Ruth 4:5-7

Ruth 4:5-7
King James Version (KJV)
5 Then said Boaz, What day thou buyest the field of the hand of Naomi, thou must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance.
6 And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.
7 Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbour: and this was a testimony in Israel.

American English Bible
5 And Boaz said: 'Well, on the day that you buy the field from NaOmi, you must also take the Moabite woman, Ruth. For, she was the woman of your dead relative, and you must keep his name alive to receive his inheritance.' 6 But then, this relative said: 'Well if so, I won't be able to accept the responsibility of being his closest relative, for I'm afraid that it would ruin the rights of my own inheritors. Therefore, you may claim the right.' 7 Now, the custom in IsraEl at the time, when it came to establishing matters that have to do with inheritances and such, was that the man who [was giving up his right] would untie his sandal and give it to the one who would be the acting next-of-kin, to prove that he was being given the right of inheritance. For, this is how they testified to such things in IsraEl back then.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

5 The by buying this land would need to commit to the ones who left the land. The land was Ruth’s husband and Naomi’s husbands so for him to buy it he would have to agree to take care of those who were left the widows of the owners of the land.

6 It could become if one of the sons had already owned land that the inheritance would then go to the next son, this could have been what he was referring to. He knew that he had to give Boaz permission which he does. At this point Boaz has the right to buy the land and marry Ruth.

7 They exchanged sandals to show a bond or agreement. In those times a contract was not written, men’s word meant something more than it does today. Exchanging sandals was to remind of the agreement.

Back