Sabbath 6/23/18 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater Pastor Keith sermon “Freedom of Choice”

Sabbath 6/23/18 Seventh Day Baptist Edgewater Pastor Keith sermon “Freedom of Choice” Genesis 3:1-13

Adam & Eve had a choice to eat or not to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. There were plenty of other trees that had fruit that they could eat from. They were not hungry. God gave them a “Choice”. They could make choices to do evil or to do good. We all have the ability to make choices. We must make wise choices. Joshua said “choose this day who you will serve; but for me and my house, we will serve the Lord”. Prophet Elijah said to make a choice to worship and serve God or serve the idol Baal. Make a choice. Jesus said you cannot serve God and money. Make a choice.

Now that we have been set free from sin by accepting Jesus, we have made a choice. It is the wise choice of God. In our past we have all made bad choices and have sinned. The Bible says sin entered the world thru Adam and all have sinned. We must make the wise choice to follow God’s ways. We all have a tendency to make the wrong choices. We must take ownership of our own sins so then we can confess them. We must NOT blame someone else for the sinful choices we make ourselves. Adam blamed Eve for his sinful choice. Eve blamed the serpent for her sinful choice. Adam really blamed God because he said “God, this woman that YOU gave me, is the one who gave me the fruit”. People need to stop blaming others or God for their own sins. We are responsible for our sins and we are responsible for the outcome and consequences of our sins.

We need to tell people when we are wrong. We must say it was our fault and that we should not have done or said it. In Alcohol Anonymous meetings, they have to admit their addiction before the AA program will work. They say”Hi my name is Donald and I’m an alcoholic”. We need to admit our sins to ourselves and God. Then we can repent and stop the behavior. The Church is a society of sinners. It is the only place where the sinner can get God’s Grace and cleansing of sin. We CAN choose to be forgiven. We CAN choose to live our lives a new way. We CAN choose to spend Eternity with God. We KNOW we have forgiveness when we come to Jesus Christ.

AMEN

Back