So discouraged with Christianity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined this site many months ago while searching for fellowship online. I don't think I ever posted here and spent a large amount of time on another very prominent site. This site gets very little traffic but I believe is comprised of actual Christians, so I'm just venting.

What I discovered is that going to that other site and engaging in debate and conversations with "Christians" actually hurt my faith; maybe even damaged it permanently.

So much mental illness among the members. So much embracing of political systems that seek to destroy Christianity. I just don't understand how a Believer can not only support a political party that vows to restrict religious freedoms, but actually vote for and empower those who insult, denigrate, and attack Christians.

Then when I speak out against such a political system, I get warned by the moderators.

I grew up in a small town going to church. Christians were good people. Everyone I knew were polite, conservative, outdoor types. Growing up in the 80's meant that if you went to church, you were conservative and a moral person.

The church I now attend in the same area that I grew up in is comprised of those same types of people.

Imagine my shock when I go online and get attacked for owning guns for hunting and self-defense. My conservative political views are attacked and mocked. Then I get flagged and warned for defending those views.

If this is what Christians are actually like in the world, then I want no part of that.

Of course a lot of my issues with those types is on me. I lack grace. I pray for grace every night. And for patience and wisdom. I have little peace and joy in my heart and I know it. That's why I went online to seek fellowship. I had started going to a Bible study during the week for the same reason. Things were looking up and I began feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit again.

Then it was destroyed by continual attacks on my faith and way of life by those who hold leftist world views.

If someone who is a true Christian can embrace such an evil political system that historically has been responsible for the murder of millions of people, Christians included, then how can there be any real faith? And it's not like it's just a couple of people with mental illnesses that embrace such views, it's hundreds of people on that site that espouse such twisted views.

So, if Christians can hold such views, then how can Christianity be real? How can thousands of people be so deceived? How can the owners of a Christian site not recognize the evil of such political views?

How can entire churches be formed and based on ideas that the Bible speaks against? How can people who profess to be Christians and be full of the Holy Spirit hold such opposing views?

Isn't that what our entire faith is supposed to provide? Unity in Christ?

I'll probably be banned for this post, and that's fine. I think I'm done with online forums. People are just getting worse and worse on social media. So much hate and anger these days. It was just surprising to see so many Christians being deceived.

I'm sorry you've suffered for others. The truth is, I hang out at another site as well. We are experiencing this verse.

Matthew 24:12-13 (KJV)
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.​

I can count on one hand the number of true Christians on the other site with a 55k membership. My point is, there are a huge number of people that think they're Christians and they're not. They pretend and get frustrated and turn to legalism which removes any love in them. Then you even have spies and saboteurs of the enemy that do the attacking, and yet more people that just debate for sport and really have no real viewpoint except to win the match at any cost. Remember too that a lot of people online don't have much of a life and don't know how to deal with people in real life. Just stick with the Holy Spirit and put on your armor from God and remember to rest in the Lord after a battle. Hang in there.

Joined this site many months ago while searching for fellowship online. I don't think I ever posted here and spent a large amount of time on another very prominent site. This site gets very little traffic but I believe is comprised of actual Christians, so I'm just venting.

What I discovered is that going to that other site and engaging in debate and conversations with "Christians" actually hurt my faith; maybe even damaged it permanently.

So much mental illness among the members. So much embracing of political systems that seek to destroy Christianity. I just don't understand how a Believer can not only support a political party that vows to restrict religious freedoms, but actually vote for and empower those who insult, denigrate, and attack Christians.

Then when I speak out against such a political system, I get warned by the moderators.

I grew up in a small town going to church. Christians were good people. Everyone I knew were polite, conservative, outdoor types. Growing up in the 80's meant that if you went to church, you were conservative and a moral person.

The church I now attend in the same area that I grew up in is comprised of those same types of people.

Imagine my shock when I go online and get attacked for owning guns for hunting and self-defense. My conservative political views are attacked and mocked. Then I get flagged and warned for defending those views.

If this is what Christians are actually like in the world, then I want no part of that.

Of course a lot of my issues with those types is on me. I lack grace. I pray for grace every night. And for patience and wisdom. I have little peace and joy in my heart and I know it. That's why I went online to seek fellowship. I had started going to a Bible study during the week for the same reason. Things were looking up and I began feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit again.

Then it was destroyed by continual attacks on my faith and way of life by those who hold leftist world views.

