Spiritual Gifts

I did a search on here of Spiritual Gifts and came up with only one thread so I wanted to get some insight from you all.

I mentioned in the baptism thread that I feel a calling to spread Gods Word. I know that I am a baby Christian but there are times when I have been talking to atheists about God and I silently prayed and felt God interject and help me say things that I wouldn't have been able to. I feel such a strong calling, I can't begin to put it into words.

I've been hearing about "Spiritual Gifts" for a while now and decided to take a test. To my surprise, I got "Faith". This may come as a shock to some of you, as there have been many questions I've had about the Word. The second highest was Exhortation. Needless to say, I'm not sure how accurate these spiritual gifts test are, but the score I got in the area of Faith was the highest you could get.

I have thoroughly read Corinthians 12. I wonder, do you believe we all have spiritual gifts? Which gifts do you believe you posses? How can I use my spiritual gift if, in fact, it is correct?

Yes I am curious to these so-called "tests"? Are we talking about something from scripture or some hokey online check box thing? Be careful where your feet go Tink....

That being said-no gifts come from God without obedience to the Word. He doesn't require perfection-but He does require that you put Him first. Be careful Tink, don't get sucked into a cult or cult-ish behavior.

And I know this isn't 'PC', but if you examine the Word-you will see the roles we play as children of God-there are gender and relational specific roles outlined in God's Word.

Google Spiritual Gifts test or Spiritual Gifts. There was one given on the main site of the church I go to as well. This isn't a cult or cult like process. In fact, there are plenty of reputable sites that give out the free test that is based on scripture. I suppose I should have just focused on the fact that I feel a calling to spread his word. Spiritual Gifts, which I believe you all posses, may have struck a cord with some.

Dirty, care to elaborate on the gender specific rolls? I don't see anything in 1 Corinthians 12 that talk about gender. Perhaps in the other scriptures that discuss spiritual gifts, though.

Dirty, care to elaborate on the gender specific rolls? I don't see anything in 1 Corinthians 12 that talk about gender.

Certainly:

I am glad you are reaching for the stars; just keep in mind whom you serve-a Holy God not likened to the habits of mankind. I am no judge of those with spiritual gifts-I think we all long for them, but not all receive.

Mathew 19:1 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea beyond Jordan; 2 And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there.
3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? 4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. 10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry. 11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. 12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. 4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. 5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; 6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; 7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: 8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. 9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

1 Corinthians 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. 4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. 5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. 6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. 8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: 11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. 12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches. 18 Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. 20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. 21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather. 22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. 23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. 24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful. 26 I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be. 27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. 28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. 29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; 30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; 31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away. 32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife. 34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband. 35 And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.
36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry. 37 Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well. 38 So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.

39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

Summary:

If you are single and joined to God you are free to be at God's whole service. If you are married you are subject to the authority of your spouse: the husband being the 'head' of the household-being responsible and held accountable to God for the operation of the family unit including spiritual needs.

If you want to be effective and active daily in God's work-stay single or become a 'deacons' wife.

ALL Christians are commanded by the Lord to share the Gospel, you need to develop your ministry in the Word through a viable Bible believing fellowship in a Church. Maybe youth/teen groups or a bus ministry helper would be a good place for you start?

Summary:

If you are single and joined to God you are free to be at God's whole service. If you are married you are subject to the authority of your spouse: the husband being the 'head' of the household-being responsible and held accountable to God for the operation of the family unit including spiritual needs.

If you want to be effective and active daily in God's work-stay single or become a 'deacons' wife.

ALL Christians are commanded by the Lord to share the Gospel, you need to develop your ministry in the Word through a viable Bible believing fellowship in a Church. Maybe youth/teen groups or a bus ministry helper would be a good place for you start?

Thank you. I'm involved in a eating disorder ministry since last year. I know you two are coming from a good place and I hate to say this, but I'm feeling a little judgment. Now I might be entirely wrong, but it's what my gut is telling me. I fell it's because I'm not on your level and still have questions, but you know what? It doesn't always matter how much biblical knowledge you have. It's about what's in your heart. Sometimes all that matters is that you walk with Christ and show people that. Anyhow I'm retracting from this thread, but thank you.

