Share your insight on this verse, please

ElBob

Inactive
Share your insight on this verse, please

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them. (Ps 139:16)​

God see,s us before we are born,wrote in the book of life.plotted out our days before we were born......just my humble opinion lol.probably wrong.

Good answer Sc, here are 20+ translations followed byu Albert Barnes notes on the Bible for reference:

Psa 139:16
(ACV) Thine eyes saw my unformed substance, and in thy book they were all written, [even] the days that were ordained, when as yet there was none of them.

(ASV) Thine eyes did see mine unformed substance; And in thy book they were all written, Even the days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was none of them.

(BBE) Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book all my days were recorded, even those which were purposed before they had come into being.

(Bishops) Thyne eyes dyd see me when I was most imperfect: and in thy booke were written euery day of them [wherin the partes of my body] were shaped, and no one of them were knowen vnto thee.

(CEV) but with your own eyes you saw my body being formed. Even before I was born, you had written in your book everything I would do.

(Complete Apostles' Bible) Your eyes saw my unwrought substance, and all men shall be written in Your book; they shall be formed by day, though there should for a time be no one among them.

(Darby) Thine eyes did see my unformed substance, and in thy book all my members were written; during many days were they fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

(DRB) Thy eyes did see my imperfect being, and in thy book all shall be written: days shall be formed, and no one in them.

(ESV) Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

(Geneva) Thine eyes did see me, when I was without forme: for in thy booke were all things written, which in continuance were facioned, when there was none of them before.

(GNB) you saw me before I was born. The days allotted to me had all been recorded in your book, before any of them ever began.

(GW) Your eyes saw me when I was only a fetus. Every day of my life was recorded in your book before one of them had taken place.
(HNT)​

(HOT)​
גלמי ראו עיניך ועל־ספרך כלם יכתבו ימים יצרו ולא אחד בהם׃

(HOT+)​
גלמי1564 ראו7200 עיניך5869 ועל5921 ספרך5612 כלם3605 יכתבו3789 ימים3117 יצרו3335 ולא3808 אחד׃259

(JPS) Thine eyes did see mine unformed substance, and in Thy book they were all written - even the days that were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
(KJ2000) Your eyes did see my substance, being yet unformed; and in your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.
(KJV+TVM) Thine eyes5869 did see7200 [8804] my substance, yet being unperfect1564; and in thy book5612 all my members were written3789 [8735], which in continuance3117 were fashioned3335 [8795], when as yet there was none259 of them

(KJV+) Thine eyes5869 did see7200 my substance, yet being unperfect;1564 and in5921 thy book5612 all3605 my members were written,3789 which in continuance3117 were fashioned,3335 when as yet there was none3808, 259 of them.

(KJV-1611) Thine eyes did see my substance yet being vnperfect, and in thy booke all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned: when as yet there was none of them.

(KJVA) Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

(KJVR) Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

(LITV) Your eyes saw my embryo; and in Your book all my members were written the days they were formed, and not one was yet among them.

(MKJV) Your eyes saw my embryo; and in Your book all my members were written, the days they were formed, and not one was among them.

(Rev. Webster+) Thy eyes5869 saw7200 [8804] my substance, not yet formed1564; and in thy book5612 all my members were written3789 [8735], which in continuance3117 were fashioned3335 [8795], when as yet there was none259 of them.

(RV) Thine eyes did see mine unperfect substance, and in thy book were all my members written, which day by day were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

(The Scriptures '98+) Your eyes saw my unformed body. And in Your book all of them were written, The days they were formed, While none was among them.

(UPDV) Your eyes saw me developing from conception; And in your book they were all written, [Even] the days that were formed [for me] When as yet there was none of them.

(Vulgate) (138:16) inperfectum meum viderunt oculi tui et in libro tuo omnes scribentur die formabuntur et nemo in eis

(Webster) Thy eyes saw my substance, yet being imperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

(YLT) Mine unformed substance Thine eyes saw, And on Thy book all of them are written, The days they were formed--And not one among them.

