Should you vote on political elections?

...So, should one vote?...
I am 42 years old and have never voted for a civic leader, and it is unlikely that I will ever do so.
Before anyone decides to state that I have no right to complain, note that I have given ten years of my life in military service.
For me it is simply a matter of trusting in God’s wisdom over my own.
That said…

Most of the answers you have received or will receive fall into two typical categories:

1). It is important to vote and we have a responsibility to vote
We should also consider the effectiveness of voting just as we would any other action (Luke 14:28-31).
In America, popular vote does not decide who becomes president. Electoral vote makes that decision.
There is also the consideration that our elected leaders have made it remarkable easy for those who are not citizens to vote.

Add to that generations who have learned that choosing certain leaders means that they get things they personally want without any more cost than standing in a line and then checking a box. Human nature left to its own devices inevitably leads to self-centered choices made without thought of potential consequences.

If we compare it to choosing leaders in the church, then we should note that we cannot know if what a person actually believes and does unless we personally know them and see them living day to day.
Add that to the fact that most of what we hear about or from any given candidate is filtered through a heavily biased media in sound bites chosen to garner attention rather than give a full picture.

Personally, I have always loved the irony that most (not all) of the ones who invoke this idea seemingly ignore other avenues of civic duty such as military service, sanitation, healthcare, emergency/medical care, farming, police work, childcare, teaching, or other civic service avenues.
Perhaps it is just a coincidence that these other forms of service are not as easy as standing in line and checking a box, or perhaps it is just coincidence that other forms of service don’t typically garner as much “positive” attention for the one doing them and telling others to do them.

2). A religious response of vote for God's choice
God (Romans 13:1) appoints government authorities, not us.
It is also worth considering what happened when God’s people demanded a king, they were given one (Saul) that fit what they thought was the ideal for a leader. The results of that choice are made plain in scripture. What we think is needed often proves to be something quite different than what we actually needed.
David (1 Samuel 13:14) was not among those that were set up to be chosen (1 Samuel 16) as a government leader.
We keep hearing about ideal candidates, but scripture repeatedly makes it plain that God usually does not up leaders that the people think are ideal.

If you are voting based on the philosophy of “God’s choice” then are you willing to vote for someone outside the highlighted candidates?
Are you willing to vote for the old coot in the back pew that everyone feels uncomfortable around?
Are you willing to vote for the for the barely eligible young guy with no apparent experience?

Yes:We should protect the children's innocence.Just as we keep Santa Claus belief up year after year.
There no chance for a honest man to get elected,but it's good for the kiddies to believe it.
bye

How do you reckon that?

For you not only teach your children that you lie to them. You lay the foundations for a cynicism that the world will happily feed and water for you .
You also indirectly lay the foundations for a false concept of God in that it is by your good works that you are blessed .

Would it not be far better to teach them the truth ?
and of the greatest gift of all to those who least deserved it?

in Christ
gerald

I am 42 years old and have never voted for a civic leader, and it is unlikely that I will ever do so.
Before anyone decides to state that I have no right to complain, note that I have given ten years of my life in military service.
For me it is simply a matter of trusting in God’s wisdom over my own.
That said…

Most of the answers you have received or will receive fall into two typical categories:

1). It is important to vote and we have a responsibility to vote
We should also consider the effectiveness of voting just as we would any other action (Luke 14:28-31).
In America, popular vote does not decide who becomes president. Electoral vote makes that decision.
There is also the consideration that our elected leaders have made it remarkable easy for those who are not citizens to vote.

Add to that generations who have learned that choosing certain leaders means that they get things they personally want without any more cost than standing in a line and then checking a box. Human nature left to its own devices inevitably leads to self-centered choices made without thought of potential consequences.

If we compare it to choosing leaders in the church, then we should note that we cannot know if what a person actually believes and does unless we personally know them and see them living day to day.
Add that to the fact that most of what we hear about or from any given candidate is filtered through a heavily biased media in sound bites chosen to garner attention rather than give a full picture.

Personally, I have always loved the irony that most (not all) of the ones who invoke this idea seemingly ignore other avenues of civic duty such as military service, sanitation, healthcare, emergency/medical care, farming, police work, childcare, teaching, or other civic service avenues.
Perhaps it is just a coincidence that these other forms of service are not as easy as standing in line and checking a box, or perhaps it is just coincidence that other forms of service don’t typically garner as much “positive” attention for the one doing them and telling others to do them.

2). A religious response of vote for God's choice
God (Romans 13:1) appoints government authorities, not us.
It is also worth considering what happened when God’s people demanded a king, they were given one (Saul) that fit what they thought was the ideal for a leader. The results of that choice are made plain in scripture. What we think is needed often proves to be something quite different than what we actually needed.
David (1 Samuel 13:14) was not among those that were set up to be chosen (1 Samuel 16) as a government leader.
We keep hearing about ideal candidates, but scripture repeatedly makes it plain that God usually does not up leaders that the people think are ideal.

