Sabbath 9/5/15 Daytona SDB Church Pastor Wray sermon “The Danger of Drifting” part 1

Sabbath 9/5/15 Daytona SDB Church Pastor Wray sermon “The Danger of Drifting” part 1 Revelations 2:1-5

Many people go to the beach, get on the plastic inflatable rafts and float on the water. They just float, float on their inflatable rafts. There once was a woman who was floating on her raft and she was relaxing. She got so relaxed that she didn’t notice that she was drifting out to the ocean. Her situation of relaxing and not being aware of her surroundings, got her into a very dangerous situation. Fortunately for her, the lifeguards were able to save her.

My question is, how many of us are just coasting along in our spiritual lives. Hebrews 2:1 says we must be careful and pay attention to the Word of God. We don’t want to “drift away” in our walk with Jesus Christ. Another question: Has there ever been a time when you were closer to Jesus then you are right now? Was there ever a time when you were more committed to Christ? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are in the process of drifting. The question is, why do people drift? Some of the reasons I’m going to tell you, all start with the letter “D”.

1. D = Depth: In Matthew 13:5-7, 20-21 it says that those who settle for a shallow relationship with Jesus, will never have the depth to make it through the trials of life. The Church today has “mud puddle” depth. The lack of spiritual depth will lead to a life of “spiritual shallowness”. You will become weak and spiritually die if you don’t nourish your spiritual walk with the Word of God. We must not choose the easy path but stick with Christ. Gal. 4:8-11. We must hold strong to our relationship with Jesus Christ when we go through trials.

2. D = Deception: Deception happens when people start to follow a doctrine that is not of God. Gal. 1:6-9. We must always search the scriptures to match our own beliefs with the scriptures. We must match our beliefs with the Word of God.

3. D = Division: There will ALWAYS be people who seek to divide the people around them. Always! We must decide to stand up for God no matter what the people around us are doing. God wants us to NOT tolerate wickedness but to endure hardships for His name.
We must not drift from God and our relationship with Jesus Christ. We must remind ourselves to turn our eyes on Jesus. When we look to Jesus, the things of this world will grow dim compared to the Glory and Power of Jesus. We all need to stay alert and mindful of our duties. We must keep our mind and eyes on the Lord.

AMEN

Thank you for this study. It has some important scriptural reminders within it. It helps me to remember I must assess and correct--with HIM leading me, any drifting away so i never lose my first love. Thank you.

Back