Sermon On The Mount

The Beatitudes are perhaps my favorite section of scripture. Just when I thought I've plumbed its depths, there proves to be more.

So, why are the "poor in spirit" blessed? An example is found in Luke 18:10-14. Two men prayed. The one who was so pleased with his own righteousness, him we could call "rich in spirit". He thinks he's so good, what need is there for salvation? He doesn't seek God's righteousness and riches because he has his own. The publican beat his chest in sorrow. "Forgive me, a sinner," he said. That is a man who is poor in spirit. And he went home justified. The Beatitudes are a journey and being poor in spirit is the first step. It is also a journey that we keep cycling through, however. It is easy to start shrugging off this part. Poor in spirit...humility?... I'm all over this! I've got humility nailed! (smirk) As we grow we have to go back remind ourselves of our dependence on God. It is all Him.

By the way, there will be some questions as to the role of humility in "meekness" if humility before God is in mind here. I don't want to clutter and complicate the thought right now, but we'll address the difference in the meanings soon.

:):)
The Beatitudes are perhaps my favorite section of scripture. Just when I thought I've plumbed its depths, there proves to be more.

So, why are the "poor in spirit" blessed? An example is found in Luke 18:10-14. Two men prayed. The one who was so pleased with his own righteousness, him we could call "rich in spirit". He thinks he's so good, what need is there for salvation? He doesn't seek God's righteousness and riches because he has his own. The publican beat his chest in sorrow. "Forgive me, a sinner," he said. That is a man who is poor in spirit. And he went home justified. The Beatitudes are a journey and being poor in spirit is the first step. It is also a journey that we keep cycling through, however. It is easy to start shrugging off this part. Poor in spirit...humility?... I'm all over this! I've got humility nailed! (smirk) As we grow we have to go back remind ourselves of our dependence on God. It is all Him.

By the way, there will be some questions as to the role of humility in "meekness" if humility before God is in mind here. I don't want to clutter and complicate the thought right now, but we'll address the difference in the meanings soon.

Thank you for your post.:)

Blessed takes on a new context/light in this frame. For God so loves the world (mankind).

It also makes me feel that "blessed" means God's Grace is offered to all mankind, and JustPassing, was oh so right to correct me, because inherit/heirs are not included in this verse. The spiritually poor are offered grace.

I always assumed that Matt 5:4 "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." was about human beings who have lost loved ones to physical death, being reunited later in heaven. But is it's true meaning that those who mourn their separation from God due to sin/original sin will be given an opportunity to return to God?

Blessed = "Happy".

TYFYP (thank you for your post :)) It made me think. There is a part of me that wanted to, instinctively, click agree. But, "happy are the spiritually poor"? (Ignorance is bliss?). Whatever, the future tense of happy is, I'm sure, it's a modest adjective included. How often have we heard that someone is "blessed with beauty" with native intelligence, etc. Something that is "not earned". Worse yet, someone can be flooded with seeming "blessings" and still be unhappy. Blessed is the human race, because He gave us a way back to happiness/back to God? Again, we didn't really earn it, no matter the trying. I'm thinking "blessed" here, equals Grace.

Any other thoughts on those who mourn or the poor - spiritual or otherwise - or the other meanings of the verses so far?

Any other thoughts on those who mourn or the poor - spiritual or otherwise - or the other meanings of the verses so far?

I jumped into the thread at the beginning and then vanished! And now I am back :) In all these verses, first the important point to explain would be.. What blessing is? I look at blessing from this perspective.. Let's take one example.. God has blessed me with a wonderful job which pays me enough to live a very comfortable life.. And let's say I get a better job.. With increased pay.. We certainly call it a blessing.. And let us assume another person who is jobless for many years.. He has hit the bottom of poverty.. Now out of blue, he gets a job which would provide for the basic needs like food and shelter.. I am more comfortable than him.. But who is really blessed here? Or who has greater blessings?

I look at the beatitudes the same way.. Blessed are those who mourn.. For they shall be comforted.. I hope everyone can agree that Lord will comfort everyone even without mourning.. The blessings are greater when the Lord shows his grace on us when we are in a situation where we can do absolutely nothing..

The Lord is speaking to the multitudes.. True followers of Christ would face persecution, loss of family members, subjected to punishment from Roman emperor.. Who would be these? The Church.. This is sort of opposite of Israel when they entered Canaan to occupy the land.. The Lord promised them that He will bless those who bless them and curse those who curse them.. We see all over OT about the blessings.. Material blessings, promises of nations arising, kings arising, etc.. The blessings for Church come in a different form..

I don't know if I am making any sense or taking this too much afar! Comments welcome :)

I jumped into the thread at the beginning and then vanished! And now I am back :) In all these verses, first the important point to explain would be.. What blessing is? I look at blessing from this perspective.. Let's take one example.. God has blessed me with a wonderful job which pays me enough to live a very comfortable life.. And let's say I get a better job.. With increased pay.. We certainly call it a blessing.. And let us assume another person who is jobless for many years.. He has hit the bottom of poverty.. Now out of blue, he gets a job which would provide for the basic needs like food and shelter.. I am more comfortable than him.. But who is really blessed here? Or who has greater blessings?

