Should Baptism be repeated?

I hope everyone is doing well. I would like to bring up a topic for discussion:

Some Baptist churches here follow a specific format or constitution. When children turn 12 years old, it is mandatory for them to be baptized (especially in my village area), even if they have not yet accepted Jesus as their personal Savior. Later in life, when they come to fully understand the saving knowledge of Christ as adults or youths, some choose to get baptized again, but most do not.

Some say that baptism should be done again, while others say it doesn’t matter. What is your biblical stand and personal life perspective?

Let's not affiliated with doctrinal matter but just a formal discussion, thanks.

Last edited:
Good early morning to you Mei Kor

I will start my post with the definition I found on baptism. This is what I was told. I was baptised in a real creek in September 2009.

Baptism is an outward expression of an inward decision. It's the physical expression of what has happened spiritually in your heart. It was a very private moment when you gave your heart to Jesus, just between God and you. Baptism is letting the world know of that decision to follow Him.

I really think this is a matter of preference. I'm not sure how many people experience "being made new" after being dunked in a body of water. That did not happen for me.... but I chose to get baptised because I wanted to correct the false claim of having been baptised as a baby. I do not believe that this is biblical at all and sadly... many churches are doing it.

I'm not sure if I could have accepted the "already baptised" argument because I truly did NOT have a choice as a baby.
I don't think it would count as what the Bible instructs us to do as believers.

Ideally... I wish I was just getting baptised NOW... because I actually FEEL like a new creation.... I feel like a CHANGED person who loves the Lord with all her heart.... but that is just EMOTION. HA.

I hope you get a good conversation going here. God Bless you Mei Kor

Some Baptist churches here follow a specific format or constitution. When children turn 12 years old, it is mandatory for them to be baptized (especially in my village area), even if they have not yet accepted Jesus as their personal Savior. Later in life, when they come to fully understand the saving knowledge of Christ as adults or youths, some choose to get baptized again, but most do not.

Some say that baptism should be done again, while others say it doesn’t matter. What is your biblical stand and personal life perspective?

Let's not affiliated with doctrinal matter but just a formal discussion, thanks.
Believer's baptism need only be performed once. If one has accepted Christ as savior, the baptism is efficacious, and baptisms should not be performed on non-believers. Some people are under the mistaken impression that baptism and church membership are sufficient for salvation. I think this idea comes from the highly formal liturgical churches such as the RCC.

Baptism should never be forced on anyone, you can not make someone love God by dipping them in water. Baptism is a personal choice of accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. It is a public display of one's decision to follow Jesus. Keep up the good work MEI KOR.
Dave how can it be forced we not even know at that age. It be a wise church policy so our populations and nations are founded on Christendom and represent that and not a pagan pretender waiting in the wings to take our bastion of power. The Baptist ones wait to the age 12. Ok that’s all good and well. That is of course if they reach the age of 12. Than there also be the situation they might not be considered religious enough to be accepted as a church member or to receive baptism, or maybe decide for themselves that they are not interested lowering once again our geo religious numbers as Christian nations . Dave we only follow the age old tradition of the great commission of baptising in the name of the Father the Son and of the Holy Ghost unto all nations

Last edited:
Prim,
In the original post, Mei Kor said that at the age of 12 it is MANDATORY for them to be baptized, even if they haven't accepted Jesus as their savior,this is forcing someone into doing something that they may not have chosen for themselves. If they had to wait until they are 12 and allowed to make the choice, then that is different. This is an act of puffing up church membership numbers and not actually saving souls. People need to be baptized because they are saved not because someone said they had to.

There is Church Policy and then there is Biblical.
I have only seen this asked a few times.

My Personal: I always thought it was like getting married. And well sometime people want to say their vows again.
In that case if it helps you reaffirm and give you strength in what you believe then its a choice.

Biblically: This could be a long answer so the short version is Being Baptized is public display of your dedication to Christ.
Not your acceptance of Christ as our Savior, I was 10 and have no need or desire to be baptized again.
I think God would rather see people follow Christ, then have a display of dedication and go right back to life of unacceptance.

