Salt.

Salt.

I was reading Mark and I have a question about these below...

Mark 9:49
"For everyone will be salted with fire"

Mark 9:50

"For salt is good; but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another."

If anyone has some insight on these verses, please respond to this thread, thank you.

(And thank you to Godspeaks for the encouragement.)

When it says that everyone will be salted with fire, could it mean that everyone who has their salt go unsalty and fall away from God and all unbelievers, is that what it is referring to when it says everybody will be salted with fire? And what is salt? Is it your faith? If you were born again and then fell back into sin, is that your salt going unsalty? And if that is true but then you come back to God then does that mean God makes you salty again? (I would ask anyone not to laugh and please give serious feedback. Thank you...)

it means we lose our way,get a rude awakening and return back to the fold.ie we get disheartened and dissalusioned with the world,then we read why.

Phil - You have a good understanding of the verses - and we can also go back to Chapter 9 verse 38 where the subject of that section of the chapter starts. The sub-header of verses 38-50 might be, "Using the Name of Jesus." Please read all of Mark 9:38-50 (KJV) before you read on in this analysis...

This is a semi-parable teaching using examples of repentance. We don't literally cut off a hand, a foot or gouge an eye. The GREEK language wording shows what we are to do if we sin... we remove the SIN from ourselves, not actual body parts.

The very end of the chapter refers to what we are to do if we loose our "salt". In our earthly bodies, salt is our essence. Without the mineral salt in our earthly bodies, we shrivel up and die. This parable in the GREEK language means that God and Christ are our SPIRITUAL essence (salt) and when we loose touch with God and Christ, we can shrivel up SPIRITUALLY and die. When we then return to God and Christ and repent, we are "re-salted" spiritually and our life is restored (spiritually). In verse 49, we are shown that we are all tested with fire ( descriptive term for 'temptations' in the Greek language ) and when we loose our 'salt' and then repent, our 'salt' is restored by Our Father. You may wish to just use the word 'spirituality' in place of the word 'salt' and read verses 38-50 over again with the substitution.

Blessings...

Pastor Gary

Phil - You have a good understanding of the verses - and we can also go back to Chapter 9 verse 38 where the subject of that section of the chapter starts. The sub-header of verses 38-50 might be, "Using the Name of Jesus." Please read all of Mark 9:38-50 (KJV) before you read on in this analysis...

This is a semi-parable teaching using examples of repentance. We don't literally cut off a hand, a foot or gouge an eye. The GREEK language wording shows what we are to do if we sin... we remove the SIN from ourselves, not actual body parts.

The very end of the chapter refers to what we are to do if we loose our "salt". In our earthly bodies, salt is our essence. Without the mineral salt in our earthly bodies, we shrivel up and die. This parable in the GREEK language means that God and Christ are our SPIRITUAL essence (salt) and when we loose touch with God and Christ, we can shrivel up SPIRITUALLY and die. When we then return to God and Christ and repent, we are "re-salted" spiritually and our life is restored (spiritually). In verse 49, we are shown that we are all tested with fire ( descriptive term for 'temptations' in the Greek language ) and when we loose our 'salt' and then repent, our 'salt' is restored by Our Father. You may wish to just use the word 'spirituality' in place of the word 'salt' and read verses 38-50 over again with the substitution.

Blessings...

Pastor Gary
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

that sounds Good,i could do with some bodily salt also though.i,m spiritually aware.but my body is sadly lacking.my get up and go has gone.:smiley40:

Phil said:
"For salt is good; but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another."

And thank you to Godspeaks for the encouragement.)

You're welcome Phil. That's why we are here to encourage one another :)

We are the salt of the earth, we give it flavor. If our light is not shining for the Lord, if we do not add to this world what the Lord has given us, what good are we doing? We need to have the fruit of the spirit in our life so others can see the goodness of the Lord and glorify Him.

Matthew5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

1 Peter 2:12
Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation

Matthew 5:13
Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.
Colossians 4:6
Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

JUst as we use use salt for seasoning out food and if that salt has gone flat or lost it's taste then that salt is useless.

Same with our Christian life , if our lives are not producing fruit and we are not telling others about Christ and sharing the gospel wherever we go , how can we be the Light that Christ has told us to be . Because we have Christ , who is our light , we also can go in to the world with confidence that Jesus Christ has risen as He said and proclaim the love of God that we have in our heart because of Him .

Matthew 5:13
Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.
Colossians 4:6
Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

JUst as we use use salt for seasoning out food and if that salt has gone flat or lost it's taste then that salt is useless.