If someone who is a true Christian can embrace such an evil political system that historically has been responsible for the murder of millions of people, Christians included, then how can there be any real faith? And it's not like it's just a couple of people with mental illnesses that embrace such views, it's hundreds of people on that site that espouse such twisted views.

So, if Christians can hold such views, then how can Christianity be real? How can thousands of people be so deceived? How can the owners of a Christian site not recognize the evil of such political views?

How can entire churches be formed and based on ideas that the Bible speaks against? How can people who profess to be Christians and be full of the Holy Spirit hold such opposing views?

I'll probably be banned for this post, and that's fine. I think I'm done with online forums. People are just getting worse and worse on social media. So much hate and anger these days. It was just surprising to see so many Christians being deceived.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif
Hey there new friend it's great to have you here in our neck of the woods :)

You have come to the right place, there is no one that will attack you here, and if they do... just push the report button, and we will handle things from there.

Thank you for sharing a little about yourself we look forward to some good ol fellowship one with another.

As we ask of all new members,
Please look over the Following and Familiarize yourself with them, this will help you to have a safe and joyful time here in the forum.

Again this is just forum procedure and nothing else.

1. Forum Policies and Procedures
2. Topics which May Not Be Discussed in the open forum.

If you have any questions or issues with the forum, please feel free to contact a moderator or helper and we will do what we can to help.

Again Welcome to cfs
Blessings

There are carnal believers everywhere, we whom choose to follow Christ and what the Word says to, will suffer persecution just like He did... but don't give up hope, there are a lot of us that don't compromise the Word and hopefully you will stick around for awhile and find some peace here.

Blessings of grace and peace be yours in abundance

Welcome!

I understand your frustration and your surprise/dismay at how things can go online.

I would encourage you to get to know people at your local church. Try out various sunday school classes and bible studies until you find the right one.

Its even worth trying out different churches. Its pretty amazing how you can find God working in places you simply would not expect....

Servant68 - Thank you for speaking of your observations elsewhere. Our staff here knows all too well what takes place at other so-called Christian forums. However, what is allowed at other forums to demean others and Christianity in general, is not tolerated here. The backbone of the CFS Forum is the concept of friendship and fellowshipping - not arguing, debating, yelling and the resulting anger.

We welcome your participation here.

Servant68 I feel compelled to reply to this post because of where I fall in regards to your frustration.

I grew up in an urban area in a Catholic school/church. The first things that struck me as I was growing in my understanding of my faith and the world was how conservative moralist professing Christians were very unloving to the poor and the sinners. I saw racism, moral superiority, and shame come from the church, and I saw the effects it had on the community around me. I saw performative morality as a thin mask people wore to cover their sinful hearts and lives. This *rift* along with my own personal nature is what led me to take up a more liberal world view in light of where I saw Christians falling short of the Gospel of Christ.

I say this as a person who is at war with my nature. I know that the true nature of Christ is both radically liberal and radically conservative, if we are putting him in human categories. We are called to hate sin and love others. Some sins are more likely to be accepted by people who are subscribing to a liberal worldview: sexual immorality, murder (in the form of abortion), revelry, unclean language, dissension. Some sins are more likely to be accepted by people who are subscribing to a conservative worldview: pride, violence, oppression, greed, racism. As I've grown in The Lord, my eyes have been opened to the liberal biases of my my own heart. I am (rightly) outraged by the sins in the conservative list, but (wrongly) not enough by those in the liberal list. I am also (wrongly) too quick to judge those committing the people whbo are struggling with the conservative sins, and (rightly) compassionate and driven to preach the gospel in love to those struggling with the liberal sins.

I know I can not overcome these personal biases without the power of the Holy Spirit. In John 17: 20-21, Jesus prays for us and chooses this exact topic as the heart of his prayer: "My prayer is not for them alone, I pray for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be in one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." Jesus knew that unity among believers was absolutely crucial for others to believe his message. He also knew that only through unity with him in the spirit of God would this be possible.

Hello, Servant68;

I read your thread and the other's posts here. This is a very serious concern. Here at Christian Forum Site our brothers and sisters hear you and so do I. On a strengthening note there are still millions of Christians and in your backyard who live the character and integrity of Christ that you long for. These same folks also coexist with the world, applying the moral fiber that the scriptures teach us.

I'm encouraging you to prayerfully go to your pastor. He will appreciate hearing from you. I have preached to my church family that Pastors have a responsibility to recognize God's sheep. Tell him your concerns and allow him to minister to you. He has a responsibility to disciple you and by opening up to him you both can pray for God's intervention on the principalities of darkness that may exist in your church and any Christian website you visit.

