Sermon On The Mount

I've done a study on the Sermon on the Mount, which is available at
http://bcbsr.com/survey/sgosp6.html

Regarding Meekness,
Mt 5:5
Blessed are the gentle, For they shall inherit the earth.
The "meek" are the humble.

"Meekness toward God is that disposition of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting. In the OT, the meek are those wholly relying on God rather than their own strength to defend them against injustice. Thus, meekness toward evil people means knowing God is permitting the injuries they inflict, that He is using them to purify His elect, and that He will deliver His elect in His time. (Is. 41:17, Lu. 18:1-8) Gentleness or meekness is the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. The gentle person is not occupied with self at all. This is a work of the Holy Spirit, not of the human will. (Gal. 5:23)"Online Bible Lexicon

Interestingly also is that the same Greek word used here for "meek" (praus) is also used for "gentle" in Peter's instruction to Christian women.
1Peter 3:3,4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle (praus) and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.​

Wow! I've only gotten thru 1/2 your link (I will finish after) but I am mightily impressed. I agree with most I have read, although not all, and it is very like I envision here - going thru verse by verse, with references to old and new testaments. It may be that my exercise here is beyond you, but as much as I loved your link, I long to hear the voices of many others because I still feel there are things to learn here that I don't yet totally understand. As I have said earlier, too often have I heard sculpted scripture, from opposing points of view, using it as proof that what they say is correct. Maybe I am seeking consensus ( a fool's errand?) Maybe I want to feel the truth.
PS. Do you have a link on Revelation? Just wondering :).

No problem Silk, my time on the internet is limited because I'm very busy with work so I didn't see this until today.

May I suggest the Revelation is one of the easiest books to understand if we follow the Divine outline given to us by Jesus in Re 1:19 and there are hundreds of references to verses in the Old and New Testament we can use to help us understand the imagery in the the book in the way Jesus outlined it for us, we must also remember this book was written during a time of great persecution of the Church so the Holy Spirit inspired John to write it in a code that only born again believers would understand by using images and references from what was already written. 1 Cor 2:14

Here's an example of how we can understand what John saw concerning the scroll/book Rev 5:1 , it is a story of redemption found in Jer 32:6-44, the scroll is the title deed to the earth, the six seals are man's failure to live up to God's standard of righteousness spoken of, suggested by the serpent in the garden Gen 3:5 during the six dispensations, we are living in the sixth dispensation, the dispensation of grace Eph 3:2, the seventh dispensation is the seven years referred to in the Old Testament as the time of Jacob's troubles Jer 30:7 a completion of the last seven years of the seventy week prophecy Dan 9:24-27, we call it the Tribulation and it's during this seventh dispensation we see the Lamb John 1:29, 36 take the Scroll from the hand of the Father to redeem back the earth from the authority of satan Matt 4:8, 9 which he was given by Adam's failure to subdue the earth in Gen 1:28 and place it back under the authority of the Last Man.

The people who heard that sermon, not even the Disciples, fully understood who they were listening to, but they felt it, nonetheless.

Concerning the subject of the Sermon on the Mount, could it be like I suggested, it was for the future, one way being it is the constitution of the Millennium, the laws that we the redeemed will use to judge the people during this time Luke 19:17,
1 Cor 6:2, and the second way, the disciples were confused because they were not born again until after the resurrection of Jesus so it seemed impossible to keep or follow for unregenerated man, but isn't everything written in the Sermon on the Mount the character of man when he becomes born again 2 Cor 5:17, what I'm I'm suggesting is the Sermon on the Mount is our new nature in Christ, if we think about it, isn't it, the Sermon, exactly what it means to be conformed into the image of Christ?

Blessings,

Gene

No problem Silk, my time on the internet is limited because I'm very busy with work so I didn't see this until today.

