Saying God's Name In Vain.

Hi all, silly question, but what does it mean to say the Lord's name in vain? If one says things like good Lord, Lord help me, God, you're stupid(not saying God's stupid but saying to someone they're stupid), does that constitute to saying His name in vain.?

I would say anyone who tries to associate the name of God, Lord, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, the Father with evil, or wickedness, while saying their message is from the Lord.
They use his name as a means to deceive others to come to darkness instead of the true light of God.

2Co_11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2Pe_2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Exo 20:7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

I would say anyone who tries to associate the name of God, Lord, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, the Father with evil, or wickedness, while saying their message is from the Lord.
They use his name as a means to deceive others to come to darkness instead of the true light of God.

2Co_11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2Pe_2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Exo 20:7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
Thanks.
But what about saying, Good God or Lord have mercy? Is that wrong?

these are not good habits..and seem a little offensive...but we are NOT UNDER THE LAW! The reason you have these desires is because the strength of sin, is the law! Being under the law (or seeing oneself under the law) produces sinful passions and desires to break the law!

these are not good habits..and seem a little offensive...but we are NOT UNDER THE LAW! The reason you have these desires is because the strength of sin, is the law! Being under the law (or seeing oneself under the law) produces sinful passions and desires to break the law!
Look I know this don't make sense...but its the truth and its made absolutely clear in the scriptures. The reason many of the folks on this forum struggle so much with sin, and issues like this, is because they have believed a lie that they are under the Ten Commandments.

There does exist a connection between the heart of a person and his/her mouth.

Luke 6:45 (NLT)
A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart.

We who are Christ's and have His goodness living in us have a duty before Him to be aware of what we speak and to cast aside the expression of what pops into our minds. It takes a concerted effort for some to control that tongue, but God is always faithful to help us, and when we exercise care and due diligence, we can overcome what to some can become bad habits...or they were already firmly ensconced remnants of bad habits we have had in our lives before Christ.

We need to be on top of these things because the words we speak can defile us and damage our witness for Christ.

Matthew 15:18 (NLT)
But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what defiles you.

Hi all, silly question, but what does it mean to say the Lord's name in vain? If one says things like good Lord, Lord help me, God, you're stupid(not saying God's stupid but saying to someone they're stupid), does that constitute to saying His name in vain.?

Simply said Pat........It means to defame anything that is speaking of God or takes away from praising Him.

The quote from the Ten Commandments is: "Don't take the name of the Lord your God in vain."

The idea of vanity (and I think the Hebrew carries this connotation) is "don't empty the name."

So it doesn't just refer to a certain tone of voice or a certain use of the word. It's dealing with God and speaking of God in a way that empties him of his significance. This includes both throw-away words—like "God!" or "Jesus!"—even "God bless you" when one sneezes as well as speaking about him in trifling and flippant ways. Not just swear ways but cheap ways, low and insignificant ways that just treat him like a commodity. And when you hear them you sense that there is no weight to that sentence, no corresponding emotion to that statement. It seems to have just been gutted.

God, Christ, the cross, the things he is and the things he did are great, and they're weighty. And there's a certain corresponding demeanor of worship that should be there. So I think taking the Lord's name in vain is more than "O my God!" or "Jesus Christ!" It is that plus more.

Simply said Pat........It means to defame anything that is speaking of God or takes away from praising Him.

The quote from the Ten Commandments is: "Don't take the name of the Lord your God in vain."

The idea of vanity (and I think the Hebrew carries this connotation) is "don't empty the name."

So it doesn't just refer to a certain tone of voice or a certain use of the word. It's dealing with God and speaking of God in a way that empties him of his significance. This includes both throw-away words—like "God!" or "Jesus!"—even "God bless you" when one sneezes as well as speaking about him in trifling and flippant ways. Not just swear ways but cheap ways, low and insignificant ways that just treat him like a commodity. And when you hear them you sense that there is no weight to that sentence, no corresponding emotion to that statement. It seems to have just been gutted.

God, Christ, the cross, the things he is and the things he did are great, and they're weighty. And there's a certain corresponding demeanor of worship that should be there. So I think taking the Lord's name in vain is more than "O my God!" or "Jesus Christ!" It is that plus more.
Oh. Ok thanks.

I would say it has to do less with vocabulary and more with ambassadorship. As a follower of God (and Jesus), do not proclaim something in His name to gain personal attention (money, fame, etc.). In the bible, the people who were making it known they were giving large sums of money, or the ones who were purposely looking dishevelled while fasting were taking the Lord's name in vain.

With that said, you should never use 'God' or Jesus in any context other than praise.

On a lighter note, I have a co-worker who is Hindu. One day, I heard him hang the phone up in anger, and say Jesus Christ. He looked up at me, and I said, "I'm glad to hear you admit it". He wasn't sure what to say.....

Look I know this don't make sense...but its the truth and its made absolutely clear in the scriptures. The reason many of the folks on this forum struggle so much with sin, and issues like this, is because they have believed a lie that they are under the Ten Commandments.
I've never heard of this before, Mitspa. What do you intend by being "under the Ten Commandments"? That you are "under" condemnation with punishment for not doing them?

And there are those who misuse the Name by falsely claiming He has done miracles that He did not do. That, too, sullies the Name.

Long ago, I was with a family member who often said, "O Lordy," "my L-rd" and such. I was tired of hearing it and wanted to make a point, so the next time she used one of these euphemisms, in my best deep "male" voice, I answered, "YES?" She was offended and reprimanded me. I answered, "Well, you were calling His Name, so I thought you might like to hear an answer." I don't think she ever got it. Point lost.

I've never heard of this before, Mitspa. What do you intend by being "under the Ten Commandments"? That you are "under" condemnation with punishment for not doing them?
Well the purpose and glory of the law is to condemn and its made clear the law produces sinful passions and desires in the flesh of those who believe they are under the law.

Back