Spiritual Joy

Spiritual Joy

Spiritual Joy

Acts 16:16-34

Paul wrote extensively about spiritual joy, which had been tested and proven in his life through the “fires†of beatings, rejections, and arrests. As he sat in the Philippian jail, the apostle demonstrated what is possible for any surrendered believer: biblical joy through the indwelling Holy Spirit.
We can lose our gladness for several reasons:

1. Wrong focus.
Paul and Silas were able to praise God despite severe trials because they centered on Jesus. Concentrating on our difficulties will cause delight to disappear. Refocusing through praise will bring it back.

2. Disobedience.
Sin steals our joy because it separates us from the Lord. As we receive His forgiveness and obey Him, joy returns.

3. Regret. We crowd out gladness when we continue to feel bad about past mistakes and failures. Our Father wants us to believe that He forgives us (1 John 1:9). He also desires that we choose to live in His grace and move ahead.

4. Fear.
Too often we attempt to live out the future before it has happened. With so much outside our control, we become afraid. Joy and fear cannot coexist. The Lord calls us to live by faith, asking Him to meet today’s needs and trusting Him with the future.

5. Someone else’s suffering. How can we rejoice when others are hurting? Romans 12:15 says we are to weep with them, but we are also to offer the hope of God’s presence, power, and provision. A downcast spirit is a poor witness for hope (Psalm 42:11).
What excuse have you been using for your lack of joy? Fix your gaze on your Savior and let His joy become yours.

First, let us establish that it is scriptural to pray in the name of Jesus. Consider the following verses:
  • John 14:13 – And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
  • John 14:14 – If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
    [*]John 15:16 – Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
    [*]John 16:23 – And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
    [*]John 16:24 – Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
    [*]John 16:26 – At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you

This is one of my favorite verses:
Neh 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.

His joy= my strength, no joy= no strength

Thanks for that Pastor Rick.. I have been dealing with
3. Regret. We crowd out gladness when we continue to feel bad about past mistakes and failures. Our Father wants us to believe that He forgives us (1 John 1:9). He also desires that we choose to live in His grace and move ahead.

We do loose our joy by focusing on the past.Sometimes we can think that we have delt with it and it pops right back up ... full blown. Of course I recognize where it comes from and we have to in the name of Jesus defeat those thoughts. I thought I had moved forward only to realize that I had stepped backwards if you know what I mean. It is only by falling on my face and weeping and weeping and the Holy Spirit ministering to me that I am beginning to understand that God wants contol of my whole life and I was not submiting all to Him. I believe it is a process that the Lord is taking me through for a purpose that I don't yet know.

Back