May I suggest the Revelation is one of the easiest books to understand if we follow the Divine outline given to us by Jesus in Re 1:19 and there are hundreds of references to verses in the Old and New Testament we can use to help us understand the imagery in the the book in the way Jesus outlined it for us, we must also remember this book was written during a time of great persecution of the Church so the Holy Spirit inspired John to write it in a code that only born again believers would understand by using images and references from what was already written. 1 Cor 2:14

Here's an example of how we can understand what John saw concerning the scroll/book Rev 5:1 , it is a story of redemption found in Jer 32:6-44, the scroll is the title deed to the earth, the six seals are man's failure to live up to God's standard of righteousness spoken of, suggested by the serpent in the garden Gen 3:5 during the six dispensations, we are living in the sixth dispensation, the dispensation of grace Eph 3:2, the seventh dispensation is the seven years referred to in the Old Testament as the time of Jacob's troubles Jer 30:7 a completion of the last seven years of the seventy week prophecy Dan 9:24-27, we call it the Tribulation and it's during this seventh dispensation we see the Lamb John 1:29, 36 take the Scroll from the hand of the Father to redeem back the earth from the authority of satan Matt 4:8, 9 which he was given by Adam's failure to subdue the earth in Gen 1:28 and place it back under the authority of the Last Man.

Concerning the subject of the Sermon on the Mount, could it be like I suggested, it was for the future, one way being it is the constitution of the Millennium, the laws that we the redeemed will use to judge the people during this time Luke 19:17,
1 Cor 6:2, and the second way, the disciples were confused because they were not born again until after the resurrection of Jesus so it seemed impossible to keep or follow for unregenerated man, but isn't everything written in the Sermon on the Mount the character of man when he becomes born again 2 Cor 5:17, what I'm I'm suggesting is the Sermon on the Mount is our new nature in Christ, if we think about it, isn't it, the Sermon, exactly what it means to be conformed into the image of Christ?

Blessings,

Gene

Very nice to see you back Gene. I have missed you my bro!

OK - so we have many people wanting to hear what Christ had to say. He chose a mountain. I wonder if this was for accoustical reasons - they didn't have microphones then. In Matt 5:3, he says "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they shall inherit the Kingdom of God." There's that spiritually poor again. But until Christ resurrection, all, were in essence "poor of spirit." Is that what this means?

You got it Silk, my pastor and many others have gone to the location where Jesus gave His message and they all said the acoustics were so perfect they didn't have to raise their voice to be heard, .....but then, Jesus knew that since He created the mountain, ...no?

When looking in Strong's concordance we find poor also translated to mean beggar (ly), so the obvious question is who would have a poor, beggar (ly) spirit? What we read in Scripture is the descendents of Adam have rebellious, prideful and haughty spirits so it can't be them, then it must mean those that the Holy Spirit has quickened to see their sinful and deprived state.

I have many different versions and translations on my computer, none of them have, they shall inherit, all of mine say, theirs is, that's a big difference, one is futuristic and the other is present, a done deal, you and me, we have the Kingdom of Heaven living inside of us in the Person of the Holy Spirit, right now, today, ...we don't have to wait for it.

Blessings,

Gene

You got it Silk, my pastor and many others have gone to the location where Jesus gave His message and they all said the acoustics were so perfect they didn't have to raise their voice to be heard, .....but then, Jesus knew that since He created the mountain, ...no?

When looking in Strong's concordance we find poor also translated to mean beggar (ly), so the obvious question is who would have a poor, beggar (ly) spirit? What we read in Scripture is the descendents of Adam have rebellious, prideful and haughty spirits so it can't be them, then it must mean those that the Holy Spirit has quickened to see their sinful and deprived state.

I have many different versions and translations on my computer, none of them have, they shall inherit, all of mine say, theirs is, that's a big difference, one is futuristic and the other is present, a done deal, you and me, we have the Kingdom of Heaven living inside of us in the Person of the Holy Spirit, right now, today, ...we don't have to wait for it.
Blessings,
Gene

Ooops - I went from memory (Silk gives herself a thwak). You are entirely right. But I did give the marker for the online bible. (regarding theirs is). While I get your point about the Holy Spirit, I'm not sure I agree about the Holy Spirit quickening to see. I shall have to think more on it. Original sin is already set down as a concept prior to the resurrection.
Thanks for the correction and your post.

