Salvation: The Work of Our Sovereign God

Ephesians 2:1-10

Salvation refers to the freedom gained when God rescues a person from slavery
to sin and makes him or her part of His family. This deliverance is accomplished only through His Son Jesus, who died in our place so we might be reconciled to the Father (Colossians 1:22). This statement often evokes questions:

1. What if I try to live morally right, working hard at my job and being good to my family— won’t God accept me? Such questions assume that the Lord saves us on the basis ofthe way we live. But Romans 3:10 says, “There is none righteous, not even one.” In God’ssight, even our righteous acts are like dirty rags (Isaiah 64:6 NIV). Holy God will not have dealings with unrighteous people apart from Jesus Christ.

2. Won’t the Lord accept us because of His goodness? God is loving and good, but He isalso just. He won’t overlook sin, no matter how small we think it is. Pride makes usreject the idea that we need forgiveness or cleansing from sin.

3. If we serve in our church or help the poor in God’s name, aren’t we part of His family? Good works do not solve our sin problem or reconcile us to God. Only Jesus does (Romans 5:1). Good works are an important result of salvation, not a basis for it.

Salvation is a work of God’s grace, not the product of man’s effort. When we respond to the Spirit’s prompting, believe in Jesus, and are born again as God’s children (John 3:3), we can be assured of our place in heaven. How sure are you?

Dr.Charles Stanley
In touch Ministries

Truly without His mercy we are lost as God takes no pleasure in the legs (strength) of a man-

Rom 9:16
So686 then3767 it is not3756 of him that willeth,2309 nor3761 of him that runneth,5143 but235 of God2316 that showeth mercy.1653

Man's efforts apart from God bear no lasting fruit but a man led by God can change the world!

Back