Seeking God

And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
Psalm 9:10

I always had a problem with verses such as this (there are others that appear throughout the Bible), and yesterday, when I was reading Psalms 9 and I came across this verses, I decided to look up the word "seek", using dictionary.com.

The archaic usage of the word seek is to search or explore. Therefore, if we don't want to be left by God (which, I believe, can happen. Please correct me if I am wrong), we must search and "explore" the Scriptures. That's what I got from that verse, and that really helps me with an issue I was having (Praise God!).

We have to stay rooted in the faith, or else we won't even be justified by Jesus, according to this verse:

In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Colossians 1:22-23

The point is, that if you feel like you are backsliding or moving farther away from God, chances are that you are moving farther away from God, and you need to get back to reading His Word.

PS I tried my best to stick to God and not my own theology, which was probably unlike what I would say because I came home from a charismatic church just a while back.

Back