PS. It must have been great to tread that same ground

My pastor said, and my friends that went (I didn't go, wish I could of been there), that when he gave Bible Studies on the same verses that Jesus taught on in the same place He had taught, it - was - awesome, like the Holy Spirit was present in such magnitude that you could feel His presence, causing His Word to come alive!

Paul teaches in Eph 2:3 that we were dead in our sins and trespasses, the word dead is necros and it means a corpse, a corpse can't see, hear, or think, so if the Holy Spirit doesn't come along side of us and start to wake us up out of our death sleep we would never be able to see our sinful state. There is a wonderful illustration of this principle found in Gen 1:2-4,

And the earth was without form and empty. And darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light. And there was light. And God saw the light that it was good. And God divided between the light and the darkness.

The earth without form and void is a type of our spiritual condition when we were dead in our sins and transgressions (a corpse can't see), the Spirit moved on the waters, water is a type, and illustration for the Word, God (the Father) said, "let their be light!" (oh how this illuminates/illustrates John 6:44) the Holy Spirit started to illuminate a verse that had been planted in our soul Isa 55:10, 11, but had layed dormant for some time, we saw the verse and in that act of seeing the Word of God, God saw that the illumination of the verse had a favorable effect so He separated that from all of the darkness that was in us, ...there is more to it than just seeing, Jesus taught we need to hear and understand also, but that comes after we are awake.

That is what I'm talking about when I said the Holy Spirit quickens (or awakes us) us.

Blessings,

Gene

OK - so we have many people wanting to hear what Christ had to say. He chose a mountain. I wonder if this was for accoustical reasons - they didn't have microphones then. In Matt 5:3, he says "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they shall inherit the Kingdom of God." There's that spiritually poor again. But until Christ resurrection, all, were in essence "poor of spirit." Is that what this means?

Yes mamn!

Yes! We are all poor in spirit without God. That's how I took it... Or maybe it is similar to the spiritual milk thing--- we are babies ?? Idk.. I'm not helping am I hahahaaaa

We had a bible study at my house last year called Tea Party for Jesus! We studied the sermon in the mount it was awesome. And it wasn't a political thing; there was actual tea;-) although a tea party patriot bible study would be cool too ;-)

I love the line the meek shall inherit the earth...I love a gentle spirit, children love gentle spirits ... God instructs us to be this way in our lives. So it makes perfect sense to me.

Sidenote-- I'm so not meek lol I'm working on it though!!

Someone said it on another thread, that we should be like children (innocent?) where evil is concerned, but adult (mature) in our growing understanding of God. I probably garbled it but that's what I pulled from it. Newborn, new eyes, strengthened faith. But literally Matthew 5:3 seems an odd statement. I am not unaware of what has been already said here. But the poor in spirit, their's is the Kingdom, taken alone doesn't make a lot of sense. I confess, in the past, I forgot the spiritual and "heard" the poor (not the wealthy) get the Kingdom.

We had a bible study at my house last year called Tea Party for Jesus! We studied the sermon in the mount it was awesome. And it wasn't a political thing; there was actual tea;-) although a tea party patriot bible study would be cool too ;-)

I love the line the meek shall inherit the earth...I love a gentle spirit, children love gentle spirits ... God instructs us to be this way in our lives. So it makes perfect sense to me.

Sidenote-- I'm so not meek lol I'm working on it though!!

Some said........"Walk softly but carry a big stick".

I think it was Abraham or made Isaac???? Wait, maybe it was TR.

"Speak softly, but carry a big stick." from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt

Founder of the "big stick" model of diplomacy, otherwise known as "gunboat diplomacy".
Foreign diplomats are often much more cooperative when there is a battleship sitting in their harbor.

"Speak softly, but carry a big stick." from a speech by Teddy Roosevelt

Founder of the "big stick" model of diplomacy, otherwise known as "gunboat diplomacy".
Foreign diplomats are often much more cooperative when there is a battleship sitting in their harbor.

Rofl - Fear of the consequences, from poor choices, has thru the millenia, often been used as a motivator. It doesn't work well when the stick is in bad hands. Or the other side seems to have a bigger stick.

