Sabbath 2/18/17 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater, FL Pastor Keith sermon “Start Digging In”

Sabbath 2/18/17 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater, FL Pastor Keith sermon “Start Digging In” Proverbs 2:1-9, Hebrews 5:9, I Kings 8, 9, 10

There was a man who said he was old with pains, dementia, failing health but he only thanked God that he still had his driver’s license. Physical maturity comes automatically but spiritual growth and maturity does not. Spiritual growth needs to have studying of the bible, prayer and a relationship with Jesus. Only the Lord can satisfy our growth and only the Lord can give us Living Water.

Many people brag that they can quote the whole bible but we are shocked when we see the lifestyle they lead. There once was a girl who had mastered the art of speed reading. She could read out loud faster than anyone, but what was the point? No one learned anything because no one could pause to learn anything. Many people go thru life and don’t care to learn anything. Look at your years of professed Christianity. Is there any difference in your spiritual growth or your understanding of the Word of God? I want you to first remember that I’m preaching to myself as well. And second, that I’m preaching in love.

In our text in Proverbs, Solomon asked for wisdom. Solomon wrote the book of Proverbs so he could share the wisdom he learned from the Lord. In I Kings it says that Solomon was wiser than all the wise men of his time. Many people came to hear the Wisdom of Solomon. Our text says if we keep God’s commandments and seek His wisdom as if we are seeking a hidden treasure, the Lord will give us wisdom and understanding. There is not a six step process or a speed reading way to get God’s wisdom. We must try to not get caught up in the fast pace of life and forget God. We must probe and dig deeper into God’s word. We must not just want to be “entertained”. We must see the “shallow” of this world and think on God’s Word instead. Search the scriptures diligently and read God’s word at least 15 minutes a day. Turn off the TV!! God’s Word will be life changing to us all.

Hebrews 5:9 Jesus is the author of salvation and we must not be “dull” in hearing Him. When subjects start to get deep, some people start looking at their watch and are ready to go. We, who have been walking with the Lord, should be able to lead people to Christ. We should be eating “solid” food from the Word and not be like babies using a bottle of “milk”. We need to think about this because maybe we are not growing in Christ. We need to pursue God to grow spiritually. It’s all up to us!! We are to feed ourselves spiritual food from the Truth of God’s Word. Do we just rely on the pastor teaching us and feeding us the Word? We are to feed ourselves the Word!!! As we mature, we learn what is right and wrong by searching the scriptures for ourselves. We don’t need someone to tell us.

Stay in the Word of God and all our questions will answered. We will be able to teach others also. We need to feed ourselves daily on “solid” food out of the Word of God. The Word of God is the MOST beneficial, nutritious thing for our body and soul. It is like a child who doesn’t want to eat her broccoli but wants junk food instead. We as Christians should feed on the wisdom of God that is in the Word of God. Eat your broccoli! Eat the Word of God! God has shown us the path to get wisdom. He said to ask Him for it and He will give it to us. If we cry out for understanding, the Lord will give us the wisdom we desire. Pray for God to help us diligently search the scriptures of the Word of God.

AMEN

Whew! Look out, now! There is some preaching going on in here. Amen to that and amen. Hang on to your hat when you ask for Wisdom because God will give it and you will go on some life adventures to gain it. Be careful that it doesn't make you proud when you do get it, also. I Corinthians 13 tells us what can happen if you get the smarts without a heart.

Back