Study!!!!

Who Is Blessed of God?

1. Those who Trust the Lord – (Jer. 17:7; Luke 11:27-28).
2. Those who Fear the Lord – (Ps. 128:1).
3. Those whose Sins are Forgiven – (Ps. 32:2-3; Rom. 4:8).
4. Those who are Not Offended by Christ – (Luke 7:23).
5. Those who Endure Temptation – (James 1:12).

Five Qualities of a Humble Man.

Read: James 4:9-17​
What is humility? James says, “Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up” (v.10). So, what is humility? How does it work in our lives? Does it make us extremely shy and timid? Does the humble person always give in to others? Is the practice of humility the equivalent of making yourself a rug others can step on? What is it and what is it not? This passage describes biblical humility. Consider the qualities of a humble man.
q First, the humble man submits to the will of God (v.7). This is the foundation of all other acts of true humility. Humility begins by giving God first place in our decisions, our action and our motivations.
q Second, the humble man repents of his sins (v.8) and mourns over his disobedience (v.9). We demonstrate pride when we are unwilling to admit and correct wrong in our lives. A humble man has a “broken and a contrite heart” (Psalm 51:17) in the sight of God.
q Third, the humble man refuses to speak evil of his brother in the Lord (v.11). He recognizes one lawgiver who is truly righteous and able to declare judgment on others (v.12). He leaves that judgment to God.
q Fourth, the humble man refuses to boast about what he is going to do (v.13-16). Rather, he says, “If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that” (v.15).
q Fifth, the humble man recognizes that his every failure to do good is sin (v.17) and therefore depends entirely on the Lord. He does not take pride in his holiness but understands how far short he falls.
Compare these qualities to your own life. How do you match up? Do you practice humility in these five ways? Choose ones that you need the most work on. Ask for God’s help in this area. Determine how you will practice this grace of humility today.

Five Qualities of a Humble Man

Where are you written?
Those who will not trust the Lord have neither salvation nor security and are written
in the earth.
Jer 17:13.
O LORD, the hope of Israel, All who forsake You shall be ashamed. "Those who depart from Me Shall be written in the earth, Because they have forsaken the LORD, The fountain of living waters."

Those who trust the Lord are written in Heaven.
Lk 10:20 "Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven."
In the Lamb's book of life
Rev 21:27. But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

When Our Lord wrote on the ground (Jn 8:6-8) was He perhaps referring to Jer 17:13.
Jn 6: 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have [something] of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with [His] finger, as though He did not hear.
7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first."
8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.

What a heaven!

(J. A. James, "The Practical Believer Delineated")

Heaven will consist of . . .
the moral perfection of the soul,
perfect knowledge,
perfect holiness,
perfect love,
perfect likeness to Christ,
perfection of the body in . . .
incorruptibility,
immortality,
glory, and
spirituality;
the presence of God in the full manifestation of His glory,
the beatific vision of Christ,
the fellowship of angels and all the redeemed,
the joint worship of the heavenly multitudes,
the perfect service of Christ, without . . .
interruption,
imperfection, or
cessation,
complete freedom from . . .
pain,
toil,
hunger,
thirst,
anxiety,
fear,
sorrow, and
death!

Such is the substance of heavenly felicity. Take
any one of them by itself--and each is a heaven!
Add them altogether--and what a heaven!

How pure! How elevated! How felicitous!

Blessing of obedience
"His mother saith unto the servants,
Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it."
- John 2:5
1. Lord gives you Prosperity
"Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught."
- Luke 5:4
"And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes."
- John 21:6

2. Lord gives you Health
"And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing."
- John 9:7
"And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed."
- Luke 17:14
3. Lord gives you Satisfaction
"He said, Bring them hither to me."
- Matt 14:18

4. Lord gives you Consolation, Joy
"Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days."
- John 11:39
"Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me."
- John 11:41

