Sign of Jonah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who am I:

John Wesley is not scripture!

I did not say or even intimate that the resurrection was on Sunday.

Jesus was buried Wed. evening and resurrected Sat. evening (April 25th 31 AD) three days and three nights later just as He said He would be.

I know John Wesley is not Scripture. The Scriptures in that post are the ones he used, not me. And I believe he was just using them as examples of how they used the terms “night and day” or “day and night” since they didn’t have a word for a full day.

I wasn’t accusing you of saying when the resurrection was, just the way you worded it makes it sound like four nights.

And as far as how long Jesus was in the tomb, that would be on a whole other thread.

God bless
Dean

Who am I: Re: Post #7

Actually none of the scriptures you listed prove that three days and three nights are not three days and three nights.
As far as your understanding about the weekly sabbath is concerned there is no problem, but you don't seem to understand the annual sabbaths.

Days begin and end at sun down according to God.

The 14th day of the first month is The Passover. Lev. 23:5
Jesus was crucified on The Passover. Lk. 22:15 and Jo. 13:1

The women stayed with Jesus until He was buried. Mat. 27: 60-61 and
Mk. 15:46-47 That was at sun down, beginning the 15th day of the month.

The 15th day of the first month is the First Day of Unleavened Bread.
This is the first annual Sabbath of the year. Lev. 23:6-7.

In Jo. 19:31 This special Sabbath is referred to as a “High Day.” Not a normal
weekly Sabbath.

Since it was the day after The Passover we know that it was The First Day of Unleavened Bread. The Passover is the preparation day before The First Day of Unleavened.

Mk. 16:1 Explains that after this Sabbath ended the women went out, bought and prepared spices.

Lk. 23:56 Shows that after the women bought and prepared the spices they rested on the next Sabbath according to the commandment. The forth commandment to be exact. That would be the weekly Sabbath.

So to summarize; Jesus observed Passover Tuesday evening. He was arrested later that night. During the daylight hours of Wednesday Jesus was crucified and died.
Then He was buried just before the High Day Sabbath began Wednesday evening. That Sabbath ended Thursday evening at sundown.
Friday the women bought spices and prepared them and then rested on the weekly Sabbath. (Friday evening till Saturday evening.)
Sunday morning just before or right at sunrise the women came to the tomb just to have an angel tell them Jesus was not there and had risen just as He had said He would be.

We need not read anything into or out of the scriptures. Jesus said three days and three nights; He meant what He said and He was right.
I sure hope this helps.

MODERATORS CAUTION

We have received a complaint from a member who is not involved in this thread. The member felt that the above comments seems to have demeaning undertones.

Having carefully read the entire thread we must caution members to stick to the topic. Prior to this quoted post nobody had mentioned annual sabbaths so it is incorrect to state that their understanding is lacking.

Please also remember we are not here to prove our own understanding as the correct one but rather to fellowship, share and encourage one another. There are other forums devoted to theological debate.

We would encourage all members to make a practice of reading the forum rules on a regular basis to remind themselves.

In Matthew, when Jesus said that evil people are the ones who want to see a miracle for a sign, but they won't get one they'll only get the sign of Jonah.

What did He mean?

I'd look it up but I gotta run, just using my brothers computer.

Thanks. :D

Luke 11:30
For as Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites, so also will the Son of Man be to this generation.

I think it is self explanatory and people have already told why Jonah was the sign .

Matthew 12:38
[ The Sign of Jonah ] Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."

Matthew 12:39
He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

Jesus said in the same way the Son of Man will be in the grave for three days and three nights just as Jonah was in the stomach of the big fish for three days and three nights.

The pharisees and the teachers of the law were once again trying to trip Jesus up by asking to see Jesus work a miracle as a sign , but Jesus told them they were evil and sinful men who want to see a miracle for a sign . and then He told them that no sign would be given them , except the sign of the prophet Jonah .

Who am I: Re: Post #7

Actually none of the scriptures you listed prove that three days and three nights are not three days and three nights.
As far as your understanding about the weekly sabbath is concerned there is no problem, but you don't seem to understand the annual sabbaths.

Days begin and end at sun down according to God.

The 14th day of the first month is The Passover. Lev. 23:5
Jesus was crucified on The Passover. Lk. 22:15 and Jo. 13:1

The women stayed with Jesus until He was buried. Mat. 27: 60-61 and
Mk. 15:46-47 That was at sun down, beginning the 15th day of the month.

The 15th day of the first month is the First Day of Unleavened Bread.
This is the first annual Sabbath of the year. Lev. 23:6-7.

In Jo. 19:31 This special Sabbath is referred to as a “High Day.” Not a normal
weekly Sabbath.

Since it was the day after The Passover we know that it was The First Day of Unleavened Bread. The Passover is the preparation day before The First Day of Unleavened.

Mk. 16:1 Explains that after this Sabbath ended the women went out, bought and prepared spices.

Lk. 23:56 Shows that after the women bought and prepared the spices they rested on the next Sabbath according to the commandment. The forth commandment to be exact. That would be the weekly Sabbath.

So to summarize; Jesus observed Passover Tuesday evening. He was arrested later that night. During the daylight hours of Wednesday Jesus was crucified and died.
Then He was buried just before the High Day Sabbath began Wednesday evening. That Sabbath ended Thursday evening at sundown.
Friday the women bought spices and prepared them and then rested on the weekly Sabbath. (Friday evening till Saturday evening.)
Sunday morning just before or right at sunrise the women came to the tomb just to have an angel tell them Jesus was not there and had risen just as He had said He would be.

We need not read anything into or out of the scriptures. Jesus said three days and three nights; He meant what He said and He was right.
I sure hope this helps.

Yes Jesus did Spend 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb as the scriptures say.

People have been tied up in the traditions of men who through ignorance of the special High Sabbaths tried to explain in their mind a contradiction that never existed.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

PS: There is nothing demeaning in bringing this to light. This is not a theological point at all it is a simple explanation of what actually happened. How can one be offended by scriptures explained? In fact people should be joyed to be given the knowledge that allows them to defend the truth of scripture when it is challenged by people who believe the have a winning argument against Jesus.

PS: There is nothing demeaning in bringing this to light. This is not a theological point at all it is a simple explanation of what actually happened. How can one be offended by scriptures explained? In fact people should be joyed to be given the knowledge that allows them to defend the truth of scripture when it is challenged by people who believe the have a winning argument against Jesus.[/quote]

You are correct. There is no problem presenting scriptural truth in fact that is a good thing.

The compliant we received related to the tone used by the poster.

Uncalled for comments such as
you don't seem to understand the annual sabbaths
when nobody had previously even mentioned annual sabbaths and
John Wesley is not scripture!
when the poster had never suggested that he was scripture but simply recorded his comments with the correct attribution to the source.

These comments fall under rule 2.1
Rule 2.1 Common courtesy and civil dialogue is expected from all participants. Common courtesy is a generally understood concept and too broad to fully define here. In short, if you have doubt on whether you should say something, DON'T!

Further there are differing views within Christianity about the sabbath. Rule 3.2b clearly states

3.2b ChristianForumSite.com has a wide variety of members from around the World. This Forum does not allow the elevation of one Christian belief system over another. This is a violation of Regulations 3.1 and 3.2 in demeaning and belittling the beliefs of other Christians while promoting another system so as to create an atmosphere of superiority. Any such posts or threads will be removed and a reminder, warning or ban issued as necessary

I trust that answers your comment. Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.

Rule 5.2 If you believe a Moderator/Helper directive is incorrect you should not discuss it in the community. Instead send a private message to the Administrator or the Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back