My own personal Believe is that the Baptismal is not part of the acceptance of Christ as Savior. I know and realize some Denominations
may look at this different and its process,
But Biblically: In the New Testament, baptism is an important step in the Christian faith, but it is not the act of baptism itself that absolves a person of sin. Instead, it is faith in Jesus Christ His death and resurrection that brings about forgiveness of sin. Baptism is a symbolic act that represents the believer's identification with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection, and it is an outward expression of the inward change that has already occurred through faith and repentance.

So that is where I get my perspective from.

Prim,
In the original post, Mei Kor said that at the age of 12 it is MANDATORY for them to be baptized, even if they haven't accepted Jesus as their savior,this is forcing someone into doing something that they may not have chosen for themselves. If they had to wait until they are 12 and allowed to make the choice, then that is different. This is an act of puffing up church membership numbers and not actually saving souls. People need to be baptized because they are saved not because someone said they had to.
Dave yes Mei did write that but there also be varying positions on baptism within the many branches of Baptists it maybe mandatory in some but not all. Often there is study sessions and discussion beforehand on the merits of baptism before acceptance of baptism of a future Baptist but certainly not all as in Mei’s case

Thank you all for your positive responses.

I will now elaborate further to help you understand the context.

I was talking about our local churches in Chin State. We were not Christians until 1990. A missionary came to our area and shared about Christ. Our forefathers believed in animism, worshipping rocks, trees, water, mountains, and other objects, and they sacrificed animals. They even heard sounds made by evil spirits from the tops of mountains at night. Now, they no longer hear them, it is by the power of Jesus Christ. When Christianity came to us, the whole community thought it was a better belief than worshipping objects.

Imagine someone suffering from severe stomach pain, but instead of giving him a medicine or taking him to a hospital, they sacrifice an egg or an animal for him. That doesn’t make sense logically.

Now, to the point—after becoming Christians, churches were established, and services were conducted. Church functions and ordinances were observed. When the believers (children) reached the age of 11 or 12, they were asked to take baptism. (Note: age 11 to 12 is still considered childhood, which is why I mentioned it earlier as children, though I want to refer to them as believers here.)

Everyone in that age group was expected to participate. For example, a conversation might go like this:

Children are playing, and the pastor walks by...

Pastor: Hey Simon, Angel, and Matthew, how old are you now?

Simon: I’m going to be 11 next week.
Angel: I’ll be 12.
Matthew: I’m 13.

Pastor: Wow, Matthew is mature now at 13. Angel and Simon are also ready. Tell your friends your age and have everyone come to the river this Saturday at 9 AM to get ready for baptism.

Then, all the children of that age group would come to the river and be baptized. It was mandatory—everyone of that age had to be baptized, no exceptions.

It’s important to understand the context that it is a very remote place with no electricity, no hospitals, no network, no highways, and limited access to anything. If the pastor said to do something, they would do it without question. They lived simple lives and didn’t have much opportunity to make excuses or avoid it.

I understand that other doctrinal practices, and I don't want to focus on here. It would be a vast topic and a controversy.

The discussion here is, some says we should be baptized because it is the Lord command and biblical. The symbolism and the officially recognition of receiving new life.

Others argue that the two men who were crucified beside Jesus weren’t baptized, but they believed, and Jesus told them, "You will be with me in Paradise." They claim that baptism isn’t necessary in that case.

Another argument is that being born again should precede baptism, and the baptism done before being born again don’t count. Some believe baptism is not only a symbolic act of obedience but also brings spiritual and physical blessings for our lives. My question also is, can this be counted as a physical blessings? Do you think it is? Let's us claim with bible verses.

I just want to open up a discussion to share our thoughts, our biblical stance, and our faith.

Blessings to all.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your positive responses.

I will now elaborate further to help you understand the context.

I was talking about our local churches in Chin State. We were not Christians until 1990. A missionary came to our area and shared about Christ. Our forefathers believed in animism, worshipping rocks, trees, water, mountains, and other objects, and they sacrificed animals. They even heard sounds made by evil spirits from the tops of mountains at night. Now, they no longer hear them, it is by the power of Jesus Christ. When Christianity came to us, the whole community thought it was a better belief than worshipping objects.

