Saved by divine interruption

Interruptions are divine instructions.

It's one of my favorite sayings and can be shown many places in the Scriptures.

Proverbs 16:9 KJVS
A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.

We driving home from visiting my inlaws and we were behind a slow, old car. It was a nicely restored 51' Chevy and they weren't in any hurry. There was only one passing place on the highway for several miles and I pulled out to pass when we got there. No traffic was coming and the way was clear. For some reason I decided not to pass. I just pulled back in behind the Chevy and continued slowly on. I was about to see why I didn't pass when I could have.

A few miles farther on from a road on the right a pickup came tearing onto the highway without slowing down. It sides wiped the old car hitting it right in the passenger door.

I took the license number of the truck as it sped around me. There were three men inside. I called the sheriff and 911. The young couple and their baby in the old car were shook up but no major injuries. My wife held their baby and brushed broken glass from it's blanket. The nice old car was really messed up.

If we had passed that car we would have been hit instead of them. Now I'm not glad they were hit but it's a principle with God that when tragedy strikes He hides his people under the protection of his name.

We didn't know it but my wife was pregnant. A pregnancy we had been waiting on from the Lord. He'd told us two years before He was going to send us a son after 14 years of childlessness. My wife couldn't conceive and we'd had all kinds of tests and procedures. Jesus told us we would though so this was not a normal pregnancy. It was a miracle and we didn't know it had arrived.

If we had been hit by that truck I don't know what would have happened to my wife or our son who was born the next June.

Interruptions are indeed divine instructions.

I hadn't heard any voice or strong urge not to pass that car but somehow I just felt I didn't need to pass that car. God in some way we can't comprehend, tells us what or what not to do. He saved us and our baby by doing that. Satan was angry because God was going to bless us and wanted to kill, steal and destroy but my Heavenly Father wouldn't let him. Thank you Jesus for saving us from harm!

Proverbs 22:3 (NKJV)
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself,
But the simple pass on and are punished.

No need to try and determine how many ways God can speak to us they are endless. Even to putting tax money in a fishes mouth or telling you not to pass that slow car.

Thank you Lord and praise you!

One of the things that often leaves me awestruck with wonder is how many of these divine interruptions (which I refer to as interventions, rightly or wrongly), occur without our knowledge. How many times, as an example, when you've tried to leave the house and are running late, and you get in the car only to realize that you've forgotten your car keys, then drop your purse and have to pick up everything, and now are running really late - how many of these type of instances are actually divine interventions? if you had left on time, was there a semi out there who ran the stop sign at just the time you would have entered the intersection had you left on time? For every intervention that we are aware of, I wonder how many that we don't know about simply because nothing happened to us. I think that most of us can testify to similar experiences where it is clear that the Lord intervened on our behalf. Indeed, these events are a reminder that the Lord watches out for us, possibly a lot more than we ever could imagine. Praise God indeed!!!!

Right out of college I was sought after, interviewed, and sent a contract to teach high school in a small rural community. I had some misgivings about the interview but the pay was good. And it seemed like such a good opportunity not many miles from my home town. So I had signed the contract and was ready to officially take the offer. Back then everything was done by phone or letter without computers as there were none. I was on my way out the door to mail the envelope when the phone ran. It was a friend who worked for the local school district. She asked that I come down because her boss wanted to talk with me. So, I did and decided not to send in the envelope yet. I did meet with her boss who suggested I not get into that school in that position as a Christian friend of hers who had worked there some time would be fired if I did. She then explained why that school district (a different one than hers) was going to fire this woman. It had to do with opinions she held which I knew I also held. And this did confirm my somewhat uneasiness in taking the job.

I never mailed the contract and let them know I was not interested. Actually I stepped out in faith and answered another call (this one from God) and was so blessed to give three years of my life as a missionary/teacher in a mission/school for Alaskan native children in the State of Alaska far away from my hometown in the Pacific NW. This is something I had felt led to consider for some time only I didn't want to disappoint my family by moving so far away and not taking the good job near them. Because of that phone call (by an obedient Christian lady) I decided to serve in Alaska for no pay except travel expenses and I would be living at the mission in their quarters and get meals as well. The rest, as they say, is history. And through all of that I met my husband who was also a missionary at the time. As I look back I know God intervened. Besides the time in the missions were some of the best years of my life...I don't know whether the Christian lady got to keep her job or not; but I do know that I surely wasn't to be there instead of where God wanted me to go. It was so long ago. I remain grateful to this day.

