Soul Sleep

Three questions..

(1.) Since Hades is the grave where believers/nonbelievers are left unconscious, how or why did Jesus preach to the imprisoned spirits in Hades. (1 Peter 3:18-20 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19After being made alive,d he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,)

(2.) Since only the spirit represents "the breath", in 1 Kings 17:22 why is soul translated breath in the NET Bible. (NET - The LORD answered Elijah's prayer; the boy's breath returned to him and he lived. http://biblehub.com/1_kings/17-22.htm

(3.) If soul sleep is truth, then why pen down 2 Cor 5:8 and Phil 1:21-23.

- ATP

Three questions..

(1.) Since Hades is the grave where believers/nonbelievers are left unconscious, how or why did Jesus preach to the imprisoned spirits in Hades. (1 Peter 3:18-20 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19After being made alive,d he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,)

(2.) Since only the spirit represents "the breath", in 1 Kings 17:22 why is soul translated breath in the NET Bible. (NET - The LORD answered Elijah's prayer; the boy's breath returned to him and he lived. http://biblehub.com/1_kings/17-22.htm

- ATP

I can't actually think of anyone that believes in "Soul Sleep" It was like a fad doctrine way back by a small group of confused folks.

I can't actually think of anyone that believes in "Soul Sleep" It was like a fad doctrine way back by a small group of confused folks.

My theory is this. I don't believe we are aware of anything after we die, I believe we are asleep in the Lord. I believe our spirit (breath) goes back to God after death, and then our spirit enters back into us at the first resurrection. What do you think.

My theory is this. I don't believe we are aware of anything after we die, I believe we are asleep in the Lord. I believe our spirit (breath) goes back to God after death, and then our spirit enters back into us at the first resurrection. What do you think.

The "WE" Paul talked about is our bodies. God actually owns our bodies and spirit.

We sleep, and Sleep just means dead, like Jesus used the term speaking about lazurath (Spelling) The disciples thought He meant He was actually asleep, and why the rush, but then Jesus said... He is dead.

Jesus only talked faith. Said the same thing about Jarius Daughter and she was also dead.

1Co 15:38 kjva But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

So our body goes to the ground and God Ressurects that body and gives us our body back. (Greatly improved I hope, with no fat)

We are spirits, and have a soul.

2Co 5:2 kjva For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

The body is just liked Cloths, just flesh. We are in our body and I guess we wait for it at the Ressurection. Being sprits though, we don't sleep and are like the angels in heaven who are spirits. but children of God, not servants (Different class)

When praying the disciples started to fall asleep. they were tired and Jesus was about to go to the cross. Jesus said, the spirit is willing, but not the flesh.

So, we don't get tired, but our body does. Spirit don't need sleep.

Be blessed.

So, we don't get tired, but our body does. Spirit don't need sleep.

To say the dead are praising God in heaven in their spirits is not quite accurate. That's like saying their "breath" is up in heaven walking around praising God. That wouldn't make sense right? (John 3:13 KJV And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.)

To say the dead are praising God in heaven in their spirits is not quite accurate. That's like saying their "breath" is up in heaven walking around praising God. That wouldn't make sense right? (John 3:13 KJV And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.)

Consider Luke 2:13.........
"And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying....."

Then there is Revelation 4:8-11.............
"The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying:....“Holy, holy, holy, 'Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!”
Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying:
11 “You are worthy, O Lord,b]' To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”

NO, spirits are not dead, they are praising God, without the body until the ressurection when we all get our body and follow the Lord back to earth (Rev 19)

Where are you getting this idea that spirit means breath?

pneuma is an actual spirit being used for angels, devils the Holy Spirit. It's not just a breath. I am not sure why you keep saying that.
If Pneuma means breath then the Holy Spirit is just a breath and not doing anything. Angels are just breaths and not doing anything.

The Greek root is pneō Which means hard breeze, breath, wind.

pneuma was never translated one time breath, wind or anything else that would be wind, air current, breath.
Why are you translating it that way?

1Co 14:14 kjva For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Our new spirit can pray, It needs fed the Word of God. Without our spirit our body dies. We are spirits, not some breath.

No man has ascended to heaven until Jesus went to Hell and preached to the sprits........

1Pe 3:19-20 kjva 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Some of those spirits had been there since the time of Noah.

Mat 27:52-53 kjva 52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

It's possible they recived new bodies at this time. It just says the dead in Christ raise first, it does not give a time or gives that the dead must wait for the new body, it just says they get theirs first.

