So. Baptist Pastor: We Have to Crucify Our Self-Righteousness

So. Baptist Pastor: We Have to Crucify Our Self-Righteousness

In evangelical Christianity, believers want to judge those outside the church rather than those within, said a conservative Baptist. "The reason that's the case is because we don't see the church as a family."

More...

He called attendees to look at the difference between the way conservative evangelical churches speak to the issue of divorce and the way they speak to the issue of homosexuality.

Though both issues are addressed clearly in Scripture, evangelicals "speak in very muted and ambiguous terms" when it comes to divorce, Moore pointed out.

"We say we do that ... because divorced people are hurting and they need grace and mercy. Do you not think homosexuals need grace and mercy?" he posed.

"The reason we speak that way is because the people in our congregations are not watching divorce parades in San Francisco and shaking their heads in disgust and we have far more out-of-the-closet divorces than out-of-the-closet homosexuals in our congregation, at least that we know about. And out-of-the-closet divorces are the ones that are tithing and paying the bills and so we speak to them in a very different way than we speak to others on the outside."

"That is a scandal," Moore stated bluntly.

Whoo hoo! preach it!

During the nearly hour-long session, he admonished fellow believers about the nature of the church as a spiritual household and the need to act like a family.

"There are no individuals in your congregation," he stated. "You have brothers and sisters in your congregation. They're in your home.

Hey .. so i wasn't out of my mind after all .. or if i was we can at least be crazy together ;)

I just read the whole thing and this pastor is spot on with the conditions that are so prevelent in churches today . More pastors need to speak out and preach it the way he has . The church today ( not all churches ) are sleeping and just letting the world pass by . and he is spot on about the hurting homosectuals that no one is doing anything about . Being involved in this community there is a huge memorial to the thousands who have died of aids here in downtown Toronto because no one has shared the gospel with them . It breaks my heart.

I read it with a James lense . and it made a lot of sense . the two main messages are:

if you're merciful to divorcees then be merciful to homosexuals or the reverse?

and that we're a family . it's not about "me, myself or Irene"

Interestingly enough our message was along those lines today . First we belong to the Lord and second to each other as part of the Body of Christ . IN other words we have each other's back to encourage, forgive and love each other as Christ loves us . OUr mandate is to love each other as a family . When we belong nothing or no one can shake us out of His hand .

Its kind of hard to crucify yourself. You may get the feet and one hand nails to the cross but not the other one :D

We need to realize we ARE already crucified and walk accordingly.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Romans 6:11
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hence you must die and be reborn again. Kill the old self and be regenerated in the Lord. A repentance 100% 180 degrees turnaround in your way of life.

Tell your flesh, your a dead man! :D

Chili out

Back