Tink, you do have spiritual gifts. But rather than rely on what people say on forums, you need to have your gifts and callings confirmed by those in the Church/s you are fellowshipping with. They have the whole picture so to speak. The internet does not see any of us in true colour, only what we care to share and post. So don't be discouraged by what you think might be judgment.........it probably isn't.

Thank you. I'm involved in a eating disorder ministry since last year. I know you two are coming from a good place and I hate to say this, but I'm feeling a little judgment. Now I might be entirely wrong, but it's what my gut is telling me. I fell it's because I'm not on your level and still have questions, but you know what? It doesn't always matter how much biblical knowledge you have. It's about what's in your heart. Sometimes all that matters is that you walk with Christ and show people that. Anyhow I'm retracting from this thread, but thank you.

Before you run off; how do feel you are being judged?

Tink, you do have spiritual gifts. But rather than rely on what people say on forums, you need to have your gifts and callings confirmed by those in the Church/s you are fellowshipping with. They have the whole picture so to speak. The internet does not see any of us in true colour, only what we care to share and post. So don't be discouraged by what you think might be judgment.........it probably isn't.

OK, sorry...it has nothing to due with spiritual gifts per se, just that I feel zealous to share His Word and I guess I got the impression that I was taking on too much to handle... I know I'm just starting to read the bible again (as a true Christian and not a Jehovah's Witness) so I get it, but I really do want to share his Word. I thought the spiritual gifts test would help me figure out what I should do to serve Him. If I'm going to devote my life to His work, I want to know the best way how and that was the only thing I could think of.

OK, sorry...it has nothing to due with spiritual gifts per se, just that I feel zealous to share His Word and I guess I got the impression that I was taking on too much to handle... I know I'm just starting to read the bible again (as a true Christian and not a Jehovah's Witness) so I get it, but I really do want to share his Word. I thought the spiritual gifts test would help me figure out what I should do to serve Him. If I'm going to devote my life to His work, I want to know the best way how and that was the only thing I could think of.

That's a good thing Tink, but we cannot be ignorant of the Word either. Remember, the Bible also teaches that you will be held accountable for any false teaching. By all means, share the Gospel, stick to the "fundamentals" you know well until you are more confident in the Word. Do some soul winning with elders.

This is not a 'go it alone' adventure. Paul spent 3 years in study if I remember correctly after his salvation on the road to Damascus....

If you feel I have discouraged you in any way-my apologies. I try to back everything I post with scripture if necessary. Interpretations vary. I share with you in truth.

That's a good thing Tink, but we cannot be ignorant of the Word either. Remember, the Bible also teaches that you will be held accountable for any false teaching. By all means, share the Gospel, stick to the "fundamentals" you know well until you are more confident in the Word. Do some soul winning with elders.

This is not a 'go it alone' adventure. Paul spent 3 years in study if I remember correctly after his salvation on the road to Damascus....

If you feel i have discouraged you in any way-my apologies. I try to back everything I post with scripture if necessary. Interpretations vary.

Absolutely. I definitely wasn't thinking of doing this tomorrow. I meant going on a journey and studying the bible, and then sharing more of the gospel. For now, I am sharing what I feel comfortable with and if there is ever a question I don't have the answer to, I tell my friends that I will research it for them. I'm definitely not preaching about things I don't know!

Pride is a fickle thing, if you can maintain a 'teachable spirit' it is not judgement if it is the truth. 'Judgement' would be a condemnation-have I ever condemned you my friend? I have done far worse than you in my life...my desire is in helping others avoid the pain that I deal with daily because of my sin experience.

OK, let me clarify. I strike up conversations about God and I don't care who is against him. I feel a desire to share the gospel. The spiritual test was to help me figure out how I can be of service to Him. I am no where near sharing the gospel about things I don't know or am uncertain about. I wanted to start the journey.

OK, let me clarify. I strike up conversations about God and I don't care who is against him. I feel a desire to share the gospel. The spiritual test was to help me figure out how I can be of service to Him. I am no where near sharing the gospel about things I don't know or am uncertain about. I wanted to start the journey.

You already have...

When I say the "Gospel" it is the doctrine of Christ's gift of salvation-not any other doctrine.

Would I be able to become a professional figure skater overnight? Not at all. It would take years of practice. However, I would have to figure out what my strengths are as well before I dove in. Those strengths would help me through my years of learning.

Back