Selecting Bible Quoting And Misinterpreting.

Yeah, lots of people do it. Then they teach and deceive others. How does one know which interpretation is right? Or maybe I should start a new thread for this. But I'm scared it will turn into useless bickering.

Yeah, lots of people do it. Then they teach and deceive others. How does one know which interpretation is right? Or maybe I should start a new thread for this. But I'm scared it will turn into useless bickering.
I guarantee there will be disagreement on this one. I already have a response, and most won't side with me on it.

I guarantee there will be disagreement on this one. I already have a response, and most won't side with me on it.
The only way out is to humbly accept the fact that communication originator is perfect and communication receiver is imperfect! Us getting scripture wrong is not a problem of Holy Spirit.. So the question "How Holy Spirit conveys interpretation differently to each one?" is an absolute invalid question! Because Holy Spirit is not conveying differently.. We are receiving it differently.. Though it might sound like a simple semantics, it is the absolute truth..

Context is vital.

Consider a popular verse within its context:

Jeremiah 29 (NLT)

This is what Jeremiah’s letter said:
4 This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says to all the captives he has exiled to Babylon from Jerusalem: 5 “Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens, and eat the food they produce. 6 Marry and have children. Then find spouses for them so that you may have many grandchildren. Multiply! Do not dwindle away! 7 And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.”

8 This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let your prophets and fortune-tellers who are with you in the land of Babylon trick you. Do not listen to their dreams, 9 because they are telling you lies in my name. I have not sent them,” says the Lord.

10 This is what the Lord says: “You will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”
I'm sure God does have good plans for us, but we're not who He was talking to.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. (‭Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ NLT)

What about the verse before this one.

I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. (‭Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭12‬ NLT)

This is about being content with what we have, not about weight lifting. I see this one out of context. Google the images related to the verse and you'll see what I mean.

Matt 4 is the most classic example of the evil in half truths.

Even more 'classic' is the means to deal with all error. Matt 4:7 Jesus answered him, “It is 1. also 2. written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test'.

Also = take all scripture / use scripture to provide context on other scripture 2 Tim 3:16
Written = take scripture, not opinion John 1:1.

Context is vital.

Consider a popular verse within its context:

I'm sure God does have good plans for us, but we're not who He was talking to.

I like most everyone on this forum can pick out a Bible verse and make it say what I want it to say.

That is the great error of people are those who come to the Word of God with their pre-conceived agenda wanting to validate that agenda with Scripture. To do that they must leave out the "CONTEXT" as HMS has just said.

Bible study can not be done on the "Burger King " philosophy......."You can have it your way".

NO! It is God's way or it is NO WAY at all. It must be accepted as the way it was written with CONTEXT applied or it is nothing but a lie used by those who are really false teachers which the Lord Jesus and Paul warned us about.

See, the irony of that is that it's EXACTLY what False teachers say too..... The difference is that those sort of people have an Agenda that they use Scripture to promote.....

So... Say their agenda is to Destroy Charismatics.... They go find ALL the verses that talk about Apostasy and Disorderliness and misuse of the Spirit, false prophecy, etc..... And they use that as a Hammer....

Or... Say their agenda is to destroy Liberals.... They go find ALL the verses that talk about "Unlawfulness" and Sin and Carnal nature and Greed and Envy and the Righteousness of God and the rightful Possession of Believers.... and they use that as a Hammer.....

One thing for me....
You have to take the WHOLE scripture - from Genesis to Revelation....
That's when you start to see that a Question that was asked in Exodus is answered in John.....
Statements made by Jesus, quoted in John are Explained in Proverbs.....
Disciples confusion at the end of the Synoptic gospels is explained in Isaiah.....
Levitical laws and promises that clunk through Ruth then resolve important questions in Matthew....

One verse theology causes ALL sorts of trouble....
People who live only in Paul's Epistles tend to fall into one sort of error....
People who live only in the Torah tend to fall into another sort of error....

So... It worries me when I run into people who really like to disclaim certain books of the Bible..... like.... Say....
James and Esther..... Or... People who would disclaim the Law of God.....

Thanks

Last edited:
Some good examples of half truths:

1. "You should not trust Peter with your children. I once saw him smack a child with his open hand." In this example the statement could be true, but Peter may have slapped the child on the back because he was choking.

2. "I'm a really good driver. In the past thirty years, I have gotten only four speeding tickets"* This statement is true, but irrelevant if the speaker started driving a week ago.

3. After being stopped for drunk driving, the inebriated driver proclaims "I only had a couple of beers" in slurred speech. The driver may have also consumed alcoholic drinks other than beer, and the "beers" may have been large bottles as opposed to the usual contents of a normal-sized can, bottle, or glass.

4. The classic story about blind men and an elephant. Each blind man touches a different part of the elephant and reaches a different conclusion about the nature of the elephant; while each man's experience of the elephant is accurate, none of them have a full understanding of the nature of the beast. One may be touching the tail and believe that the elephant is long and thin, another may be touching the belly and say that it is round and big.

