Should Christians buy swords?

Well, what you going to do with it? Defend someone or attack?
I didnt buy a water gun cos it was cool, but i must admit it looks kinda cool.
I bought it to defend our chickens from being attacked by dogs. It shoots about 8 m. Theres a dog the neighbours have down the back whos been eying our chickens.

If he starts barking aggressively, i just shoot some water near him and he runs away.

You would defend yourself against anyone who was attacking you.

Reactions: Juk
Good verse but lets always be contextually accurate. We see in Luke something different.

Luke 22:36-38............
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”

They would need certain provisions, including a knife for preparation of food, cutting wood for fuel, and possibly to fend off robbers for which the area was noted. So, once Jesus' ordeal was over, they should make sure they each had a knife.
A sword is a weapon. A knife is something that can be used as a weapon or as a tool (depending on its design).
I'm fairly certain that Jesus and the disciples knew the difference when He gave them this instruction.
We have to remember that this was a time and place where violent death and injury touched their lives on a regular basis. It was not something that they only heard of through the separation of cameras and radios.

Defending your self from those who would do harm to you or your family is not a bad thing.

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
Rom 13:4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Learn how to use a real sword safely BEFORE buying one. I have been collecting edged weapons for about 30 years, and have seen TOO many newbies do something stupid with a blade that either injured themselves or damaged the furniture.

Depending on where you live some blades may also be ILLEGAL.

Learn how to use a real sword safely BEFORE buying one. I have been collecting edged weapons for about 30 years, and have seen TOO many newbies do something stupid with a blade that either injured themselves or damaged the furniture.

Depending on where you live some blades may also be ILLEGAL.
Wooden replicas are good for learning and preferably from someone who knows how to use it themselves.
Isn't it cool how often discipleship turns out to be the smart course.

The legality issue is also a big one. Too many bad movies and ignorant people (with the blades or watching those with them) have lead to a lot of laws prohibiting specific weapons or restricting where they can be used.

Last edited:
A sword is a weapon. A knife is something that can be used as a weapon or as a tool (depending on its design).
I'm fairly certain that Jesus and the disciples knew the difference when He gave them this instruction.
We have to remember that this was a time and place where violent death and injury touched their lives on a regular basis. It was not something that they only heard of through the separation of cameras and radios.

Absolutely agreed. That was my point!

Last edited:
Juk, I strongly advise you ask for God's opinion before proceeding with any purchase.
You must be careful what you do with a sword, after all it is a weapon. Allow God to guide you whatever you decide.
Please for the love of the Lord...be careful.

Yes be careful. I recall in my community someone got stabbed with knife and died, i dont think its cool to carry knives like that, should only use them for cooking not playing around.

I dont know what kind of sword you think is cool, but those things are sharp. The only physical weapon i use are my water gun and secateurs for gardening..oh and my niwashi. Thats for cutting down and digging out weeds.

This is a prophecy from Isaiah. 2:4

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Someone once said with great power comes great responsibility. I think the word greater must be employed. I mean look at the history of the world and the way thing are going today - it's hectic, and all forms of weapons are getting more powerful, more accurate, etc.
I almost wonder in our country what the stats of guns vs. knives will be in terms of crimes perpetrated. But needless the figures are heavy. I have been involved with weapons for sport for a long time, and even today do not believe in weapons for self defence, thus do not carry anything. Not sure if time will change my view point, but I know what tremendous weapons simple knifes make, even the kitchen variety.
So be sure what you want to do and be careful whatever you do.

Yea it sounded like Spiderman.
lol. Now, having special powers like sticky webs coming out your hands...I don't know. I kinda think that might not be such a blessing. Flies get attracted to you.

Back