So, Who Likes Disciple And Skillet?

Not a few professedly Christian songs have very repetitive lyrics, which are basically a variant of: Oh Oh Oh, I love you.

You sometimes don't know whether they are about God or one's gf.

Also, music can be a great leveller: in some ways this is good, but the blurring of doctrinal distinctives if they are Biblical, is not. This is why some of the tracks by groups such as Disciple are so effective.

Not a few professedly Christian songs have very repetitive lyrics, which are basically a variant of: Oh Oh Oh, I love you.

You sometimes don't know whether they are about God or one's gf.

Also, music can be a great leveller: in some ways this is good, but the blurring of doctrinal distinctives if they are Biblical, is not. This is why some of the tracks by groups such as Disciple are so effective.

Gotcha.

Major: I also think as regards local church services, if a congregation really isn't accustomed to modern and different music styles, it's not really right for a small minority of young people to push for them strongly. It's not a matter of right or wrong, really, but more a matter of courtesy.

Blessings.

Hey farouk,

Skillet was really important to me when I was a teenager. I liked how they released Bible studies along with their music, and some of the ideas in their music led to profound revelations for me that taught me important truths that are now central to how I live as a Christian.

You have been more faithful than the morning sun,
You have have been more faithful than knowing night will come,
You have been more faithful than the changing of seasons.

When I was a young man in university studying philosophy and literary criticism, that line above was so important for me. I remember my philosophy prof, getting us to understand some concepts in philosophy, asked the class, "How do you know the sun will rise tomorrow?" And besides having experienced it daily, there is no way of knowing. We believe, because of previous experience, but we don't know. Without getting into to many details, this is an important problem in philosophy. When he said that, that line from the Skillet song "More Faithful" came to mind, that God had been more faithful to me than even the morning sun. That was a very important moment for me, a turning point.

Thanks for the post.

Also, regarding the discussion of musical styles that may or may not be inherently "worldly," unless you listen to only gregorian chant, you're listening to something that at some time, someone considered to be worldly. Even hymns. Even bluegrass/gospel. All musical styles (except, arguably, gregorian chant, and even that has its roots in pagan music) were "worldly" pop music for someone at some point.

Also, some Christians living today teach than any instrumental accompaniment at all is inherently evil. I was given a lengthy and passionate lecture about it once :)

Major:

Only mine, too.

I was just thinking, a lot of cultural stuff that ppl have widely differing and sometimes strong views about is actually in the end subjective. Romans 14 isn't talking about the glorious fact that 'For ever O LORD Thy Word is settled in heaven', Psalm 119:89, for example. Like, for instance, I reckon that if we went back to rural local churches in Georgia or Mississippi in the 1920s, pretty well everyone there would dislike knee-length skirts and Brooks haircuts and jazz, but go today there are probably very conservative, godly people there who that are fairly comfortable with all those things.

Blessings.

Agreed.

My opinions come from my observations while in different churches over the years. I noticed a long time ago that when the contemporary style of music was played in churches, hands waved, people stood and repeated the same words over and over again. As I watched with a purpose, a great many people stopped and sat down. They were no longer worshipping but the singing of that particular song went on and on. That seems to ME to be a problem in that the practice almost mimics "chanting".

I am well aware that some will disagree with me on this, and that is OK and even expected, but As one who has spent many years in the study of cults, my observations caused concern to me. It seemed to be doing one of two things.

1. Dividing the congregation.
2. Trying to desensitize the people in attendance.

Some will say big deal. Some will say that the church is reaching out to the young. Well there is another side to that IMO.

I believe it is greatly to the detriment of the younger generation not to be exposed to the prayerful and theology packed hymns of bygone years. After all, they have been passed down by our forefathers for tens of generations for a very important reason; because they are prayerful and theology packed!

Anyway, as I said...........It is just my opinion my brother!

I am I guess a product of my own teaching in that I tend to look deeper into things which affect us.

Major: Actually I agree that if a congregation isn't accustomed to music in what seems a more modern style, then out of respect a minority shouldn't try to force it on the others.

Yes, I also agree about repetition being empty sometimes; I think I made a similar point above to LysanderShapiro.

