Self control

Self control

I have a question.

Self control is one of the things listed in the bible as a fruit of the Spirit....along with several other things. If we struggle in an area of self control..or love, or anyone one of the fruit..does that mean we do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit...and if we do then why would we struggle with exibiting the fruit?

Thanks for helping me in this.

blessings,
Mary

Self control is one of the things listed in the bible as a fruit of the Spirit....along with several other things. If we struggle in an area of self control..or love, or anyone one of the fruit..does that mean we do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
Not necessarily.

There is always a struggle at first:

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity

The english kjv word used was "add".

The transliterated word from greek was epichorégeó meaning:

1) to supply, furnish, present
2) to be supplied, ministered to, assisted

So we need to supply or furnish self control to our faith. And that cannot be done in an instant. So there will be a struggle at the beginning.

But a Christian would eventually have that.

I have a question.

Self control is one of the things listed in the bible as a fruit of the Spirit....along with several other things. If we struggle in an area of self control..or love, or anyone one of the fruit..does that mean we do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit...and if we do then why would we struggle with exibiting the fruit?

Thanks for helping me in this.

blessings,
Mary

Hi Mary ..... John has given you a great answer and I just want to say that when we were saved , the Holy Spirit came to indwell in us and the Holy Spirit is the One who shows us different areas of our life that need perfecting . I am convinced that what you are feeling is the Holy Spirit's nudge to continue on your path asking Him to help you in the areas that need help .

We all struggle with certain areas of our life and that is why we need to lean more on His understanding and not our own .

2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Philippians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Fruit is not like the gifts, that are freely given. Fruit has to be developed and that takes time. As look as we are asking the Lord to help us in those areas, He gives grace.

Back