Sacrificing Family

I was somewhat taken aback by what appears to be Billy's admission of having given up much of his time he might otherwise have had with his wife and children. There is this common thought that ministers are expected to give up being a husband and father, all for the purpose of serving the Lord. Well, the passages they have tried to use in justifying that thought to me are the following:

Luke 14:25-33
25 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them,
26 If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have [sufficient] to finish [it]?
29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish [it], all that behold [it] begin to mock him,
30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

It's always easier to place seemingly hard requirements on someone else, especially the "pastor." He is the punching bag, hired employee who traditionally does all the hospital visitations, weddings, and many other tasks the churchianity people don't want to have to deal with themselves.

When I look at the above passages, I don't see that they are limited to the "pastors" or any other in the modern ecclesiastical groupings. These passages are a direct reference to ALL of you who claim to be followers of Christ...disciples of Christ Jesus. Do you disagree with that? If so, then what are you? What else is there at the level of being a follower of Christ Jesus? How does any true believer escape these requirements in following Christ?

Nothing in those verses demands all followers of Christ actively giving up on responsibility toward wives and children. Please pay close attention to the wording where it talks about a state of mind/heart and priorities. In other words, one must love Christ more than all others, including family. That's not license to give up responsibilities to one's family for the sake of ministry...unless the Lord actually calls one to that task. Any time the Lord calls one away from his responsibility for his family, the Lord always makes up for the difference, as He is our Source and Provider in all things.

So, give this a listen if you wish, and let us know your thoughts on this:

MM

Back