Ruth 3:12-13

Ruth 3:12-13
KJV(i) 12 And now it is true that I am thy near kinsman: howbeit there is a kinsman nearer than I. 13 Tarry this night, and it shall be in the morning, that if he will perform unto thee the part of a kinsman, well; let him do the kinsman's part: but if he will not do the part of a kinsman to thee, then will I do the part of a kinsman to thee, as the LORD liveth: lie down until the morning.
NSB(i) 12 »It is true that I am a close relative, but there is a relation nearer than I. 13 »Rest here tonight. In the morning, if he wants to redeem you, for it is right for a relation to do this, very well, let him do so. But if he will not, then as surely as Jehovah lives, I will do so.«

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

12 Boaz knew there were nearer kinsmen than him and knew who he was by how he spoke. Boaz only had the right to merry her if the near kinsmen refused or his became her nearest kinsmen.

13 Boaz was a near kin and was willing to do what she asked if he was allowed by the nearest of kin. Boaz knew the importance of the near kinsmen role. She knew at this point she would soon be married. She wanted to merry Boaz but due to the laws this is the only commitment he could have made to her.

Back