Something I was wondering

I was curious as to what various commentaries had to say on this subject of Judas' repentance, so I looked up Matthew 27:3 on Biblehub.com. I learned something I did not know before. The Greek word translated "repented" here is not the same word for "repent" when speaking of turning away from sin. Anyway, I copied some of what these various commentators said, because I wanted to know what they believed was meant by Judas' repentance. So, here is what they said in case anyone is interested. FYI: I don't know the theological bent of any of these commentators, but I think they are not all the same.

Ellicott’s Commentary on Matthew 27:3:

Repented himself.—The Greek word is not that commonly used for “repentance,” as involving a change of mind and heart, but is rather “regret,” a simple change of feeling. The coins which he had once gazed on and clutched at eagerly were now hateful in his sight, and their touch like that of molten metal from the furnace. He must get rid of them somehow. There is something terribly suggestive in the fact that here there were no tears as there had been in Peter’s repentance.

3338 metaméllomai (from 3326 /metá, "change after being with," and 3199 /mélō, "care, be concerned with") – properly, to experience a change of concern after a change of emotion and usually implying to regret, i.e. falling into emotional remorse afterwards (note the force of 3326 /metá).

Pulpit Commentary on Matthew 27:3:

Repented himself (μεταμεληθείς). This word (differing from μετανοέω, which expresses change of heart) denotes only a change of feeling, a desire that what has been done could be undone; this is not repentance in the Scripture sense; it springs not from love of God, it has not that character which calls for pardon.

Barnes’ notes on Matthew 27:3:

Then Judas, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself - This shows that Judas did not suppose that the affair would have resulted in this calamitous manner. He probably expected that Jesus would work a miracle to deliver himself, and not suffer this condemnation to come upon him. When he saw him taken, bound, tried, and condemned - when he saw that all probability that he would deliver himself was taken away - he was overwhelmed with disappointment, sorrow, and remorse. The word rendered "repented himself," it has been observed, does not of necessity denote a change "for the better," but "any" change of views and feelings. Here it evidently means no other change than that produced by the horrors of a guilty conscience, and by deep remorse for crime at its unexpected results. It was not saving repentance. That leads to a holy life this led to an increase of crime in his own death. True repentance leads the sinner to the Saviour. This led away from the Saviour to the gallows. Judas, if he had been a true penitent, would have come then to Jesus; would have confessed his crime at his feet, and sought for pardon there. But, overwhelmed with remorse and the conviction of vast guilt, he was not willing to come into his presence, and added to the crime of treason that of self-murder. Assuredly such a man could not be a true penitent.

Jamieson-Faussett-Brown Commentary on Matthew 27:3:

Repented himself—but, as the issue too sadly showed, it was "the sorrow of the world, which worketh death" (2Co 7:10).

Gil’s Exposition of Matthew 27:3:

repented himself: not for the sin, as committed against God and Christ; but as it brought a load of present guilt and horror upon his mind, and exposed him to everlasting punishment: it was not such a repentance by which he became wiser and better; but an excruciating, tormenting pain in his mind, by which he became worse; therefore a different word is here used than what commonly is for true repentance: it was not a godly sorrow for sin, or a sorrow for sin, as committed against God, which works repentance to salvation not to be repented of; but a worldly sorrow, which issues in death, as it did in him. It did not spring from the love of God, as evangelical repentance does, nor proceed in the fear of God, and his goodness; but was no other than a foretaste of that worm that dieth not, and of that fire which cannot be quenched: it was destitute of faith in Christ; he never did believe in him as the rest of the disciples did; see John 6:64, and that mourning which does not arise from looking to Jesus, or is not attended with faith in him, is never genuine.

Source: http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/27-3.htm
I see, thanks for the details..

Yes I look at them all.... They still mean the same thing.
Then be blessed in your thinking. I would encourage for you to commit this subject to prayer and ask the Holy Spirit for the truth. Don't just go off of what you have been taught...seek the Holy Spirit on this. Because if your wrong then, it will continue to cloud your thinking on a lot of different issues.

Blessings

Then be blessed in your thinking. I would encourage for you to commit this subject to prayer and ask the Holy Spirit for the truth. Don't just go off of what you have been taught...seek the Holy Spirit on this. Because if your wrong then, it will continue to cloud your thinking on a lot of different issues.

Blessings
I understand what youre saying but i dont know how it could get any clearer.

I understand what youre saying but i dont know how it could get any clearer.
In my opinion Your looking at this with a closed mind. One that is already made up on what you think. It seems to me like it would be good to have a better understanding of God's character. If you had that then you would realize that God giving satan permission to torment someone or kill someone's children, or destroy someone's things, or life just to test them, is contrary or opposite of God's character.