"...I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight...: (Isa. 42:16)

Last edited:
Sandpiper: It is truly a wonder how the Lord takes care of his flock and does what is best for all of us. Thank you for sharing this account of Godly intervention, and imagine what your life would have been like had the Lord not stopped you from submitting that contract: 1) You would have found yourself in a less than friendly environment 2) You would have missed a marvellous opportunity to do missionary work in Alaska and 3) You would not have met your husband. Look at all the blessings you received because you listened to that little voice in your head that told you to hold off from mailing that contract.

God be praised!!!!

Sandpiper: It is truly a wonder how the Lord takes care of his flock and does what is best for all of us. Thank you for sharing this account of Godly intervention, and imagine what your life would have been like had the Lord not stopped you from submitting that contract: 1) You would have found yourself in a less than friendly environment 2) You would have missed a marvellous opportunity to do missionary work in Alaska and 3) You would not have met your husband. Look at all the blessings you received because you listened to that little voice in your head that told you to hold off from mailing that contract.

God be praised!!!!

And I also think that God used those people to help point me in the right direction as He often does use people in my journey. After our time in the missions (including one year after we were married) we lived in Alaska 34 years. The kids, now in their 40's and 50's, still consider it home and one still lives there. For that I am thankful and give God the glory!

Sandpiper: I can't say I blame anyone for wanting to stay in Alaska. It is truly beautiful. I visited there about 3 years ago during the late spring and to me it felt so much like home. The landscape around Juno is similar in many ways to where I live now.

Once I was scheduled to go to the airport and pick up someone. I found myself waiting around our office and dawdling around. It was if I was waiting on something else. Finally I left for the thirty minute drive. On the way the traffic was stopped so I asked another driver what the holdup was. He said that someone had been hit by a car. Leaving my car there I walked to the place where a man lie in the road unconscious in a large pool of blood. He had parked and gotten out of his car and been hit by another that was passing by.

I knelt down and put my hands on him and began to pray in the spirit. I also prayed with my understanding for God to save and heal him. The paramedics arrived and asked me to step aside. Later I called the hospital and inquired after his condition. They gave me the name of relatives whom I contacted. Turned out the accident victim's father in law was an Assembly of God pastor. He said that when they first examined his son in law they didn't expect him to live. Later they decided his injuries were not critical and only lacerations which bled a lot! He recovered fully.

The Lord had me hanging around that office so that He could have me be there at the accident and pray for the man that was struck.

Interruptions are truly divine instructions.

Last edited:
Once I was scheduled to go to the airport and pick up someone. I found myself waiting around our office and dawdling around. It was if I was waiting on something else. Finally I left for the thirty minute drive. On the way the traffic was stopped so I asked another driver what the holdup was. He said that someone had been hit by a car. Leaving my car there I walked to the place where a man lie in the road unconscious in a large pool of blood. He had parked and gotten out of his car and been hit by another that was passing by.

I knelt down and put my hands on him and began to pray in the spirit. I also prayed with my understanding for God to save and heal him. The paramedics arrived and asked me to step aside. Later I called the hospital and inquired after his condition. They gave me the name of relatives whom I contacted. Turned out the accident victim's father in law was an Assembly of God pastor. He said that when they first examined his son in law they didn't expect him to live. Later they decided his injuries were not critical and only lacerations which bled a lot! He recovered fully.

The Lord had me hanging around that office so that He could have me be there at the accident and pray for the man that was struck.

Interruptions are truly divine instructions.
Truly a Divine interruption. Thanks for sharing that, FrankLee. Praise Jesus, Our Savior, Healer, Baptizer, and King. Bless you for your obedience..a good Samaritan you were too by following up with the call to the hospital and the relatives.

Back