Ruth 4:1-2

Ruth 4:1-2
KJV(i) 1 Then went Boaz up to the gate, and sat him down there: and, behold, the kinsman of whom Boaz spake came by; unto whom he said, Ho, such a one! turn aside, sit down here. And he turned aside, and sat down. 2 And he took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, Sit ye down here. And they sat down.
NSB(i) 1 Boaz went to the public place in the town and sat down. When the kinsman-redeemer came along, the one he had mentioned, Boaz said: »Come here, and sit down.« He came and was seated. 2 Then he got ten of the responsible men of the town, and said: »Be seated here. And they took their seats.«

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 Boaz went to take of Ruth’s marriage and sat where he was sure to find her next of kin. The gate was often a meeting place in these days, later it would be the temple. Boaz takes care of things as soon as he sees the next of kin. I am glad Christ took care of things with us before the Father. Jesus took up for us just as Boaz took up for Ruth.

2 He is having a meeting so that this man could not leave Ruth unmarried. This man could have said Boaz could marry Ruth but without there being witnesses it was not valid, also he could have said he would marry Ruth but without witness he would not be held to this.

Back