Ruth 4:3-4

Ruth 4:3-4
KJV(i) 3 And he said unto the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's: 4 And I thought to advertise thee, saying, Buy it before the inhabitants, and before the elders of my people. If thou wilt redeem it, redeem it: but if thou wilt not redeem it, then tell me, that I may know: for there is none to redeem it beside thee; and I am after thee. And he said, I will redeem it.

NSB(i) 3 Then Boaz said to the close relative: »Naomi has come back from the country of Moab. She is offering for a price that bit of land which belonged to our brother Elimelech. 4 »I am giving you a chance to take it with the approval of those seated here, the responsible men of my people. If you are ready to do what it is right for a relative to do, then do it. If you will not do it, say so to me now. There is no one who has the right to do it but you, and after you, myself.« And he said: »I will do it.«

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

3 This man would have known Naomi being the next of kin having her name brought up he may have already knew what Boaz was about to say. Women could not own land so she had to sell it to a man that could own it and care for it. This showed the Naomi did not have an inheritance.

4 The next of kin had the right to by the land back this would mean though by doing this that he would be the kinsmen redeemer and marry the woman, which here would have been Ruth and not Naomi, Naomi did not want to marry but marring Ruth means you keep Naomi taken care of. Boaz could not act as a kinsmen redeemer until this man chose not to do this.

Back