Psa 139:16 -
Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect - This whole verse is very obscure, but the "idea" in this expression clearly is, "Before I had shape or form thou didst see what I was to be." The single word in the original translated "my substance, yet being unperfect," is
גלם gôlem. It occurs only in this place, though the verb - גלם gâlam - is found in 2Ki_2:8, where it is used in reference to the mantle of Elijah: And Elijah took his mantle, and "wrapped it together," etc. That is, he rolled it up, or he folded it. The noun, then, means that which "is" rolled or wrapped together; that which is folded up, and hence, is applicable to anything folded up or undeveloped; and would thus most aptly denote the embryo, or the foetus, where all the members of the body are as yet folded up, or undeveloped; that is, before they have assumed their distinct form and proportions. This is undoubtedly the idea here. Before the embryo had any such form that its future size, shape, or proportions could be marked by the eye of man, it was clearly and distinctly known by God.
And in thy book - Where thou recordest all things. Perhaps the allusion here would be to the book of an architect or draftsman, who, before his work is begun, draws his plan, or sketches it for the direction of the workmen.
All my members were written - The words "my members" are not in the original. The Hebrew is, as in the margin, "all of them." The reference may be, not to the members of his body, but to his "days" (see the margin on the succeeding phrase) - and then the sense would be, all my "days," or all the periods of my life, were delineated in thy book. That is, When my substance - my form - was not yet developed, when yet an embryo, and when nothing could be determined from that by the eye of man as to what I was to be, all the future was known to God, and was written down - just what should be my form and vigor; how long I should live; what I should be; what would be the events of my life.
Which in continuance were fashioned - Margin, "What days they should be fashioned." Literally, "Days should be formed." DeWette renders this, "The days were determined before any one of them was." There is nothing in the Hebrew to correspond with the phrase "in continuance." The simple idea is, The days of my life were determined on, the whole matter was fixed and settled, not by anything seen in the embryo, but "before" there was any form - before there were any means of judging from what I then was to what I would be - all was seen and arranged in the divine mind.
When as yet there was none of them - literally, "And not one among them." Before there was one of them in actual existence. Not one development had yet occurred from which it could be inferred what the rest would be. The entire knowledge on the subject must have been based on Omniscience.

Many blessings my brothers- Larry

Thanks brother Larry, but I want YOUR thoughts on the verse. I read your profile, and brother, I think you have some serious wisdom to share with us! :smile_anim:

You are WAY TO KIND brother- but thank you anyway- I think that scripture ties in nicely with these:

Isa 44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;
God has formed all things and we are no accident or exception- perhaps He has made us just the way we are for such a time as this

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Rom 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Rom 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Those He foreknew He predestined- it would seem God knows all our choices before we make them and He is actively partcipating in the life of everyone and anyone who would have Him-He has been making plans for you and me since before there was a creation and is constantly working to bring us to the place of fully restored fellowship that we were created for- remember Jesus was the
"Lamb slain from the foundation of the world"- before there was a world you were the apple of God's eye and the Father, Son and Holy Ghost were already making provision for you!

That is what I wanted, brother. That was a blessing. I appreciate your insight. Thank you.

By the way, do you think that perhaps this verse may also mean that "our days are numbered," so to speak? Some of the newer translations seem to lean that way. Your thoughts?

God knows the beggining from the end so in that manner of speaking yes He knows the number of our days- a friend once told me " you are immortal till the Lord says so" and I guess after that it's promotion time or as a Pastor friend of mine calls death- ultimate healing !:D

You are WAY TO KIND brother- but thank you anyway- I think that scripture ties in nicely with these:

Isa 44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;
God has formed all things and we are no accident or exception- perhaps He has made us just the way we are for such a time as this

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Rom 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Rom 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Those He foreknew He predestined- it would seem God knows all our choices before we make them and He is actively partcipating in the life of everyone and anyone who would have Him-He has been making plans for you and me since before there was a creation and is constantly working to bring us to the place of fully restored fellowship that we were created for- remember Jesus was the
"Lamb slain from the foundation of the world"- before there was a world you were the apple of God's eye and the Father, Son and Holy Ghost were already making provision for you!

That is perfectly correct. Thanks

Back