If you are voting based on the philosophy of “God’s choice” then are you willing to vote for someone outside the highlighted candidates?
Are you willing to vote for the old coot in the back pew that everyone feels uncomfortable around?
Are you willing to vote for the for the barely eligible young guy with no apparent experience?
What you say here plays into what many Americans used to do, and that was split their ticket, which means vote one party for congress and another for president. This balanced things out so neither side got too full of themselves. Less would get done, which was good for the citizenry.

What is God saying?

He told me to tell you
Mat 7:7 — Mat 7:8
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened
Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

God bless you abundantly

If we look to scripture for an answer to this question, we'll see quite clearly that a believer in the Lord Jesus shouldn't vote. We're subjects of a kingdom which is not of this world (John 18:36). The world is always trying to tell us about our rights and how we should exercise our rights, including the right to vote. What would the apostle Paul say to that? "Ye have died, and your life is hid with the Christ in God." (Colossians 3:3). Has a dead person got rights? No. As far as the world and its ordinances is concerned, we're dead, we have nothing to say to them. Paul could describe himself as an ambassador (Ephesians 6:20). An ambassador represents his sovereign in a foreign country. He doesn't vote in that country's elections, because it isn't his country. He stands for the rights and interests of his King, but not his own. He may petition government, but never try to replace it or support it, by fair means or foul. We, brethren, are strangers and sojourners in this world. We cannot claim earthly citizenship and heavenly - it has to be one or the other.

He told me to tell you
Mat 7:7 — Mat 7:8
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened
Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

God bless you abundantly
I am not kocking you. God talks to all of us. I am refering to the person you going to vote for. Who are you leaning toward?

I am not kocking you. God talks to all of us. I am refering to the person you going to vote for. Who are you leaning toward?
Oh i didn't think you were. I asked God what should i say to you and you got what He told me. I cannot reveal as of yet whom i am going to vote for.

Blessings to you

If we look to scripture for an answer to this question, we'll see quite clearly that a believer in the Lord Jesus shouldn't vote. We're subjects of a kingdom which is not of this world (John 18:36). The world is always trying to tell us about our rights and how we should exercise our rights, including the right to vote. What would the apostle Paul say to that? "Ye have died, and your life is hid with the Christ in God." (Colossians 3:3). Has a dead person got rights? No. As far as the world and its ordinances is concerned, we're dead, we have nothing to say to them. Paul could describe himself as an ambassador (Ephesians 6:20). An ambassador represents his sovereign in a foreign country. He doesn't vote in that country's elections, because it isn't his country. He stands for the rights and interests of his King, but not his own. He may petition government, but never try to replace it or support it, by fair means or foul. We, brethren, are strangers and sojourners in this world. We cannot claim earthly citizenship and heavenly - it has to be one or the other.
I would not dispute at all that we are of another Kingdom and have so to speak cast our vote.
Nevertheless the UK and the USA were raised by God for a purpose.
The one to reflect the kingship of God the other the liberty of the people and have until 1945 anyway defended and preserved those Christian liberties men now claim (steal?)as their rights.
The UK in particular has an even graver responsibility being the prime foundation of them and preserver for the last 1000 years.
If the foundations are destroyed what can the righteous do?
"Democracy is the worst for of government there is but every other forms has been tried and by implication does not work . Winston Churchill.
Which is strange when you consider that every one is saying democracy, democracy, democracy!
Democracy has a fatal flaw in it and a hidden snare to the unwary.
It has its limitations which is beginning to dawn on the USA .
It is also one reason why we have an unelected Monarch as head of state.
Not only because a King is of God. But it foreshadows the fact that the truth is not democratic and it must be and will be the truth that must reign and rule.

But if you in a democracy want to grow weeds do nothing.
If we in a Kingdom blindly vote for a party and elect people to represent us who we don't know,never seen,heard or had a decent conversation with.then the accumulative consequences of such folly is to fill a house of Commons who are but in the main political yes men,n's do wells (never do well) corrupt and some perverted men and women who now think the truth is what they say it is because they are in a majority and have not only made a lie equal to the truth in law but now declare THEY are Sovereign.

My understanding is that a Christian shouldn't concern himself with politics. The political parties change, the politicians that you can say are very Christian may lack compassion towards poor and others. Some might be compassionate, but non Christian, etc.

So, should one vote?