That's why I'm asking you to commit this to prayer. Will be praying for you to be blessed in every way possible :)

Last edited:
God is only in complete control in Heaven (Matthew 5:10). The earth has He given to men Ps 115:16....
So if God has given the earth and dominion of it to men...and people just sit around waiting in God, when the earth, our bodies and God are waiting on us....then nothing gets done and the devil just runs free inflicting judgement upon all God's people and God's people blame God, because they are expecting Him to do what He told them to do.

When job was attacked by the devil....God did not give him permission...job gave him permission by worrying and not putting his faith and trust in God. God told.the devil that job was already in his hands...meaning job opened the door to allowing the devil to sift him, and bring destruction upon him and his household.

God is alpha and omega...which means beginning and end. He is all knowing, but when He decided to give the earth to men...He also chose to trust men to take care of things, and to do those things that He gave them to do. God told man to be fruitful and multiply...that was not just about having kids. It was about filling the earth with His goodness, and making it like the garden of eden. However when Adam gave his alegiance to the devil, by listening to him instead of God....the curse came and messed every thing up. God had to send His Son to buy it all back...

I disagree with you on both your assessment of God's control and sovereignty over all things, and your assessment on the story of Job and God giving Satan permission to touch Job's possessions and his household. I believe the passage, in context, is quite clear, with regard to the story of Job.

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.” And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

God declared Job to be blameless and upright, a man who fears God and who turns away from evil, and that there was no one like him on the earth. This is not the same description you give of a man who was a worrier and who did not put his trust in God. Job did not open the door to allow Satan to sift him. There was no one like Job on the earth. No one more blameless and upright. And, it was God who presented Job to Satan as a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil. He knew how Satan was going to respond, too. Satan's response shows that he knew that God was in control and that Satan could not touch Job because God had put a hedge around him. And, God's response back to Satan also shows that God was absolutely in control, and that he was letting Satan know what he could and could not do, i.e. he was setting limits on Satan and what he could do. And, when Satan did touch Job's household and his property, this was Job's response:

Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.

Now, this does not sound at all like a man who invited Satan to test him because he was a worrier and did not trust in God.

I doubt that God would describe many of us with the description he gave of his servant Job, and I doubt that many of us would respond to the news brought to Job concerning all his property and family with such grace and trust in God. Job was an honorable man and there was none like him. He had a strong faith in God that was above all others. As the testing got more severe, though, he did begin to complain, and he questioned the sovereignty of God, and it was apparent, from what I can recall, that he had some issues with pride, but God used this in his life to cleanse him of those things, I believe.

Now, regarding the sovereignty of God and him being in control now over all things, please consider the following:

Our God and Lord Jesus Christ is far above all rule and authority, power and dominion. God the Father has placed all things under Jesus’ feet. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. In everything he has the supremacy. Amen! He is the ruler of God’s creation; the head over every power and authority; and all angels, authorities and powers are in submission to him. Praise God! [See: Eph. 1:15-23; Col. 1:15-20; Rev. 3:14; Col. 2:9-10; & 1 Pet. 3:21-22.] In that we can rest secure, knowing that God rules supreme over all.

I disagree with you on both your assessment of God's control and sovereignty over all things, and your assessment on the story of Job and God giving Satan permission to touch Job's possessions and his household. I believe the passage, in context, is quite clear, with regard to the story of Job.

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.” And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

God declared Job to be blameless and upright, a man who fears God and who turns away from evil, and that there was no one like him on the earth. This is not the same description you give of a man who was a worrier and who did not put his trust in God. Job did not open the door to allow Satan to sift him. There was no one like Job on the earth. No one more blameless and upright. And, it was God who presented Job to Satan as a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil. He knew how Satan was going to respond, too. Satan's response shows that he knew that God was in control and that Satan could not touch Job because God had put a hedge around him. And, God's response back to Satan also shows that God was absolutely in control, and that he was letting Satan know what he could and could not do, i.e. he was setting limits on Satan and what he could do. And, when Satan did touch Job's household and his property, this was Job's response:

Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Now, this does not sound at all like a man who invited Satan to test him because he was a worrier and did not trust in God.

I doubt that God would describe many of us with the description he gave of his servant Job, and I doubt that many of us would respond to the news brought to Job concerning all his property and family with such grace and trust in God. Job was an honorable man and there was none like him. He had a strong faith in God that was above all others. As the testing got more severe, though, he did begin to complain, and he questioned the sovereignty of God, and it was apparent, from what I can recall, that he had some issues with pride, but God used this in his life to cleanse him of those things, I believe.