Imagine someone suffering from severe stomach pain, but instead of giving him a medicine or taking him to a hospital, they sacrifice an egg or an animal for him. That doesn’t make sense logically.

Now, to the point—after becoming Christians, churches were established, and services were conducted. Church functions and ordinances were observed. When the believers (children) reached the age of 11 or 12, they were asked to take baptism. (Note: age 11 to 12 is still considered childhood, which is why I mentioned it earlier as children, though I want to refer to them as believers here.)

Everyone in that age group was expected to participate. For example, a conversation might go like this:

Children are playing, and the pastor walks by...

Pastor: Hey Simon, Angel, and Matthew, how old are you now?

Simon: I’m going to be 11 next week.
Angel: I’ll be 12.
Matthew: I’m 13.

Pastor: Wow, Matthew is mature now at 13. Angel and Simon are also ready. Tell your friends your age and have everyone come to the river this Saturday at 9 AM to get ready for baptism.

Then, all the children of that age group would come to the river and be baptized. It was mandatory—everyone of that age had to be baptized, no exceptions.

It’s important to understand the context that it is a very remote place with no electricity, no hospitals, no network, no highways, and limited access to anything. If the pastor said to do something, they would do it without question. They lived simple lives and didn’t have much opportunity to make excuses or avoid it.

I understand that other doctrinal practices, and I don't want to focus on here. It would be a vast topic and a controversy.

The discussion here is, some says we should be baptized because it is the Lord command and biblical. The symbolism and the officially recognition of receiving new life.

Others argue that the two men who were crucified beside Jesus weren’t baptized, but they believed, and Jesus told them, "You will be with me in Paradise." They claim that baptism isn’t necessary in that case.

Another argument is that being born again should precede baptism, and the baptism done before being born again don’t count. Some believe baptism is not only a symbolic act of obedience but also brings spiritual and physical blessings for our lives. My question also is, can this be counted as a physical blessings? Do you think it is? Let's us claim with bible verses.

I just want to open up a discussion to share our thoughts, our biblical stance, and our faith.

Blessings to all.

To simplify my answer. Biblically, to put this in an analogy.
Its like Buying a car and adding insurance to it. It has little to do with the actual buying of the car.
But it completes the ownership by having insurance you could be a more responsible driver.
Insurance is Baptismal, and the Car would be Accepting Jesus.

My experience is it a optional event that seems to make people feel more complete. That said. I have seen no evidence in all my years that
being Baptized tilts the scale. As we are all sinners, and forgiveness is by acceptance alone. Again, I think it more so tells the world you want Christ in it. But who knows if you really do. Its why I think Baptizing is great for spiritual well being as a optional event. Not a required event.
As it is not a condition for his Grace.

That last line is where my answer solidifies. IT IS NOT A CONDITION OF GRACE. I could be wrong, but I have never saw a connection that did state it was needed for anything under the cause of why I follow Christ.. The last church I was in, we would if requested to baptized . But the feeling was always, teach people to accept Christ, to follow Christ and that is by living life, not a moment of water and blessing. These are two hugely different things in my opinion.
One is Grace instilled, and one is a Blessing. And are not conditioned biblically on each other.

There are two baptisms mentioned in the bible, one of water the other of the Holy Spirit. The blessings from water baptism is the forgiveness of sins and life everlasting. When one is baptised by the Holy Spirit they receive the gifts from the Spirit. Salvation comes from accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. I should say that without first receiving salvation, water baptism is just a bath.

