Sabbath 4/28/18 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater Pastor Keith sermon “Be a Sheep”

Sabbath 4/28/18 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater Pastor Keith sermon “Be a Sheep” John 10:1-15

Could God have thought of a better animal? Sheep are dumb and defenseless. They have no fangs or claws. They are never in a circus, never named as football team animals. Sheep are not impressive and get overlooked by the world. This is why the world overlooks the church. Sheep simply follow their shepherd. We are sheep and have no choice because God made us as sheep who follow.

All people follow something or someone. People follow the crowd, follow riches, follow drugs or follow thrills. People are natural born followers and usually follow one thing in particular. They build their life around this one thing they follow. It doesn’t matter what thing you follow because if Jesus Christ isn’t the one you follow, your life is destroyed.

We are sheep and if we want our life to have meaning, we must put Jesus FIRST and follow Him. We know our labor is not in vain when we follow Jesus. When we follow Jesus and things in our life get difficult, we have Jesus to take care of us. The secret to being content in every situation is to follow Jesus. We can do ALL things thru Christ that strengthens us! Jesus is the vine and we are the branches who get our strength from Jesus to bear fruit.

Jesus is our Good Shepherd and will always be with us. Jesus goes ahead of us and in front of us to guide us. The Lord is our shepherd we shall not want. He leads us in the paths of righteousness. The Lord Jesus Christ will be with us as we walk in the valley of the shadow of death. We will fear no evil because He is with us. The Good Shepherd is there for you and me. Jesus is looking out for our tomorrows. He said in this world we will have troubles but take heart because Jesus HAS overcome the world!

We, as Jesus’s sheep, should only follow Him, our shepherd. We should NOT follow anyone else but Jesus! The only one who can take care of the sheep and the only one who cares for the sheep is Jesus. He is the Door, the Way and we need to ONLY hear His voice. We should put our trust in Jesus ONLY!!!

AMEN

I love how Jesus said to Peter - Do you love me? feed my sheep, feed my lambs.

Some parents call their children 'my kids'. Some people excuse bad behaviour in children who act like goats by going 'what do you expect they just kids'. Then theres 'kids food' which is basically junk food dressed up with sugar and food colouring so that they will eat it. There is quite a difference between sheep and goats. Goats are independent and dont listen to anyone. If you want to keep one, best to tie it up! Goats are also known to eat weeds. but if sheep eat weeds they can become sick. Sheep are best fed grass. Sheep also live together in a flock. They are peaceful animals and would never harm anyone.

Jesus calls his followers 'my sheep'and his pet name for his children is 'my lambs'. Because He is the good shepherd. He seperates the sheep from the goats.

Back