Jesus says, "he who has ears let him hear" 8 times in the Gospels and a variation of 7 times in Revelation. The Lord knew many Christians and unreached people's doctrines and opinions were were already made up, yet they did not uplift others but instead, discouraged those who were seeking a relationship with Jesus.

So where do you find such Christians that also want a day to day serious relationship with our Lord and Savior? We start with ourselves. Jesus teaches us to let your light shine before others so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven - Matthew 5:16 ESV

Peter, was a great example of denying Jesus 3 times. I believe this behavior goes beyond anything you and I experience on Christian websites or our home church. Yet, instead of Jesus "firing" Peter, the lord forgave his servant and then commanded him to build His church. Peter does go forward in his called ministry, and then teaches us the lesson he learned from Jesus,

12 Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation - 1 Peter 2:12 ESV

Though we may be persecuted, we still have a command from God, to share the Gospel and serve to the unreached.

Church is to be a gathering where we worship God's agendas. We all can set the example and in doing so one feels loved, welcomed and safe. Our goal for God's mission assigned to each of us should exclude preoccupations including the petty quarrels that keep us from the occupation of God's mission. When we and our churches lose focus on the most important thing in our lives, then we lose sight of who we exist for.

The same thing goes for any Christian websites. I praise God each day that the website that I fellowship with, Christian Forum Site, reaches the whole world for Christ. When I log off I feel fed, loved and safe from my brothers and sisters here. There are times when I will be corrected. My brothers and sisters are consistent with scriptures, therefore, I am blessed because Jesus wants us all to learn, be lifted up and encouraged from our lessons so we can grow for the Kingdom.

Servant68, I hope this will help you and we all will continue to pray for your situation. We can all relate but lets not limit God who can overcome with His Good.

God bless you and your family.

It is common for people to be dissatisfied with political parties and for them to be upset with politicians.

Jesus taught:
Matthew 7:3-5 (WEB)
3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but don’t consider the beam that is in your own eye? 4 Or how will you tell your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye;’ and behold, the beam is in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye.

What happened at Las Vegas this year has people upset. Australia was able to stop mass shootings through stricter gun control: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...top_mass_shootings_in_australia_probably.html

I used to own a gun, but sold it to a dealer after moving to a low crime area. People who own guns are more likely to die of gunshot wounds. Twice as many people die of gun related suicides than die of gun related homicides.

My dad had a retired military officer friend who was arrested for having guns in his car in a state where he did not know the gun transportation laws. He was arguing with his ex-wife, then she called the police. They found he was transporting guns illegally. He had to get a lawyer as transporting guns illegally was considered a worse offense than arguing with his ex-wife.

Remember Jesus told Peter to put his sword back in its place, "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26: 47-55

Praying for you brother.

Blessings

I understand how you feel and I, too, have felt persecuted by others who say they are Christians. These people were also family (in-laws). Truth is they said they were Christians, but they did not walk in Christ and did not seem to be led by the Holy Spirit. It did discourage me for a long time. Then I realized it wasn't about me so I just let it all go.

This kind of behavior from people who say they know God hurts my heart for them.

I understand how you feel and I, too, have felt persecuted by others who say they are Christians. These people were also family (in-laws). Truth is they said they were Christians, but they did not walk in Christ and did not seem to be led by the Holy Spirit. It did discourage me for a long time. Then I realized it wasn't about me so I just let it all go.

This kind of behavior from people who say they know God hurts my heart for them.
All who follow Christ are being sanctified by the power of the Spirit. Unfortunately that means there's a lot of falling short that happens in the meantime.

What you said is very wise, it's not about you. That's a really hard stance to take when you're feeling attacked by people who you expect to lift you up. In those moments, we must examine our own hearts first, what ideas we're clinging to that might lack wisdom. Then we must extend love and forgiveness to our brothers and sisters who we're in conflict with, with every attempt at reconciliation through the truth and wisdom in the Gospel that none of us have fully understood until we are made perfect in the last day.

All who follow Christ are being sanctified by the power of the Spirit. Unfortunately that means there's a lot of falling short that happens in the meantime.