Same with our Christian life , if our lives are not producing fruit and we are not telling others about Christ and sharing the gospel wherever we go , how can we be the Light that Christ has told us to be . Because we have Christ , who is our light , we also can go in to the world with confidence that Jesus Christ has risen as He said and proclaim the love of God that we have in our heart because of Him .

Welcome back Dusty.
Looks like we are on the same wave link, thinking, saying the same thing as usual :)

and if the law brought by the Godly men has lost it,s salt let it be trooden down by the son of man.
i see your page ,but reduce your reasoning to folly.:)

our Lord gave wise words about 3 parts to make it whole.it seems people don,t understand the meaning.or just chose to be ignorant.:smiley130:

our Lord gave wise words about 3 parts to make it whole.it seems people don,t understand the meaning.or just chose to be ignorant.:smiley130:

Michael - You are correct. Complacency is an evil that destroys from within. Unless we stay in God's Word, educate ourselves and stay focused on our Christian walk, we become distant from the Lord. Unfortunately, there are some church leaders that contribute to the problem - how often do churchgoers hear snoring from the last three rows when a sermon is so boring that it puts persons to sleep? If we are not taught God's Word in a responsible manner, perhaps we should find another church or do our own independent studies. Loosing our 'salt' by not doing our job as Christians is a difficult thing to bounce back from.

Blessings...

Michael - You are correct. Complacency is an evil that destroys from within. Unless we stay in God's Word, educate ourselves and stay focused on our Christian walk, we become distant from the Lord. Unfortunately, there are some church leaders that contribute to the problem - how often do churchgoers hear snoring from the last three rows when a sermon is so boring that it puts persons to sleep? If we are not taught God's Word in a responsible manner, perhaps we should find another church or do our own independent studies. Loosing our 'salt' by not doing our job as Christians is a difficult thing to bounce back from.

Blessings...

Well, I remember a Parish Prayer Meeting once which was disturbed by someone snoring.

'God Speaks' and 'Dusty' got me thinking a bit (very painful these days).
Probably most everyone in the New Testament times were theists of one brand or other, but these days soooo many are A-theists.
My concern? here is then will a 'good' Christian witness have much effect on such persons? I'm not detracting at all from what was said in above posts, but just thinking of the discouragement that can be felt if trying to win over atheists rather than, or as well as non Christian theists.
Paul in Athens had at least an altar to an 'unknown god' on which to build a Christian message/witness, but these days..........?

blessings,
calvin

I wonder how many are atheists because they sincerely don't find the Gospel credible as opposed to those who put themselves in the atheist camp because they are angry with Him for not conforming to their desires, or because they had a bad experience with people who called themselves Christians? We do need to be consistent and honest (salty) in our walk and witness, even when it seems hopeless, because we really never know what seed we sow may find a cranny in someone's soul with a little dirt and moisture. We can also have confidence in the Holy Spirit Who can reach into the deepest, darkest corners of a person's soul.

I wonder how many are atheists because they sincerely don't find the Gospel credible as opposed to those who put themselves in the atheist camp because they are angry with Him for not conforming to their desires, or because they had a bad experience with people who called themselves Christians? We do need to be consistent and honest (salty) in our walk and witness, even when it seems hopeless, because we really never know what seed we sow may find a cranny in someone's soul with a little dirt and moisture. We can also have confidence in the Holy Spirit Who can reach into the deepest, darkest corners of a person's soul.
Well it could be many that fit that mould. I have come across quite a few who are angry or disallusioned.
To be angry with God or miffed because He doesn't jump through our hoops requires a belief in Him nonetheless.
There are those who just do not believe the witness of God in His Creation cf Rom 1:18-32. It is these I have in mind when I talk of atheists.
blessings
calvin

many get a bad taste in there mouths by others,then blame God for the bad taste.anybody can be led astray.being kept away from evil does matter.although tv radio etc is used.

Well it could be many that fit that mould. I have come across quite a few who are angry or disallusioned.
To be angry with God or miffed because He doesn't jump through our hoops requires a belief in Him nonetheless.
There are those who just do not believe the witness of God in His Creation cf Rom 1:18-32. It is these I have in mind when I talk of atheists.
blessings
calvin

Yes, sadly, the influence of the Church doesn't seem to be as pervasive as it once was, at least in countries that have traditionally been thought of as "Christian" nations. And much of that influence has been of such a nature that many people dismiss Christianity as a crackpot belief system and so don't give it any serious consideration.

Still, all the more reason to be consistent and persistent in our walk and witness. As long as they have breath in their bodies, there is hope.:)

Back