Scientist sue to stop'black hole' from sucking up earth

Scientist sue to stop'black hole' from sucking up earth

Scientists sue to stop 'black hole' from sucking up Earth
Fear experiments could create 'vacuum' and consume planet

Posted: September 01, 2008
8:20 pm Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A European court says the idea a new supercollider project could create a "celestial vacuum" and eventually consume the Earth is worth discussing, but the project can move forward on schedule anyway.

collider.jpg

The Large Hadron Collider

At dispute is what could happen should planned experiments at the supercollider built near Geneva by the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, go awry when the massive atomic particle smasher is fired up about this time next week.

Several scientists led by spokesman Otto Rossler, a German chemist, have filed a case in the European Court of Human Rights seeking a delay in the project's opening while the potential problems are studied further.

Rossler said in a report in the Telegraph that the sponsoring organization has admitted its work will create black holes – but it doesn't think that will be a risk. He has another opinion.

My own calculations have shown it is quite plausible that these little black holes survive and will grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside. I have been calling for CERN to hold a safety conference to prove my conclusions wrong but they have not been willing," he said.

WND also reported on an earlier lawsuit over whether the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland, which is built to slam protons together at an unprecedented peak energy of 14 trillion electron volts, could spark, literally, the end of the world.

Critics at that time had filed a lawsuit against the U.S. government and the CERN. A hearing is scheduled later this week in the case.

Co-plaintiffs Walter Wagner and Luis Sancho said the collider could create black holes – or strangelets – that would grow and eventually consume Earth. A black hole is a region of space so dense that light cannot escape its gravitational pull. Scientists have not proved the existence of strangelets, a hypothetical cosmological object containing an exotic form of matter.

Physicists at CERN and similar research facilities dismiss the doomsday claims as nonsense.

And a spokeswoman for the European Court of Human Rights told the Telegraph the latest lawsuit, brought by Rossler and others, had been lodged but a petition for an emergency injunction against the project was rejected.

"There will therefore be no bar to CERN carrying out these experiments but the applicants can continue with this case here at the ECHR," she said.

The goal of the project is to re-create the conditions scientists believe existed in a fraction of a second after the universe was created. They are looking for evidence of the building blocks of life.

The nearly $9 billion project has been funded by more than a dozen nations, and CERN spokesman James Gillies said "extensive safety assessments" have been completed.

"The Large Hadron Collider will not be producing anything that does not happen routinely in nature due to cosmic rays," he told the Sunday Telegraph. "If they were dangerous we would know about it already."

Other colliders already have been operating for years, but the CERN project is raising questions anew because of its size. It is a circular tunnel about 300 feet underground that runs for about 18 miles. The more than 5,000 magnets inside are expected to accelerate tiny particles almost to the speed of light, dispatching them around the tunnel in one-11,000th of a second, according to the Daily Mail.

The particles then will smash headon in collisions that will generate enough heat to melt a small car. Scientists hope the collisions will produce new scientific information.

Rossler said the scientists sought court help because CERN operators are not taking "all the precautions they should be in order to protect human life."

Retrieved from Scientists sue to stop 'black hole' from sucking up Earth

And all the hungry people in the world why?

I also read that scientists think they can create life from dead matter. I will really be impressed when they can create matter from NOTHING. :D:D

I don't really understand there talk and I done believe in the big bang but there first beam or what ever sent today was a success...

LOL.

So scientists are now trying to spend all this money to try to prove something that never happened? :D

It can be debated among people, and among Christians per Creationism and evolution. The thing is, I believe in the Big Bang, but my Big Bang is a little different than Evolution's Big Bang. My Big Bang happened 6000 years ago, and it happened when God just simply spoke words, and all of matter into existence.

But that's not really the issue.

The thing that really gets me angry about this issue is that about $1,000,000,000,000 (EDIT: Sorry, it's a not trillion, its billion) has been spent in the name "science" for this project, when there are starving children in Africa, poor in China, and diseased in the Middle East, who are in desperate need of our help. So how about the scientists with money stop getting all googly-eyed over Covalent Bonds, and hydrogen atoms, and start helping people. Just a thought, I love science, but I love people way more.

The thing that really gets me angry about this issue is that about $1,000,000,000,000 has been spent in the name "science" for this project, when there are starving children in Africa, poor in China, and diseased in the Middle East, who are in desperate need of our help. So how about the scientists with money stop getting all googly-eyed over Covalent Bonds, and hydrogen atoms, and start helping people. Just a thought, I love science, but I love people way more.

To God be the revenge :)

Their end is coming, believe me.

LOL.

But that's not really the issue.

The thing that really gets me angry about this issue is that about $1,000,000,000,000 has been spent in the name "science" for this project, when there are starving children in Africa, poor in China, and diseased in the Middle East, who are in desperate need of our help. So how about the scientists with money stop getting all googly-eyed over Covalent Bonds, and hydrogen atoms, and start helping people. Just a thought, I love science, but I love people way more.

Actually the LHC cost around 6 billion, not a trillion. That's a huge difference. If you want to be angry about money being spent in the wrong places. How about the nearly 600billion spent alone in Iraq, or around a 1 trillion in financial bailouts this year.

Actually the LHC cost around 6 billion, not a trillion. That's a huge difference. If you want to be angry about money being spent in the wrong places. How about the nearly 600billion spent alone in Iraq, or around a 1 trillion in financial bailouts this year.

I apologize, dude. That is a big difference, but it's still a large sum of money nonetheless.

And your absolutely correct in talking about all the money spent on War, and Economic "bail outs"

Sorry, for the mistake ;)

This still bothers me some, maybe we are mere men, but men being used by another force is capable of a lot of destruction. I know where I go should it annihilate us, I just wish my friends would believe me about God so that should the worst happen they will be in peace and not the hell they are currently going towards ='(

Back