Yes mamn!

And then I grew up. (well maybe :)). But with the wealth in the world, now concentrated in less than 1% of the world's population, maybe it should give us hope that more will find salvation. In the halycon days of my baby boomer youth, I lived in a little cape, with middle class parents, who loved me unconditionally, told me I could do anything if I put my mind to it, and when I did mischief, tried to make me understand the error of my ways and consequences. So, in the days when you clothespinned baseball cards to the wheels of our bikes, everyone seemed comfortable to me. I think I was age 10, when there was a girl in my class, who wore dirty, ripped clothes and often didn't have any lunch, that I met poor. She loved Barbie (she only had one) and just before she brought it to class for show and tell, her father ripped the leg off. The other children laughed. I'd like to say I befriended her but I didn't. I simply didn't understand. I think it's harder to be poor than rich, in more ways than we understand. I know of poor people who pay more for flea bag apartments than most people's mortgages. It is more expensive to be poor than the comfortable. They go to food stores or convenience stores to pay $2 for a can of tuna fish, when the comfortable drive to the super stores to pay $1. I wonder now, at what age children learn poor.

And then I grew up. (well maybe :)). But with the wealth in the world, now concentrated in less than 1% of the world's population, maybe it should give us hope that more will find salvation. In the halycon days of my baby boomer youth, I lived in a little cape, with middle class parents, who loved me unconditionally, told me I could do anything if I put my mind to it, and when I did mischief, tried to make me understand the error of my ways and consequences. So, in the days when you clothespinned baseball cards to the wheels of our bikes, everyone seemed comfortable to me. I think I was age 10, when there was a girl in my class, who wore dirty, ripped clothes and often didn't have any lunch, that I met poor. She loved Barbie (she only had one) and just before she brought it to class for show and tell, her father ripped the leg off. The other children laughed. I'd like to say I befriended her but I didn't. I simply didn't understand. I think it's harder to be poor than rich, in more ways than we understand. I know of poor people who pay more for flea bag apartments than most people's mortgages. It is more expensive to be poor than the comfortable. They go to food stores or convenience stores to pay $2 for a can of tuna fish, when the comfortable drive to the super stores to pay $1. I wonder now, at what age children learn poor.

Personally, I grew up thinking that a mustard sandwich was normal.

Personally, I grew up thinking that a mustard sandwich was normal.

I was comfortable most of my life, which makes me wonder if it is better to know poor as a child or an adult. My best guess is it is always bad, if not a strong learning experience. Do you still remember what poor is like?

From the time I was a child, I could not stand/could not eat cooked vegetables (except corn on the cob and not canned corn). In frustration, my mother made it a "rule" that no one could have "seconds" of meat until they finished everything on their plate. And I heard nightly, at dinner time, that people were starving in India/China. Finally, exasperated, I asked if my mother couldn't send them my portion of peas. Which didn't so much please my mother. She said, if we had to spend all night, I was not leaving the table until I ate my peas. So, after I sat past my bedtime, she let me go to bed. She always said I got my stubborn from my swede father. After that, I left the bottom of my milk to "surreptitiously"slip my veggies in. I also swiped them to the floor and put them in my pockets to later toss. Even my brothers didn't try to use leverage or rat me out because no one wanted a repeat. My parents knew too. I have had a bad diet all my life. I have often said that I would become a vegetarian, except I would starve to death(and have you seen the price of fruit lately? It's on a par per pound with steak!). I could probably handle mustard sandwhiches better but as much as I love lotsa yellow mustard slopped heavily on my hot dog, it would probably be my next to last order, without the hot dog.

But I thought I understood poor even tho I had always been comfortable. In 2001, I became poor and realized I hadn't really had a clue.

TMI? Well, I made it back over the poverty line, with my faith intact and my cat (the Humane Society states in a commercial, that when you lose your job, the first thing to go is the family pet) and I found I was spiritually wiser (richer?). So...was Christ referring to His then audience, before the resurrection, as blessed because, only in that time in history, that the chance was soon coming, to become spiritually rich?

Back