There is no such thing as "Soul Sleep"

Jesus answered the question when he silenced the Pharisees by saying, "God is not the God of the dead but of the living".

As for pneuma, its semantic range includes "wind, breath, spirit", so the particular meaning comes from context. And context isn't always as clear as we'd prefer. Even so, scripture does not teach "soul sleep".

Gen 2:7 - spirit breath + body = soul / the breath of life is from God
Eccl 12:7 - the breath of life is from God

I understand where the Greek carried over the understanding.

I said, the spirit of man is never translated Breath, wind, or anything else in Greek. Not once.

Rauch was used in Hebrew, such as the Spirit (Rauch) of the Lord, so were angels if not called servant in Hebrew.

It does not change the revelation the Greek gave us in the NT, and does not make the Holy Spirit some breath, or angel some breath.

Our spirit can pray, think.......... that is not a breath. Paul said that.

Pneuma was never translated Breath, wind or anything connected to air current.

I said, the spirit of man is never translated Breath, wind, or anything else in Greek. Not once.

But the only reason man has a spirit is because of God's breath breathed into us. In Greek the word spirit or breath is Pneuma and in the Hebrew there are two words, Neshamah and Ruach. Neshamah and Ruach both mean breath literally and spirit figuratively. There are slight nuances between these two words but both mean the same basic thing. The word Soul is a different word, Soul is Psuche in Greek and Nephesh in Hebrew.

I understand where the Greek carried over the understanding.

Rauch was used in Hebrew, such as the Spirit (Rauch) of the Lord, so were angels if not called servant in Hebrew.

It does not change the revelation the Greek gave us in the NT, and does not make the Holy Spirit some breath, or angel some breath.

Our spirit can pray, think.......... that is not a breath. Paul said that.

Pneuma was never translated Breath, wind or anything connected to air current.
The Holy Spirit certainly is a Person of the Trinity. But look at John 3:8, and you'll see that pneuma is used both for "wind" and "Spirit".

The Holy Spirit certainly is a Person of the Trinity. But look at John 3:8, and you'll see that pneuma is used both for "wind" and "Spirit".

That's a really good scripture and example. I've had three questions on my mind. Maybe you can help..

- ATP

Thank you for the correction. I missed ONE. Still connected to the Holy Spirit which is not some breath. However, the spirit of man is just not "Breath" it's a real being clothed in a flesh body.

The root of the word means wind.

Are you aware of your position right now sitting on the right hand of God in Christ? Have we not been delivered from the power of darkness and have been translated into the Kingdom of of His dear Son? You are in his Kingdom right now. Maybe we have forgotten where we are because we are so accustomed to using our physical senses as the only way of telling us where we are. Even when we were dead in our sins God raised us up, and has made us sit together in Heavenly places in Christ.
Why talk about "soul" sleep when we should be talking waking up from our sleep and rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on us?

Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Are you aware of your position right now sitting on the right hand of God in Christ? Have we not been delivered from the power of darkness and have been translated into the Kingdom of of His dear Son? You are in his Kingdom right now. Maybe we have forgotten where we are because we are so accustomed to using our physical senses as the only way of telling us where we are. Even when we were dead in our sins God raised us up, and has made us sit together in Heavenly places in Christ.
Why talk about "soul" sleep when we should be talking waking up from our sleep and rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on us?

Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
Eph 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Hi CCW. In John 3:8 pneuma is used both for wind and spirit. Eccl 12:7 says our spirit goes back to God who gave it. I don't think our wind would be praising God. That wouldn't really make sense. Our spirit enters our body again at the first resurrection. The first resurrection is when we will be conscious with God again.

Hi CCW. In John 3:8 pneuma is used both for wind and spirit. Eccl 12:7 says our spirit goes back to God who gave it. I don't think our wind would be praising God. That wouldn't really make sense. Our spirit enters our body again at the first resurrection. The first resurrection is when we will be conscious with God again.

I think you might be forgetting one thing, the soul of man. The soul of man is not his spirit, it is a separate part of man. The Word God tells us that man is spirit, soul, and body. Only the Word of God separate the two from each other.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

When a man dies his spirit goes back to God and is soul either goes to Heaven, or hell.

When a man dies his spirit goes back to God and is soul either goes to Heaven, or hell.

I agree, the soul and the spirit are separate, but what scripture says the soul goes to heaven or hell with consciousness to praise God.

I agree, the soul and the spirit are separate, but what scripture says the soul goes to heaven or hell with consciousness to praise God.

Act 2:27 kjva Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Eph 3:15 kjva Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Back