Something I dont understand...

Something I dont understand...

What exactly do you think Jesus meant when he said this...

Matthew 7:22- Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name have done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23- And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you, depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Perhaps if we look at the same text as presented in The New Living Translation, it might shed a little light on the KJV text...

Christ is describing the TRUE Disciples in this chapter, so we have to go back to verse 21 to rightly pick up the subject of the entire chapter:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True Disciples

21 "Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as `Lord,' but they still won't enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven. 22 On judgment day many will tell me, `Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.' 23 But I will reply, `I never knew you. Go away; the things you did were unauthorized."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty straight forward and a bit easier to take in if presented in a language form that we, in the modern day, can relate to. But always remember to take an entire chapter as a teaching and concept, not just select verses. The subject must be brought forth from previous verses within the chapter so you will understand what is being discussed in the entire chapter.

Hi ..

What exactly do you think Jesus meant when he said this...

Matthew 7:22- Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name have done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23- And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you, depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

We are living in a difficult world in terms of well esteemable causes, rather those who really are Christ's followers can be mixed up in judgment of the world to those not in agreement with the true Divine Will being of God alone according to the word of man .. Many that say they are of faith can deny proper mannerism and such is obedience to God's word alone or else to put up a new creation and a new significance within oneself of being witnesses of Christ and favoring witness all the very way .. As a creature in Christ one's walk is forward and so there is success in spirit in the molding of the self over time, that day by day one takes on rich acknowledgment of heart to devout to supporting wellness in very same interest God prefers of all ..

(Do this in remembrance of me, said Jesus Christ in the last supper)

Perhaps if we look at the same text as presented in The New Living Translation, it might shed a little light on the KJV text...

Christ is describing the TRUE Disciples in this chapter, so we have to go back to verse 21 to rightly pick up the subject of the entire chapter:

True Disciples

21 "Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as `Lord,' but they still won't enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven. 22 On judgment day many will tell me, `Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.' 23 But I will reply, `I never knew you. Go away; the things you did were unauthorized."

This is pretty straight forward and a bit easier to take in if presented in a language form that we, in the modern day, can relate to. But always remember to take an entire chapter as a teaching and concept, not just select verses. The subject must be brought forth from previous verses within the chapter so you will understand what is being discussed in the entire chapter.

That was a great explanation (hopefully I'll get a chance to check out the NLT someday) Pastor Gary, and great advice as well. I see why you're a Pastor.:)

The Amplied Bible says it this way:Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name? vs. 23 And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].

Also in Luke 13:27 AMP(which I believe is a parable of Matt. 7:22 & 23); "But He will say, I tell you, I do not know where [what household---certainly not Mine]you come from; depart from Me, all you wrongdoers!

Sheba

I always see it that you must have a personal relationship with Jesus. That is to know Him. Jesus said in John that His sheep will know His voice.

Just that many do hurtful things, rather the doctrine of the word of God is for all in the consultive motive of all things ..

Acknowledgments onto you ..

Back