Slave Vs Servant

Taken from 'The Bait of Satan" by John Bevere:

Another word for liberty is privilege. We are not to use our liberty or privileges as children of the living God to serve ourselves. Liberty is to be used to serve others There is freedom in serving but bondage in slavery. A slave is one who has to serve while a servant is one who lives to serve. Let’s look at some of the differences between a slave’s attitude and a servant’s:

* A slave has to -- a servant gets to.

* A slave does the minimum requirement -- a servant reaches the maximum potential.

* A slave goes one mile -- a servant goes the extra mile.

* A slave feels robbed -- a servant gives.

* A slave is bound -- a servant is free.

* A slave fights for his rights -- a servant lays down his rights

I dont know how to reply to this. Perhaps I will say it like this. We all have our favorite book authors. Some of them I have out grown. (That probably wont go down well, oh well.)

I dont know how to reply to this. Perhaps I will say it like this. We all have our favorite book authors. Some of them I have out grown. (That probably wont go down well, oh well.)

I'm more of a content person. If they turn out to be a good author in my opinion, more power to them.

My aunt is always recommending one Christian book or another to me. If people are helped I guess thats good. I prefer to stay in the Word.

Having said that I did watch one of his video presentations on youtube once. He wasn't really "my style".

One thing that did get me thinking about your original post was "walking the extra mile". I wonder what people think that looks like in our every day life. What if you work a 9 to 5 job and need to be at work by 8am. Do you say "I'll walk that extra mile only if it doesn't make me late for work"?

My aunt is always recommending one Christian book or another to me. If people are helped I guess thats good. I prefer to stay in the Word.

Having said that I did watch one of his video presentations on youtube once. He wasn't really "my style".

One thing that did get me thinking about your original post was "walking the extra mile". I wonder what people think that looks like in our every day life. What if you work a 9 to 5 job and need to be at work by 8am. Do you say "I'll walk that extra mile only if it doesn't make me late for work"?

I think this means that one is either content with what is required of them and they're done, or when the opportunity presents itself they go one step further. So, when the opportunity presents itself, do we take that extra step or do we stay content with only doing what is required?

Also, I don't really read books like this one. I normally stick to studying spiritual warfare, occult and demonology aside from reading the Word. It's interesting to hear other people's accounts and compare them to scripture to discern what they did right or what they did wrong. After a while it gets quite repetitive and most of the people make the same mistakes from book to book, personal testimony to personal testimony. Nonetheless, it's interesting literature.

Did you know where ear piercing came from?

Exodus 21:5-6 (KJV)
And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free: Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.

Who's earring do you wear? ;)

I think the word, "Bondservant" is referred as one who was once a slave, and was been set free but decides to stay with his master because his loves him.

Mt 17:25 He saith, Yea. And when he came into the house, Jesus spake first to him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? the kings of the earth, from whom do they receive toll or tribute? from their sons, or from strangers?
26 And when he said, From strangers, Jesus said unto him, Therefore the sons are free.

Back