SHARE A RECIPE

godbe4me

Unavailable
Staff Member on LOA
Hey family,

Share one of your holiday classic recipes that everyone always ask for when they know you are cooking. There is something that you make and everyone in the family loves it. For those of us who might want to make something different but just can't think of what to make for their holiday table. Maybe a CFS family member can share a recipe.

I am going to share my Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake recipe that is asked for every year along with other desserts but this cake is moist and delicious. I got this recipe from (Cooking w/ Carolyn) and love it. I have tweaked it a little to add more lemon as my husband loves lemon. But the recipe below is the original recipe. My tweaks are excluded.

Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Note: You will need a 12-Cup Capacity Fluted Bundt Pan

For the Cake:

• 3 to 4 Fresh Whole Lemons
  • Zest of 2 Lemons ( ½ for the cake/ ½ for the glaze)
  • ¼ Cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
  • 3 Sticks (1½ Cups) plus 2 Tablespoons for the bundt pan, Unsalted Butter, room temperature
  • 1-8 Ounces package Cream Cheese, room temperature
  • 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 6 Eggs, room temperature
  • 3 Cups Cake Flour plus 2 to 3 Tablespoons for the bundt pan Or use Pam w/ Flour for bundt pan
  • ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • ½ Teaspoon Salt
For the Lemon Glaze:

• 1½ Cups Powdered Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • 2 Tablespoons Milk
Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Zest 2 of the lemons and use half for the cake batter and the other half for the glaze. Set aside. Squeeze enough juice from all of the lemons for ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon for the glaze and set aside. Sift the cake flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, using a hand mixer mix the cream cheese and butter together until creamy and well combined, about a minute or so. Add the sugar and continue to mix until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape your bowl down with a spatula.

Add the eggs one at a time while mixing. Mix in the lemon juice. Next, mix in the flour mixture 1 cup at a time and remember to stop once or twice and scrape the bowl down so that all of the batter is well blended. Finally, fold in the zest of 1 lemon using a spatula.

Butter and flour the inside of the entire cake pan including the tube. Tap out the excess flour. Pour the batter into the cake pan and then give the pan a little shake to settle the batter. If desired, you can place the cake pan on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.

Once done, allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes and then invert it onto a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely.

Making the Lemon Glaze

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cake.

Chocolate Eclair Cake.....

1 sm. Box graham crackers
2 small. Box French Vanilla pudding
2 8-12 Oz tub cool whip
3 cups of milk
1 container of chocolate fudge frosting
1 9x13 pan

Whisk pudding and milk together. Fold in the cool whip. Layer graham crackers on the bottom of the 9x13 pan, pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top of the crackers. Repeat to form another layer and then top with one last layer of graham crackers.
Open frosting, stir it and spread on top layer of graham crackers. Can place in microwave for a few seconds to make it easier to spread.
Cover pan and put in refrigerator for at least 24 hrs (graham crackers need time to soften). Cut and serve and enjoy.

Can split recipe in half...will make a rectangular shoebox sized container and can be cut into about 8 pieces. If one doubles recipe it will make a half sheet cake sized pan full

Blessings

Chocolate Eclair Cake.....

1 sm. Box graham crackers
2 small. Box French Vanilla pudding
2 8-12 Oz tub cool whip
3 cups of milk
1 container of chocolate fudge frosting
1 9x13 pan

Whisk pudding and milk together. Fold in the cool whip. Layer graham crackers on the bottom of the 9x13 pan, pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top of the crackers. Repeat to form another layer and then top with one last layer of graham crackers.
Open frosting, stir it and spread on top layer of graham crackers. Can place in microwave for a few seconds to make it easier to spread.
Cover pan and put in refrigerator for at least 24 hrs (graham crackers need time to soften). Cut and serve and enjoy.

Can split recipe in half...will make a rectangular shoebox sized container and can be cut into about 8 pieces. If one doubles recipe it will make a half sheet cake sized pan full

Blessings

Ooohhhh, now that sounds delicious. Have to try this one!!!

Thanks for sharing

Yes, I love a new salad. I eat some sort of salad 5 days a week with my food. I would love to have a new salad recipe.