Thanks

Your understanding is flawed my friend. The truth is that if you do not vote you have absolutely NO right to complain about anything done or decisions made. It is the duty and responsibility of every Christian to vote and to vote for leaders who promote Christian principles. As born-again believers, we ought to strive to choose leaders who will be themselves led by our Creator. Candidates or proposals that violate the Bible’s commands for life, family, marriage, or faith should never be supported. Christians should vote as led through prayer and study of both God’s Word and the realities of the choices on the ballot.

Do YOU really understand what is at stake????

In countries who do not enjoy the freedom to vote, they change leadership of their countries by revolution. That means conflict, coersion, war and death.

Those nations who have a vote change leadership every 4 or 5 years peacefully with a simple vote.

In our day and age, there are many who want to drive the name and message of Christ completely out of the public arena. Voting is an opportunity to promote, protect, and preserve godly government. Passing up that opportunity means letting those who would denigrate the name of Christ have their way in our lives. The leaders we elect—or do nothing to remove—have great influence on our freedoms. They can choose to protect our right to worship and spread the gospel, or they can restrict those rights. They can lead our nation toward righteousness or toward moral disaster. As Christians, we should stand up and follow our command to fulfill our civic duties.

Matt. 22:21..........
" They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."

The angels fight, yes, but you too are a warrior. So fight at the ballot box too.

I love that! It fits in with Proverbs 24:11-12..........

If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain;
"If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works?"

I would not dispute at all that we are of another Kingdom and have so to speak cast our vote.
Nevertheless the UK and the USA were raised by God for a purpose.
The one to reflect the kingship of God the other the liberty of the people and have until 1945 anyway defended and preserved those Christian liberties men now claim (steal?)as their rights.
The UK in particular has an even graver responsibility being the prime foundation of them and preserver for the last 1000 years.
If the foundations are destroyed what can the righteous do?
"Democracy is the worst for of government there is but every other forms has been tried and by implication does not work . Winston Churchill.
Which is strange when you consider that every one is saying democracy, democracy, democracy!
Democracy has a fatal flaw in it and a hidden snare to the unwary.
It has its limitations which is beginning to dawn on the USA .
It is also one reason why we have an unelected Monarch as head of state.
Not only because a King is of God. But it foreshadows the fact that the truth is not democratic and it must be and will be the truth that must reign and rule.

But if you in a democracy want to grow weeds do nothing.
If we in a Kingdom blindly vote for a party and elect people to represent us who we don't know,never seen,heard or had a decent conversation with.then the accumulative consequences of such folly is to fill a house of Commons who are but in the main political yes men,n's do wells (never do well) corrupt and some perverted men and women who now think the truth is what they say it is because they are in a majority and have not only made a lie equal to the truth in law but now declare THEY are Sovereign.

Yes, democracy is flawed.

If you had posted ALL of what Mr. Churchill said you would have seen that the quote was ..............
""Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time."

Democracy works because even though the leaders of a nation are not always the wisest people, they know that they can loose their power just as quickly as they gained it if the people do not approve of what they're doing. A Democratic society is not in any way utopian and no one pretends it is, but no society yet has been perfect, and that is thought behind Winston Churchill's quote. Basically Churchill means that while democracy isn't perfect, nothing is and so far it's the best form of government
we have.

The great flaw and hidden snare with democracy is the idea that if you can get a majority and keep a good grip on the legislative process then the truth us what ever you say it is or make it.

Democracy can only 'work' when the nation by its majority is close to GOD?
As things now stand the UK and very possibly the USA are heading for great storms the like of which has not been seen in hundreds of years.
We know by scripture that democracy will not be how the Lord will or does rule.For God is not democratic.But neither is he a tyrant.and has given man time to not only repent but has also let him do his own will and government.
The devolution of power to kings to parliament and to people has indeed proved the truth,That the truth is not democratic nor is it what Kings have asserted because they are kings.is proving also it is not what parliament says it is just because they govern.Nor is it by what 'the people' say it is simply because there are more of them than any king or parliament.
Should we vote yes.
But if we wish democracy to 'work ' not as blindly as we have been doing progressively since 1945.when the whole world was at our feet so to speak.

my ommission then of the end of his quote,does not therefore detract from my argument or undermine it.But rather raises my estimation of the man.
In Christ
Gerald

One more thought.
We are to spread the Gospel throughout the world.
Should we not, then, use all the tools at our disposal to this endeavor?
So we should be voting for presidents and congressmen who will be the most favorable to, and least likely to hinder, the spreading of the Gospel.
Never vote for the candidate or party who is the least trusting of Christian organizations. Beware of those who are opposed to: prayer in school and government, the Ten Commandments on display in the public venue, Nativity scenes in town squares, calling it the Christmas season or lighting the Christmas tree, and freedom of Christian organizations to remain free of endorsing certain marriages and abortion.

I think we all know who the politicians are who work against people who "cling to their Bibles".

Back