So we probably do agree about this quite a bit. I do ultimately struggle about where one draws a subjective/objective, right/wrong line when it comes to something like music style, though.

Blessings.

A little too much screaming of the lyrics. :X3:

Sparrow: Yes, well okay, not everyone's preference, but then it's supposed to sound like a throaty roar. Done in a controlled way and deliberately it can sound quite effective. (I know this is subjective, of course.) You don't really like it, then?

Blessings.

Sparrow: Yes, well okay, not everyone's preference, but then it's supposed to sound like a throaty roar. Done in a controlled way and deliberately it can sound quite effective. (I know this is subjective, of course.) You don't really like it, then?

Blessings.

(smiling and giggling) Nah....:p

Wish I could see signature lines. Any ideas anyone?

My wife and I listen to Skillet quite a bit actually. They are definitely one of my favorite Contemporary Christian Bands next to Casting Crowns. Plus I have always liked that style of music.

I get bored listening to old hymns. Always did.

My wife and I listen to Skillet quite a bit actually. They are definitely one of my favorite Contemporary Christian Bands next to Casting Crowns. Plus I have always liked that style of music.

I get bored listening to old hymns. Always did.

naomanos:

How about Disciple also? I think some of their Biblically based lyrics presented in hard rock are outstanding, and communicate very well.

Blessings.

I may have heard something from them, but if you ask me to name a song by them I would look at you absent mindlessly. I learned of Skillet through my wife who played their music before I knew who they were.

I may have heard something from them, but if you ask me to name a song by them I would look at you absent mindlessly. I learned of Skillet through my wife who played their music before I knew who they were.

naomanos:

I see, so it's your wife that was first of all the Christian hard rock woman, and who then introduced you to it more.

Disciple have a track called 'Battle Lines' which is great. I think it's from an albom called Handgrenades and Pomegranates.

Blessings.

naomanos:

I see, so it's your wife that was first of all the Christian hard rock woman, and who then introduced you to it more.

Disciple have a track called 'Battle Lines' which is great. I think it's from an albom called Handgrenades and Pomegranates.

Blessings.

I guess you could say that about my wife.

I wasn't a Christian when I met my wife, but she was. I was raised Catholic (my whole family save for me is Catholic, but then again my mom's side of the family is Italian and it's a given that they will be Catholic), but not to the degree that one could call themselves Christian. I went through the sacraments until I was confirmed, and shortly there after in my early teen years I rebelled and only step foot in the church on the odd Christmas and for a funeral or two. I was a mix of believing that there was a God and not believing. I lived with several girls, and one that I had a ten year relationship with where we had 5 kids, but that relationship ended in 2008.

When that relationship ended in August of 2008 I had the choice of living on the street or moving 1200 miles away to live under my parent's roof in Florida. I was 34 at the time. I decided to live under my parent's roof. Then in May of 2009 I met my Christian wife, who through showing me the love of Christ, opened my eyes to Christianity and the love of our Savior. In between meeting her and becoming a Christian, she played lots of music, including Christian contemporary of which we know Skillet is part of.

I figured I would give the whole story of how I came to like Skillet.

I guess you could say that about my wife.

I wasn't a Christian when I met my wife, but she was. I was raised Catholic (my whole family save for me is Catholic, but then again my mom's side of the family is Italian and it's a given that they will be Catholic), but not to the degree that one could call themselves Christian. I went through the sacraments until I was confirmed, and shortly there after in my early teen years I rebelled and only step foot in the church on the odd Christmas and for a funeral or two. I was a mix of believing that there was a God and not believing. I lived with several girls, and one that I had a ten year relationship with where we had 5 kids, but that relationship ended in 2008.

When that relationship ended in August of 2008 I had the choice of living on the street or moving 1200 miles away to live under my parent's roof in Florida. I was 34 at the time. I decided to live under my parent's roof. Then in May of 2009 I met my Christian wife, who through showing me the love of Christ, opened my eyes to Christianity and the love of our Savior. In between meeting her and becoming a Christian, she played lots of music, including Christian contemporary of which we know Skillet is part of.

I figured I would give the whole story of how I came to like Skillet.

naomanos:

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like the Lord used her to turn you right around. With a lot of Christian hard rock in the background as well.

Blessings.

Back