There are two baptisms mentioned in the bible, one of water the other of the Holy Spirit. The blessings from water baptism is the forgiveness of sins and life everlasting. When one is baptised by the Holy Spirit they receive the gifts from the Spirit. Salvation comes from accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. I should say that without first receiving salvation, water baptism is just a bath.
The water baptism being symbolic of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ just as Israel was baptised into when the sea parted during the exodus 1st Corinthians chapter 10:2. Dave there.be so many wonderful biblical types within the pages of thee bible thankfully it was only Pharaohs army that received the full bath treatment : )

Last edited:
The water baptism being symbolic of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ just as Israel was baptised into when the sea parted during the exodus 1st Corinthians chapter 10:2. Dave there.be so many wonderful biblical types within the pages of thee bible thankfully it was only Pharaohs army that received the full bath treatment : )
I truly appreciate the humor added, was not expecting that, hehe.😀

As said above, baptism does not save nor does lack of baptism hinder your salvation. The question is, should someone get baptized again if they think it was not done correctly. My answer is absolutely! If one has doubt about their commitment to Christ when the previous baptism was done, then by all means, go ahead and do what you believe to be a proper baptism. Examples are in the Bible. Jesus was baptized to pronounce His ministry to begin. This one in Acts 8 gives us a clear picture of how and why to be baptized:

Acts 8:
36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.

Baptism is a public faith building event, as the believer has this memorable event to hold onto throughout their life as a profession of faith, and for those who witness the baptism, it builds faith for them as they see another Christian make that public profession, joining with them as family.

As said above, baptism does not save nor does lack of baptism hinder your salvation. The question is, should someone get baptized again if they think it was not done correctly. My answer is absolutely! If one has doubt about their commitment to Christ when the previous baptism was done, then by all means, go ahead and do what you believe to be a proper baptism. Examples are in the Bible. Jesus was baptized to pronounce His ministry to begin. This one in Acts 8 gives us a clear picture of how and why to be baptized:

Acts 8:
36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.

Baptism is a public faith building event, as the believer has this memorable event to hold onto throughout their life as a profession of faith, and for those who witness the baptism, it builds faith for them as they see another Christian make that public profession, joining with them as family.
Good point 👍

I hope everyone is doing well. I would like to bring up a topic for discussion: Some Baptist churches here follow a specific format or constitution. When children turn 12 years old, it is mandatory for them to be baptized (especially in my village area), even if they have not yet accepted Jesus as their personal Savior. Later in life, when they come to fully understand the saving knowledge of Christ as adults or youths, some choose to get baptized again, but most do not. Some say that baptism should be done again, while others say it doesn’t matter. What is your biblical stand and personal life perspective? Let's not affiliated with doctrinal matter but just a formal discussion, thanks.

As said above, baptism does not save nor does lack of baptism hinder your salvation. The question is, should someone get baptized again if they think it was not done correctly. My answer is absolutely! If one has doubt about their commitment to Christ when the previous baptism was done, then by all means, go ahead and do what you believe to be a proper baptism. Examples are in the Bible. Jesus was baptized to pronounce His ministry to begin. This one in Acts 8 gives us a clear picture of how and why to be baptized: Baptism is a public faith building event, as the believer has this memorable event to hold onto throughout their life as a profession of faith, and for those who witness the baptism, it builds faith for them as they see another Christian make that public profession, joining with them as family.

Good morning, Pastor Mei;

I always meet with the person who wants to get baptised to explain and help them understand the purpose of water immersion. The average age is 12 years on up. There have been those rare times when a person explained to me that they wanted to get baptised again. I assure them once is sufficient. They didn't need my permission to get baptized again, but as Big Moose shared, those who had their reasons would receive my blessing.

You mentioned all Churches follow a format or constitution which I know you oversee in
Myanmar. All Christian Churches are autonomous in how they govern their congregation but it's important that Pastoral leaders do not confuse that with stepping out of Biblical doctrine and teaching.

Otherwise, you received some excellent posts from our members regarding the difference between water baptism and spiritual baptism.

God bless
you, Pastor, and Living Stream Ministry.

Water baptism is an act of obidence and plays NO part in the salvation process.

A "Mandatory" baptism to be a church member is a local Church requirement is is not in any way Biblical and will likely harm the child later in life as they will think that they are saved because they were baptized.

If, and I have personally baptized adults who were baptized as a child and when grown, realized that all they did was get wet, wanted to do it again when it actually meant something to them.

if a person has been truly saved baptized no matter the age there is no need for another baptism i know Baptist that if you join there church you must be baptized again into there church... that is a man made ordinance . waiter baptism is outward not inward they place to much emphasis on water

Back