Sabbath 3/24/18 Seventh Day Baptist Alfred Station NY- Palm Sabbath service Pastor Ken sermon “It Was Jesus’s Choice!”

Sabbath 3/24/18 Seventh Day Baptist Alfred Station NY- Palm Sabbath service Pastor Ken sermon “It Was Jesus’s Choice!” Matt 26:1-57, Mark 14:12-53, Luke 22:1-54, John 18:1-14

A man riding on a donkey with people laying down palm branches and crying “Hosanna”. This is Palm Sunday when Jesus came to Jerusalem. Remember the Passover that Jesus and his disciples later celebrated. Then they went to a field of olive trees at Gethsemane. This was a special place that Jesus would go to pray. He asked God to take away the cup from Him, but God’s will be done. Jesus then came back from praying and found his disciples sleeping. This was either late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning and they were tired and sleepy. Jesus went back and prayed again. His prayer was so intense that He sweat drops of blood.

Later Judas Iscariot came with the Pharisee’s soldiers. We know little about Judas Iscariot except that he was the treasurer and a thief. One time when a woman uses expensive oil to anoint Jesus, Judas got upset about the oil being used instead of being sold. At their last supper Jesus said “the one who dips his sop in with me will betray me” and this Judas Iscariot did. This is all we know about Judas Iscariot except that he sold out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. This too was earlier prophesized in the Bible to happen.

When the crowd came to take Jesus, Peter attacked with a sword and cut off a man’s ear. Jesus heals the man’s ear after telling Peter to put down his sword. Jesus said “He who lives by the sword, will die by the sword”. Jesus needs NO defense. Jesus is BIG enough to take care of Himself. Jesus said He could have called down 12 legions of angels to protect Him. A legion has 5,000 men in it. So it would have been 60,000 angels to protect Jesus. He said all He needed to do was to call on His Father. Jesus is saying He will go voluntarily with the priests and soldiers. He is choosing to go to trial. Jesus is choosing to go to Pilate. Jesus is choosing to die on the cross so we have our sins forgiven. We are ALL like sheep that have gone astray. The Lord God has laid on Jesus the iniquity of us ALL. Jesus went to the cross for you and me. He made the atonement for you. What will you do? Jesus voluntarily gave up His life for you and me. What will YOU do?

AMEN

Back