Now, regarding the sovereignty of God and him being in control now over all things, please consider the following:

Our God and Lord Jesus Christ is far above all rule and authority, power and dominion. God the Father has placed all things under Jesus’ feet. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. In everything he has the supremacy. Amen! He is the ruler of God’s creation; the head over every power and authority; and all angels, authorities and powers are in submission to him. Praise God! [See: Eph. 1:15-23; Col. 1:15-20; Rev. 3:14; Col. 2:9-10; & 1 Pet. 3:21-22.] In that we can rest secure, knowing that God rules supreme over all.

Is there crime or sickness in Heaven?
No because God is in complete control.

Is there sickness and evil here? Yes that is because God at this time is not in control of everything on this earth.

God has given control of certain things on this earth and they will stay that way until the lease with man is up.

About job......

Hi,
Something to remember.
Job was not different in life then we are as far as attitude and emotions and actions.

We can allow thoughts to take control of our entire being and thus driving us to do things.

Job said in 3:25-26
25For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. 26I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.

Look at verse 25
What he feared and was afraid of.
This shows us that he gave into thoughts the enemy sent him.

This means he has now turned from trusting God and acting on it unto trusting fear and worry more.

This always places us out side of God's protection and gives the devil right to come in and steal kill and destroy.

Now look at verse 26
Had no rest
Was not in safety
Was not Quiet

Not quiet.....fretting and speaking his now obtained fear and worry.

Had no rest........probably up all night fretting and worrying And Without Peace. Nerves shot or on edge.

No Safety. ....stepped out side of Thee Blessing Of God.

Now if he would have said No to those thoughts and trusted God and spoke Faith Filled Words Fully Trusting God over his children.

See he should have grasped that he taught his kids well and instead of worrying simply went to where they were had some fun and talked about the things of God.

satan would not have had an open door.

When God said BeholdAnd the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.

Behold means look around or pay attention. God could not lie. So He told the truth......job had already opened up that door But you will Not take his life.

Think about this and compare it to life now.......it's not changed.
Stay in faith or stead fast we are operating in Grace

Trade Faith and Trust for fear, worry and doubt, you then step outside of that Grace and satan has free right.

Fight the good fight of faith means just that.......one must fight or get trampled on.

If you do not have a true understanding of the power of words and fear and worry and doubt then you won't get this.
Blessings
FCJ

Hi Sue,

Of course you have every right to believe the way you want. But just because God says that there is none like job and that he was blameless....does not mean that he was not also a worrier. As the Word says...job admitted he was a worrier job 1:5b; 3:25-26,

And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand.
let me ask you a question..... wouldn't it be contrary to God's character to praise someone and then turn around and curse him. Killing his children and servants and causing his livestock to be stolen?

I doubt that God would describe many of us with the description he gave of his servant Job,
God says this about us because of the Blood of Jesus that covers us. Jesus took all of our iniquity and sins and crucified them on the cross and gave us His righteousness. Jobs situation was prior to the cross, but still because he never cursed God and obeyed God in many ways...he was found blameless.

Deu 30:19 — Deu 30:20
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Blessings

I agree with all the scripture you have quoted about Jesus. However in all that you have quoted here i do not see where it says Jesus is in complete control of everything (every minute detail) that goes on in all the earth. As JPPT1974 said...God's ways always work. But when we choose to not follow those ways, there are consequences. Cause and effect. Sowing and reaping. Only by God's grace and mercy towards the repentant heart, do we not experience things that could have happened from our opening the door to the devil, by our disobedience to God's Word and ways.

Ps says...
Psalms 115:16

The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord's:
but the earth hath he given to the children of men.

And as God never changes, this does not change till man's time on earth is up. For this covenant goes way back to the garden of eden.

Blessings

Last edited:
autumn oddity .....
I just wanted to apologize to you publicly for anything that I said that you felt was harsh or offended you. It was never my intention, but your feelings are far more important than my intentions.

What you choose to believe is between you and God. And I was in no way trying to push my beliefs on you.

God bless you abundantly

God is in control. And His ways always work. According to being God of all Gods! God is all sovereign and perfect bear in mind.
This is true and yet He decided when He made this particular Covenant with man to keep it and honor it and this is true to His Covenant Nature.

I am talking about when He placed things in man's hands in this earth. This is a binding contract between God and man until God's set time.

He can't by His own words interfere with things here in this earth without being asked because He gave these things unto man for a set time period.

When you read in the Revelation of Jesus you find where this Covenant (contract, lease) runs out and God caries out the rest of His plan that He set forth in the beginning.

All of God's Promises to us are actually Covenant Promises and God Always backs these by all the Honor of His name.

However we still have our part in this to possess them. That's walking according to His ways, His Word.