What you said is very wise, it's not about you. That's a really hard stance to take when you're feeling attacked by people who you expect to lift you up. In those moments, we must examine our own hearts first, what ideas we're clinging to that might lack wisdom. Then we must extend love and forgiveness to our brothers and sisters who we're in conflict with, with every attempt at reconciliation through the truth and wisdom in the Gospel that none of us have fully understood until we are made perfect in the last day.

It's not easy when you are in the line of fire. It hurts, but I have to continuously know it's not about me.
They are no longer in my life, but I still hurt for them. They are missing out on knowing a great God in an intimate way. Instead they know his name, but lack that intimate relationship with him......

It's not easy when you are in the line of fire. It hurts, but I have to continuously know it's not about me.
They are no longer in my life, but I still hurt for them. They are missing out on knowing a great God in an intimate way. Instead they know his name, but lack that intimate relationship with him......
I think that's a perfectly wise thing to do. You can continue to love them through prayer. Only God can change hearts.

Left wing and right wing have totally become confused it used to be quite clear what side was which but since God is above all earthly kingdoms we need to set our eyes above not what happens in the world.

Owning guns and such could be quite acceptable in the country perhaps you need to kill beasts or for food but in the city you would fear for your life if everyone owned one. Just as an example.

I had a friend who knew a family members that were shot and killed by someone in the country shooting anyone who was setting foot on their property. We thought that was crazy. If I did that in the suburbs I would be in jail but it seems ok for country people to excuse themselves and do it. People arent animals though! Thats the thing...

You would hope the people that own guns dont shoot other people but sadly they do. Just cos they can.

Maybe people that own guns now are thoroughly aware of what they can do and are careful such as yourself but many people are not and are foolish and go on rampages. But this is in ameirica that has in their legislation rights to bear arms and people there like to insist on their rights I suppose. Even if to the detriment of everyone else.

I thank God we dont have that problem here in nz, we may have other problems, but not that one. If i owned a gun and Jesus told me I must give it up then I would obey Him in a heartbeat. Our weapons of warfare are not carnal anyway.

my dear friend - this is an issue that boggled my mind too until i talked with liberal christians and found out they do not believe the bible is God's word - they believe the bible is man writing down his ideas about God

for those of us who take God at His word - whatever the bible says we know we must do

for those who disbelieve the bible - they become their own god - yet claim to believe in the God of the bible

any man who is his own god does not know the one true and living God - and is in a very dangerous place - he can misinterpret God's scipture instructions with ease beause to him the bible is extremely fallible

for this reason imo it's best to discuss scripture with conservative christians - and it is best to frequent forums with conservative christian administrators - liberal christian administrators create a liberal christian site which does exactly what you describe - it ruins people's faith

praying for you my dear friend

I grew up in a large town (Riverside, California) in the '60s. If you know anything about those times and particularly that region, you can understand that I had quite a different base to start from. I still have a left of center political view, but that does not mean that I don't have a Christ-centered faith.

Through my life, I have usually found myself in congregations that are politically different from me. That does not seem to hinder finding fellowship and service opportunities there.

We should still be able to fellowship. We each should still be able to consider the viewpoint of the other as a brother.

There is a tendency to make the following kind of reasoning:

I am a Christian and the Holy Spirit tells me that the meaning of scripture is thus
So any other reading is not Christian.

I am a Christian and my faith is best reflected politically thus
So any person who is politically aligned differently is not a Christian

These are false and very dangerous. They do not allow God His place as being the standard of TRUTH, but make each persons thoughts the standard.

In the book, The Mark of the Christian by Francis Schaeffer, who was a very conservative Christian writer wrote that we should treat all believers with respect and although we are called to witness to the truth as the spirit has revealed it to each of us, we must treat other Christians, particularly those with a different understanding with Love; A greater love or, at least a separate, special love. This love is beyond the love your neighbor command that was always God's commandment to His people.

The key verses Dr Schaeffer is commenting on is John 13:34-35

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

His thesis in the book was that if we do not treat our spiritual brothers who see His world and His Word in a different manner with special love, the world is justified in doubting everything we say about our Lord.

Upon his authority he gives the world the right to judge whether you and I are born-again Christians on the basis of our observable love toward all Christians.
Schaeffer, Francis A.. The Mark of the Christian (IVP Classics) (p. 22). InterVarsity Press. Kindle Edition.

This thread will be closed temporary as the O.P has not been back in over 3 months and do not want to overwhelm them with many replies.

The O.P may request the thread to be reopened so as to reply and it will be reopened at that time.

Thank You to everyone who has replied.
Blessings

FCJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back