I look at the beatitudes the same way.. Blessed are those who mourn.. For they shall be comforted.. I hope everyone can agree that Lord will comfort everyone even without mourning.. The blessings are greater when the Lord shows his grace on us when we are in a situation where we can do absolutely nothing..

The Lord is speaking to the multitudes.. True followers of Christ would face persecution, loss of family members, subjected to punishment from Roman emperor.. Who would be these? The Church.. This is sort of opposite of Israel when they entered Canaan to occupy the land.. The Lord promised them that He will bless those who bless them and curse those who curse them.. We see all over OT about the blessings.. Material blessings, promises of nations arising, kings arising, etc.. The blessings for Church come in a different form..

I don't know if I am making any sense or taking this too much afar! Comments welcome :)

Welcome back, Ravindran (waving). I agree blessed (blessing) is important to understand, especially in context to the beatitudes. From the OT to today, I think there is a tendency to look where the "grass seems greener" or at what we see as other people's blessings (how pretty/handsome/how rich) as an indicator of God's favor to them (they must be doing something right?) and I don't think this is true. I think our journey on earth is about lessons and we are each given "curses" (obstacles) and blessings so that we may learn. It is tempting, to look over the fence and covet our neighbors seeming blessings but we don't know the wife's cheating, or hubby's gambling, or son's despair.
The blessed, so far, are, IMO, meaning everyone. Before Christ, we are all spiritually poor and again, everyone "mourns" sometime over somone, something. And the blessings are grace.
You made me think, in the last part of your post, about God blessing Israel and cursing those (rebounding) those who cursed Israel. In a broader sense, when some stopped following the law/God, all of Israel suffered. Don't know where I am goin with that. Needs more think:).
TFYP

I wonder (typo tantrum), what people think and I would like to hear. Does everyone know this scripture too well?

Well, before we leave those who mourn, I do have comfort that I will see loved ones who are gone again. It's been said, many times before, but we never appreciate, as much as we should those who die because we take for granted that they will be there tommorrow and then they're not. God makes that reuniting possible. (Mom, I miss you still.)

Well, before we leave those who mourn, I do have comfort that I will see loved ones who are gone again. It's been said, many times before, but we never appreciate, as much as we should those who die because we take for granted that they will be there tommorrow and then they're not. God makes that reuniting possible. (Mom, I miss you still.)

Yes I expect to see all my loved ones who have passed on.

1 Corth. 13:12
"For now wee see through a glass darkly, but then face to face, now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known".

Well, the next verse Mat 5:5 is "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. Did we cover that? If not speak up (grin). I'm going with humble.

Mat 5:6 is "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. What is righteousness?

Mat 5:6 "...those who hunger and thirst after righteousness" ... In the OT that would mean those who strove to follow the Law? God's Will? Is there a difference between OT and NT? I'm asking seriously - what does righteousness mean and what does it mean to be filled?

Mat 5:6 "...those who hunger and thirst after righteousness" ... In the OT that would mean those who strove to follow the Law? God's Will? Is there a difference between OT and NT? I'm asking seriously - what does righteousness mean and what does it mean to be filled?

What is righteousness today?

Ravindran says: Today I was listening to Chuck Swindoll on radio on the way to office.. He was preaching on the beatitudes.. He had some nice interpretation on things..

Blessed are those who mourn - He was not talking about losing closed ones or that kind of mourning. He was talking about how a person should lament over the sinful nature of himself. Just like how Paul says "What a wretched man I am". Blessed are the ones who realize that.

Blessed are the meek - The explanation he gave is, being in control inspite of the strength. The specific example he quoted is a trained horse.. It could run wild, but gets trained and remains gentle with its move. It has not lost its ability or the strength. But learns to control itself.

Thought worth mentioning in this thread ;)

Well, I always thought, before, that the mourn verse was about losing loved ones. I see it now as mourning no more the separation of us and God - Christ is that comfort.

I like the definition of meek as controlled strength and ability, a fine honing of a servant of God. Not sure if it fits exactly.

Excellent question! Would love to see the opinion of the experts.. Myself and my friend used to discuss this a lot.. We always get worried about our work culture.. Both of us are in Project Lead/Manager positions.. How do we use our authority at work? Are we supposed to be meek? We all know what would happen at work when we are meek.. But is that what is expected as a Christian irrespective of how the world would treat you? May be meek here would mean to restrain from showing authority when not really needed?

I am not sure that meek means we need not to manage but maybe to manage with dignity and grace, treat those whom we are managing with the same respect that we expect to get from them.

I am not sure that meek means we need not to manage but maybe to manage with dignity and grace, treat those whom we are managing with the same respect that we expect to get from them.

I like the phrase "dignity and grace" and agree that we should treat everyone with that no matter the position. After thinking on it awhile, I have come to the conclusion "meek" means relying on God more and ourselves less.
Welcome Rleta :)

Back