5. "False dichotomy": the formal fallacy of false dilemma, also known as false choice, falsified dilemma, fallacy of the excluded middle, black and white thinking, false correlative, either/or fallacy, and bifurcation—involves a situation in which two alternative statements are held to be the only possible options, when in reality there exist one or more other options which have not been considered or presented to the listeners.

Satan loves this verse to blame God for when there's problems in one's life:

Job 1:21 (KJV)
And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

Job blamed God for his problems - sound familiar? So do Christians in James and in Romans.

Romans 8:28 (KJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

"Oh poor him..., 'all things work together for good...'" That's blaming God for our problems. If we have superabundance of grace then why would God send evil!? He doesn't! It's all cause and effect. Otherwise this next verse is a lie:

Romans 8:32 (KJV)
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

So, having learned this, Job then said:

Job 42:5 (KJV)
I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Did God curse the world? Nope...

Genesis 3:17 (KJV)
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life;

Why are we suffering is salvation means deliverance, welfare, prosperity, deliverance, victory then why?

We nullify the grace of God by our disbelief.

Galatians 2:21 (KJV)
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

To frustrate is
1. to do away with, to set aside, disregard
2. to thwart the efficacy of anything, nullify, make void, frustrate
3. to reject, to refuse, to slight

We reject God's grace for our own understanding...

Proverbs 3:5 (KJV)
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Is it possible that rebuttal is typical to personal advocacy of some kind, then in variance moving argument not to the truth but to personal view?

Bickering can be the truthful-rebuttal's greatest antagonist, yet with the truth disclosed, bickering will unknowingly diminish its own impact.

When I was younger I often diminished my position with vain assertions

6* As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
7* Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
8* Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Are we to use the tools this world has provided us by making sure every conclusion you come up with was based on the full context of what you read? Do they not teach this in schools and colleges we attend? Would these be considered, "rudiments of the world"? Paul warns us that it is not by these things that scripture is understood, but only by the "anointing" which is Christ.
Why use the worlds methods which is not of God? If this was true than only the intelligent and educated would have the revelation of God which is only of the flesh.

How can a spiritual being who inhabits all time and eternity all at the same time be limited to a paragraph? His ways are not always in a sequential order not does he stay contained to to any particular time zone to where is Words are flowing from speaking of the beginning and then the end of things all within a couple verses of scripture. How can this person be limited to a context when he is all over the place? Logical thinking and or reasoning will not gain true revelation from God.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. (‭Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬ NLT)

What about the verse before this one.

I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. (‭Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭12‬ NLT)

This is about being content with what we have, not about weight lifting. I see this one out of context. Google the images related to the verse and you'll see what I mean.
Even though I agree with you that scriptures can be taken out of context, but couldn't this verse uplift a person who may need physical strength as well? I guess I am referring to more like Samson? In Judges 16:28 Samson calls upon the Lord to strengthen him (physical strength). This glorified God to have his enemies defeated therefore I believe that in this day and age people can use strength to glorify God and we can do everything through our Lord and Savior.

I just think we shouldn't condemn people or lay blame that they use a verse to inspire them to do better for the Lord. God Bless

The only way out is to humbly accept the fact that communication originator is perfect and communication receiver is imperfect! Us getting scripture wrong is not a problem of Holy Spirit.. So the question "How Holy Spirit conveys interpretation differently to each one?" is an absolute invalid question! Because Holy Spirit is not conveying differently.. We are receiving it differently.. Though it might sound like a simple semantics, it is the absolute truth..
I do not think that we all see scripture differently as a bad thing. Jesus used the things of this world to describe spiritual truth so man could get an understanding of how His eternal Kingdom works. He used faith as a seed, faith is not a seed it is only like a seed, so, Jesus described truth different than what it really was. In mathematics there are many ways to up with the same answer and they all would be correct. The important part is not in how we see truth, but the outcome we all come up with. They should be the same.

Here's a well-known verse...

My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)

It's a great promise, but if you read it in context, you'll see it's linked to the Philippian believers having supplied Paul's needs. This is an example of "all these things will be added unto you" when you seek the kingdom of God.

But I rejoice in the Lord greatly, that now at length you have revived your thought for me; in which you did indeed take thought, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect to lack, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content in it. I know how to be humbled, and I know also how to abound. In everything and in all things I have learned the secret both to be filled and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in need. I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. However you did well that you shared in my affliction. You yourselves also know, you Philippians, that in the beginning of the Good News, when I departed from Macedonia, no assembly shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you only. For even in Thessalonica you sent once and again to my need. Not that I seek for the gift, but I seek for the fruit that increases to your account. But I have all things, and abound. I am filled, having received from Epaphroditus the things that came from you, a sweet-smelling fragrance, an acceptable and well-pleasing sacrifice to God. My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.(Philippians 4:10-19)

Back