Shame

Hebrews 12:2 says, "looking only at Jesus, the originator and perfecter of the faith,
who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat
down at the right hand of the throne of God."

The word "despising" here is
G2706, kataphroneō, meaning to think against or disesteem.
What does it mean to think against?
If I receive advice from someone, for example, and am shrugging them off in my mind as
they speak then I am thinking against them.

As a result, the verse indicates not that Jesus was feeling woe from the shame but that
He completely disregarded it. He disregarded the shame. As such, with the power of shame
disarmed we, likewise, should not be ashamed when the enemy seeks to convict us of
our forgiven sins of the past.

Colossians 3:13-15
13 And when you were dead in your wrongdoings and the uncircumcision of your flesh,
He made you alive together with Him, having
forgiven us all our wrongdoings,
14 having canceled the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which
was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them,
having triumphed over them through Him.

We literally have NOTHING to be ashamed of any longer! Disregard the shame.

Last edited:
Same word here and perhaps the same sense...

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
(Mat 6:24) KJV

“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick by one and look down on the other. You cannot serve God and money.”
(Mat 6:24) TLV

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick by one and look down on the other. You cannot serve God and money.”
Indeed, wouldn't look down on be to render something inferior
and thereby disregard it?

Yes as new born again creatures we can serve all things written in the law and prophets (sola scriptura) as our teacher master and not necromancy workers with familiar spirits or called patron saints . . seeking after the dead for those living.

Luke 16: 13-31 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him. And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between "us and you" there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; (sola scriptura) let them hear them And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

We walk by faith (Christ's in us) the eternal not seen not after the temporal seen

Yes as new born again creatures we can serve all things written in the law and prophets (sola scriptura) as our teacher master and not necromancy workers with familiar spirits or called patron saints . . seeking after the dead for those living.

Luke 16: 13-31 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him. And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between "us and you" there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; (sola scriptura) let them hear them And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

We walk by faith (Christ's in us) the eternal not seen not after the temporal seen
Thanks for the wider context, but I'm not sure how it fits into the topic of the OP.

Thanks for the wider context, but I'm not sure how it fits into the topic of the OP.

I agree crossnote. Note I wonder, when considering the focus of this thread if you would agree that in most cases when we have some difficulty in life and we speak about it, what we say usually lies on the surface. But dig a little deeper into what we are talking about, and we will see the real reason, And then marvel at the fact that what actually preoccupies us has no relation at all to what was said.

Indeed, wouldn't look down on be to render something inferior
and thereby disregard it?
Yes the very thing that brings shame. Seeking the opposing teaching master.Making the written word our teaching master inferior .

Two teaching masters . (1) All things written in Moses and the prophets(sola scriptura0 (2) The oral tradition as a law of the father necromancy comuniing with the dead for those living. Twice in that parable found in Kuke 16 . .shame as the false gospel is made to no effect by the word of God (moses and the prohets) And yet they refused to hear Moses and the prophets (sola scriptura) the witness of God choosing the witness of men no faith.

Below. . The parable of two masters.(1) That of God not seen and (2) that of mankind seen.

Luke 16:13-15 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Luke 16: 22-27 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Its clear they were looking for workers with familar spirit as disembodied spirits . They could come no where except to cause deception

Refusing to hear and walk by faith he again seeks after necromancy the pagan faithless foundation

Luke 16: 27-31 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; (sola scriptura) let them hear them.And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

In the end Jesus did rise and they believed not. In that way it a shame when we walk by sight seking that kind of authroty that lord it over the non -venerable pew sitters . Hearing the gospel being empower to believe makes shame desolate. .

Back