Cranberry salad

4 oranges quartered and peeled
(2) 12 Oz bags of cranberries
2 1/2 cups raw sugar or can use regular sugar
1 LG box raspberry jello
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Prepare jello as directed leaving out 1/2 cups of water, put in refrigerator to begin to set. When Almost set, take out of fridge and begin to grind other ingredients up.

Peel and quarter oranges, and rinse cranberries. Then grind up with hand grinder or food processor. I usually do not grind up any peel because sometimes the peel can be overwhelming. But if one likes the peel I recommend only grinding up about half of an orange peel.

After cranberries and oranges are ground add chopped walnuts and sugar (original recipe said 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups of sugar, but was to much for us so we took it down to 2 1/2 per batch). Mix well. Then add the jello. Then place in refrigerator and allow to completely set. Serve cold. Can freeze some if desired. Also can be cut in half to make a smaller batch....just use small box of jello

Broccoli casserole

2 LG jars cheese wiz
Sm box instant rice
Fresh Broccoli
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans cream of chicken
1 LG onion cut up
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350°

In LG roasting pan place cut up broccoli. Sprinkle about 1/2 to 3/4 of the box of instant rice.

In LG separate pan melt butter and start cooking onions (can be left out if people don't like them). Add cheese wiz and soup and milk (if mixture is not soupy enough can add more milk) Mix together till all blended well and bubbling. Pour over rice and broccoli and cook (covered) in oven till rice and broccoli are soft. About 1 to 1 1/2 hrs

Broccoli casserole

2 LG jars cheese wiz
Sm box instant rice
Fresh Broccoli
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans cream of chicken
1 LG onion cut up
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350°

In LG roasting pan place cut up broccoli. Sprinkle about 1/2 to 3/4 of the box of instant rice.

In LG separate pan melt butter and start cooking onions (can be left out if people don't like them). Add cheese wiz and soup and milk (if mixture is not soupy enough can add more milk) Mix together till all blended well and bubbling. Pour over rice and broccoli and cook (covered) in oven till rice and broccoli are soft. About 1 to 1 1/2 hrs

This sounds pretty good and I like broccoli with cheese too.....

I believe Ina's recipe is a little better. I have made the shortbread cookies before using powdered sugar and it's just not as sweet. I have been trying to find a good shortbread cookie for a while now. But I noticed Ina used granulated sugar. So, I am going to try that one. I will let you all know how it comes out. My husband loves shortbread cookies but wondered why the store shortbread cookies are sweeter than mine. Now I know, its the sugar. Thanks Cturtle appreciate it....

LoriT's
HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

Ingredients
2 pounds frozen hash browns, thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 can (10.75 ounces) cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 11 x 14 inch casserole or baking dish with cooking spray.
  • In large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir together. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes until top is golden brown.

Deep dish carmel apple pie

Ingredients

• 1½ cups all purpose flour

• 2 tablespoons sugar

• ¼ teaspoon salt

• ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces, frozen

• 4 tablespoons (about) ice water

• for streusel

• ¾ cup all purpose flour

• 6 tablespoons sugar

• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

• ¼ teaspoon salt

• 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

• for filling

• 3 pounds Golden Delicious apples (about 8), peeled, cored, cut into ¾-inch-thick wedges

• ¼ cup all purpose flour

• 1¼ cups sugar

• ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons water

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions
Make crust: Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in processor. Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Blend in enough ice water by tablespoonfuls to form large moist clumps. Transfer dough to work surface. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic. Chill dough 30 minutes.

Make streusel: Mix flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl to blend. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture forms pea-size clumps. (Dough and streusel can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate streusel. Keep dough chilled. Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.)

Make filling: Combine apple wedges and 1/4 cup flour in large bowl and toss to coat. Let stand while preparing caramel. Stir sugar and 1/4 cup water in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until syrup turns deep amber color, brushing pan sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter and remaining 2 tablespoons water (mixture will bubble vigorously). Return to heat and stir until smooth. Pour caramel over apples; toss to coat. Let stand until apples release juices, tossing occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F. Roll out dough on floured work surface to 14-inch round. Transfer to 9 1/2-inch-diameter glass pie dish with 1 3/4-inch-high sides. Crimp edges decoratively. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust. Sprinkle streusel over pie. Bake pie until apples are tender and streusel is golden, covering crust edge with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool at least 1 hour. Serve pie warm or at room temperature.

Back