Sabbath 2/27/16 Seventh Day Baptist Pastor Wray sermon “Breakfast on the Beach”

Sabbath 2/27/16 Seventh Day Baptist Pastor Wray sermon “Breakfast on the Beach” John 21:1-13

Lots of folk like to go fishing and some just go to drown worms. Some people just like to eat fish. There are some people who love to eat and are on a “see” food diet. The love to eat all they see. In our text, it was a bad working day for the disciples who were fishermen. We can learn several lessons from this story. These fishermen had done all they could to catch some fish. They had caught nothing, even though this was their trade and occupation. This night they had failed and caught nothing! They were disappointed because they had come back empty handed with no fish. They had failed to catch anything. If they were in Daytona Beach today, they would have called their wives on their smartphones and said “sorry honey, no fish for dinner tonight”. Or they may have said “sorry honey, no fish to sell in the market place today to pay off our credit cards”.

Jesus asked them if they had caught any fish and they said no. Jesus told them to cast their net on the right side of the boat. These were expert fishermen but they still obeyed the Lord. We need to obey the instructions that Jesus gives us. Obey Jesus! He said come unto me all ye that are burdened and weary and I will give you rest. Take all our troubles to Jesus like He said and we will get rest and instructions from Jesus. God can guide you and me to do the right thing. When the disciples obeyed Jesus’ instructions, the net began to fill with fish. God’s miracles often happen in the day to day activities in our lives. The days of miracles have not passed because the God of miracles is still present. Trust God to do miracles for us.

Jesus invited the disciples for breakfast on the beach. He already had a fish barbecue going on at the beach. There was fish and bread waiting to be eaten by the disciples. In today’s world, Jesus invites everyone to fellowship with him. He says “Here I am. I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my knock and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him”. We need to take all our broken dreams, disappointments and hurts to Jesus. Jesus will take care of all our problems. It is no secret what God can do. What He has done for others, He will do for you. Are you ready to receive the miracles and guidance of God today? Don’t you want to have breakfast on the beach with Jesus?

AMEN

Back