Starting In The Ot Or Nt...

I am currently listening to Leviticus (I've been through the Bible a few times already) and was wondering; for a person interested in the Word of God, do you have them start in the NT or OT and why? When I first read God's Word, I started in the OT and sometimes wish I had started in the NT...thoughts?

I have mixed feelings about it. What I did with my sister is told her to put a book mark in Genesis and Matthew and whenever she got tired of one she could switch to the other for a while.

I started in Genesis and read straight through, but I will admit that I had a hard time in some parts of the Old Testament.

I guess I would tell them to read the New Testament first since that is where Salvation is. Also, the New Testament is more consistently interesting. I think I'm also depends on the person, but I think the New Testament is a good place to start a daily reading habit.

I believe it doesn't really matter. Just pray before reading, and the Holy Spirit will give a person understanding. It's all relevant.

There is a book called:
The Bible Jesus Read | - Philip Yancey

I liked it. It really shows how important the old testament is, check it out.

I don't think that the old testament is unimportant. I just got through the new testament again, minus revelation because I've read that book a lot, and started in the OT again beginning with Leviticus. I must say, even though I enjoy reading God's Word, Leviticus (just finished today) and Numbers (just started today) is like pulling teeth :( I may have to take that comment up with Jesus when I meet Him :confused:

I am currently listening to Leviticus (I've been through the Bible a few times already) and was wondering; for a person interested in the Word of God, do you have them start in the NT or OT and why? When I first read God's Word, I started in the OT and sometimes wish I had started in the NT...thoughts?
without understanding the gospel that Paul teaches the rest of the bible is veiled in large part...Romans is the place, not to just start reading, but a focused in depth study should begin.

Ga 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 ¶ For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

If any man preach another gospel than that which Paul preached...they are cursed...it best to understand the true gospel and then allow that to "unveil'' the rest of the scriptures.

1Co 2:1 ¶ And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
6 ¶ Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Ro 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

You better start with Paul and his epistles which bring the whole counsel of God together.

Back