Shrinking Church Attendance And What To Do About It?

i wouldn't call God's Word traditional or old, it's the foundation laid by Jesus Christ and the Apostles as an example for us today. There is no middle ground...

You confuse the Word for the rigid need of a traditional building.
We do not need the building as much now that we have the net.

Let go of the rigid insistance because of tradition.

You confuse the Word for the rigid need of a traditional building.
We do not need the building as much now that we have the net.

Let go of the rigid insistance because of tradition.

Hello and apologies for the late reply. I think your being little presumptuous in your statement of the need of a traditional building, now that we live in cities we have more of a need of a building now more than ever. As a Pastor you have to consider all of the individuals needs who assemble themselves together and they are varied. We've seen the 'house church' models in the past and I'm afraid to say, they grow to the point where you've guessed it, they need a building to function properly.

We need the building my friend, you can't baptize someone in water over the net nor anoint them with oil, these are examples of many where the internet just won't do. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent tool, but not an alternative to gathering together in fellowship.

Connecting online is great to meet people you otherwise would not. But there is something lost in the anonymity it creates, I guess the reality of the relationship and comradery found in personal, face to face friendship.

Hello and apologies for the late reply. I think your being little presumptuous in your statement of the need of a traditional building, now that we live in cities we have more of a need of a building now more than ever. As a Pastor you have to consider all of the individuals needs who assemble themselves together and they are varied. We've seen the 'house church' models in the past and I'm afraid to say, they grow to the point where you've guessed it, they need a building to function properly.

We need the building my friend, you can't baptize someone in water over the net nor anoint them with oil, these are examples of many where the internet just won't do. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent tool, but not an alternative to gathering together in fellowship.

I can only go by the example of The King. He did not have a temple, he came to the people.

I can see a day where the services are held via group webcast where the flock log on and sign in (kind of like in this forum) from home without having to face the travel (great for those that have trouble getting rides). And on special occasions such as baptism you all get a space, outside, and baptise.

The day will come when the physical, single purpose structure will give way to a more early Christian ideal. Anyway the structure no longer provides what it used to back in the Renaissance and Middle Ages. Few churches offer any daily service, assistance or sanctuary.

Most are locked up fortresses keeping The Word in the same fashion that the Temple did in Jesus' times.

In Jesus' time schools taught the scriptures, and a respect for their religious beliefs, however flawed, was instilled in the Jewish children. Now, religion in schools is a no-no and many adults have little or no instruction in any religion. I think the churches today serve a purpose in that they can be the learning centers for the community, where youth can get involved personally with other believers, worship with others and sing together, which you can't really do online.
Remember Heb 10:24-25 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Now, religion in schools is a no-no

On the contrary, there are many bible study groups in schools when school is NOT in session.

The problem with religious instruction during school session is one, you're there to learn the three Rs. Two, WHOSE version of religion will it be?

I am all for NOT having led prayer or instruction in school because of the second great command.

I find NO love in trying to jam a baptist doctrine down a lutheran throat, nor a catholic doctrine down a pentacostal.
And no way would I try and jam a jewish one down a christian.

The King would be very pleased with obeying the command, especially so from a nation that worships mammon.

On the contrary, there are many bible study groups in schools when school is NOT in session.

The problem with religious instruction during school session is one, you're there to learn the three Rs. Two, WHOSE version of religion will it be?

I am all for NOT having led prayer or instruction in school because of the second great command.

I find NO love in trying to jam a baptist doctrine down a lutheran throat, nor a catholic doctrine down a pentacostal.

The King would be very pleased with obeying the command, especially so from a nation that worships mammon.
Where are these "many" bible study groups? :cautious:

When I lived the US there was LOGOS groups in many high schools.

If your school does not have any such its time to encourage kids to start one.
maybe in a few states, and a few schools...but this is not a common thing here. And everything we see it trending against this being allowed. Many don't even allow a believer to speak of their faith at school events.

I can only go by the example of The King. He did not have a temple, he came to the people.

I can see a day where the services are held via group webcast where the flock log on and sign in (kind of like in this forum) from home without having to face the travel (great for those that have trouble getting rides). And on special occasions such as baptism you all get a space, outside, and baptise.

The day will come when the physical, single purpose structure will give way to a more early Christian ideal. Anyway the structure no longer provides what it used to back in the Renaissance and Middle Ages. Few churches offer any daily service, assistance or sanctuary.

Most are locked up fortresses keeping The Word in the same fashion that the Temple did in Jesus' times.

I see what you're driving at however, our church and many other do offer 24/7 Christianity based on the New Testament example of the churches. We're driving hard to make an early church example ie the foundation of the Apostles a reality in our area to create a place which God can dwell, reach out and transform. It's a big opportunity but with the vision comes the need for a larger building, we serve a big God and we need big buildings....

I am really not offended what doctrine a school would ram down my kids throat. As long as Jesus is taught its far greater then nothing or atheism.

Agreed. But I am sure you will agree that all denominations (even maybe a little JW) > nothing and definitely > atheism.

Agreed. But I am sure you will agree that all denominations (even maybe a little JW) > nothing and definitely > atheism.

No I cannot agree.

I would rather have nothing taught at all in school and leave that to ME.

I neither want them to teach faith nor what to think. Instead teach basic skills of life and HOW to think, not what.

No I cannot agree.

I would rather have nothing taught at all in school and leave that to ME.

I neither want them to teach faith nor what to think. Instead teach basic skills of life and HOW to think, not what.
You must admit Dave, that what is going on is not a teaching of basic skills, but an intended focus to destroy the faith of the young people in the education system.

@Mitspa

What do you think the US is?

It is NOT a Christian nation, there are NONE in this world.
It slays its children by many means, so Baal would be pleased.
It is guided by mammon.

So it is the hearth and home that will teach faith. Just as it should teach personal responsibility and ethics.

@Mitspa

What do you think the US is?

It is NOT a Christian nation, there are NONE in this world.
It slays its children by many means, so Baal would be pleased.
It is guided by mammon.

So it is the hearth and home that will teach faith. Just as it should teach personal responsibility and ethics.
It is what the people have courage and faith to make it, and of course its been a "Christian" nation. Not at the intention of its leaders but at the intention of its people. Yes satan has been at work from the beginning and continues, but one does not just throw up his hands and say we have no power or voice in this nation.

It is what the people have courage and faith to make it, and of course its been a "Christian" nation. Not at the intention of its leaders but at the intention of its people. Yes satan has been at work from the beginning and continues, but one does not just throw up his hands and say we have no power or voice in this nation.

Where in the US Constitution does it state that The Two Great Commands of The King are law?

Please give me the article and section of any US legal code that does.

Where in the US Constitution does it state that The Two Great Commands of The King are law?

Please give me the article and section of any US legal code that does.
Well just because the "law" is not quoted , does not mean the foundation of this legal system was not drawn from the law? But that's not the point...the people make the nation and a nation that promotes religious liberty and freedom to worship is the work of the Lord, not satan.

The legal system was not drawn from The two commands. They were drawn from a whole lot of code that has been with men and for men.

And what people?

The people that savaged the aboriginal populations?
The people that enslaved Africans?
The people that kept women as second class citizens?
The people that kept the non-land holding citizen from equal treatment?

How are ANY of these things even close to keeping the second command?

If you cannot follow the second, you cannot follow the first. If you do not follow the Commands of The King
you are NOT WITH The king.

The fruits are NOT there. US not Christian. Just another worldly nation.

Back