People come up with this deal, well He allowed it so He must have His reason as if God throws the dice and says, well Joe smith snake eyes so your gonna lose your house and your wife gets cancer and your kids run off and become slaves to the devil. Hey Joe remember, you never know what God is going to do.

Thank God its simply not that way.
satan is god of this world or world system and it is he who brings this evil and not God. satan has deceived many into believing that it is God doing all this all the while hiding in the shadows doing his deeds.

If God is in total control of things in this earth, then it must be His will if we ate corn flakes or eggs for breakfast or if sever sickness comes upon you then we must suffer it out after all if it is God's will we would be sinning against God for seeing a doctor or taking a cold pill.
Thank God it is not that way.

Have a wonderfully blessed day
FCJ

Cturtle Fish Catcher Jim - Please read these words in Job 2:

Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the Lord. And the Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.” Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Skin for skin! All that a man has he will give for his life. But stretch out your hand and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse you to your face.” And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your hand; only spare his life.”

So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and struck Job with loathsome sores from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a piece of broken pottery with which to scrape himself while he sat in the ashes.

Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die.” But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that had come upon him, they came each from his own place, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. They made an appointment together to come to show him sympathy and comfort him. And when they saw him from a distance, they did not recognize him. And they raised their voices and wept, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads toward heaven. And they sat with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his suffering was very great.

There is not anything in the written Word in chapters 1 or 2 that would indicate that Job was a man who lacked faith in God or that he was a man given over to sinful thoughts or actions. Taking chapter 1 v. 5 as indicative that Job was worrying at that time is a stretch. It is conjecture, at best. What we know of Job at this point is that he is blameless before God, upright, godly, a man of integrity with a strong faith and trust in the Lord in all things. How many of us, if put to such a test, would come out shining like Job did? There is nothing in the written word in these two chapters that would indicate that Job brought all this upon himself, or that he did anything to invite this. He did not! Satan incited God against Job, it says. To say that Job invited this is just not founded in these two chapters. His response, up to this point, remained faithful to God, he held to his integrity, and he remained steadfast in his faith. He stands as a wonderful example to all of us to have such faith and integrity in all our trials and tribulations.

But, yes, Job was human as we are, and he had his breaking point after he sat for seven days in absolute misery. And, it was at this point that he was not at ease, and he was not at rest, because he had been sitting for seven days in utter pain and suffering. The fact that it took all of that he had already suffered before he uttered a word of complaint is absolutely amazing, and it shows the closeness of relationship he had with the Lord and why God said the things he said about him. So, again, he did nothing to bring all this upon him. Then, on top of all that, his friends turned against him, and they began to accuse him falsely and to accuse him of sinning against God.

But, then God spoke. He rebuked Job because he did not trust in God’s absolute sovereignty over Job’s life. It is clear from what God said to Job that God was letting him know that he (God) had absolute power over Job’s life. He asked Job if he would discredit God’s justice. Job finally answered God. He said, “I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.” Then, Job repented of his sin of questioning God’s sovereignty over his life in relation to all the suffering he had gone through.

Then, God addressed Job’s friends. He was angry with them. He told them that they had not spoken of God what is right as Job had. Yet God would accept Job’s prayer for these friends and would not deal with them according to their folly. The Lord then blessed Job again, and his family members comforted him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him (42:11).

autumn oddity .....
I just wanted to apologize to you publicly for anything that I said that you felt was harsh or offended you. It was never my intention, but your feelings are far more important than my intentions.

What you choose to believe is between you and God. And I was in no way trying to push my beliefs on you.

God bless you abundantly

Cturtle - I found what you said to autumn oddity offensive - "In my opinion Your looking at this with a closed mind. One that is already made up on what you think. It seems to me like it would be good to have a better understanding of God's character."

This, in my opinion, was not just you disagreeing with this individual, or you stating a belief that is different, but it appeared to me that you were attacking this person's character, and it seemed to me that you were saying that you were right and this other person was wrong, and not just wrong but closed minded, and that this individual, in order to be right, needed to believe what you believe.

I happen to believe that what autumn oddity has expressed concerning Job, and concerning the sovereignty of God, from what I recall of what this member has written on these two subjects, is in line with the teaching of scripture, as a whole, and with what is written in the book of Job, and which, I, too, have expressed here in writing. Yet, I know that not everyone here is going to believe the same as me.

I believe that you, as a moderator, must be careful that you don't use your position of authority here to force your beliefs on others, and to possibly infer that others are somehow not open-minded to the truth of God's Word just because they hold to a belief different from yours, unless, of course, they don't believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their lives.

Respectfully and lovingly submitted -

Sue Love

Back