5. Lord gives you Honour
"Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim."
- John 2:7

Being Deeply rooted in the
House of the Lord
"Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God." - Psalms 92:13
1. Association with the Lord
"11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle."
- Exodus 33:11
2. Affection on the Lord
"One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple."
- Psalms 27:4
3. Adoration of the Lord
"36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;
37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day."
- Luke 2:36-37

Study

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Most of the resources for study will be off-site links, but before you go, here are a few tidbits for you.
There are few things of equal value to the life of a Christian as the study of the word of God, and I don't mean just reading it, I mean truly studying it. Reading it is only the beginning of study, but true study includes all of the following:
1) Reading of scripture in humility, as though you are meeting directly with God.
2) Searching scripture out to build a web of connections, allowing scripture to interpret scripture.
3) Much quiet meditation on what you have found.
4) If need be, consult trusted commentaries for additional insight.
5) Application of what you have learned, to your life.
6) Measuring and contemplation of what has happened in your life because of it.
7) A continual adjustment and conformity to newfound understanding of God's word.
8) Having the whole process all the way through, bathed in prayer.
The key thing to remember is that we are doing our studying to learn of God, who is much higher than we are. His very nature being so much higher than us requires us to seek Him earnestly, not haphazardly, or when we get around to it. But He has promised that if we seek Him, we will find Him....
Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Just read.​

The word "study" here in the Greek is often translated as "be diligent" so we can read this verse as "be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a workman not ashamed, rightly cutting the word of truth".

I believe we should all be much in prayer that the Lord will give us diligence in the study of His Word. There is so much error abroad at the moment, especially the error that God's Word is not the final authority.

God bless us as we study together.

tongue, wounds by the, a wound from a tongue is worse than a wound from a sword; the latter affects only the body, the former the soul and the spirit.

1. a choice tongue. Pro.10: 20.
2. a wise tongue. Prov 15:2.
3. a wholesome tongue.prov.15: 4.
4. a kind tongue. Prov.31: 26.
5. a confessing tongue.phil.2: 11;rom.14: 11.
6. a scriptural tongue.psm.119: 172.
7. a taught tongue.isaiah.50: 4.
8. a deceitful tongue.rom.3: 13.
9. an empty tongue. I john 3:18.
10. an unbirdled tongue.james.1: 26.
11. a froward tongue.prov.10.31.
12. a lying tongue. Prov.6: 17; 12:19; 21:6; 24:28.
13. a flattering tonuge.prov.28: 23.
14. a back biting tongue.prov. 25; 23.

James 3:5 (New International Version)

5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.

There are 5 levels of faith in scripture..

a. There is no faith (Mark 4:40)
b. There is little faith (Matthew 8:26)
c. There is weak faith (Romans 4:19)
d. There is strong faith (Romans 4:20)
e. There is great faith (Matthew 8:10

God's reward for those who seek him
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. - Hebrews 11:6
1. Reward of rest
Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the LORD our God, we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered.
- 2 Chronicles 14:7

2. Reward of riches
4But sought to the Lord God of his father, and walked in his commandments, and not after the doings of Israel.
5Therefore the LORD stablished the kingdom in his hand; and all Judah brought to Jehoshaphat presents; and he had riches and honour in abundance.
- 2 Chronicles 17:4-5

3. Reward of revival
1Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem one and thirty years.
2And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the ways of David his father, and declined neither to the right hand, nor to the left.
3For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images.
- 2 Chronicles 34:1-3

Flesh And Spirit​
“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit”(John 3:6).​
Made with a special flexible frame, the​
Ulo Chair is basically two chairs in one. If you
fancy a lounge chair for leisure time or relaxation, it can be quickly fashioned to satisfy your
hopes. If you desire an upright chair for working, eating, or studying, it can be easily adapted to
that configuration. The chair is a very adaptable piece of furniture designed for the growing need
of compact living spaces.
The text before us is actually two texts in one. If your way of life is carnal or man-conscious
and calls for a message regarding the flesh, Jesus’ first statement in the text perfectly addresses
that subject. If your lifestyle is spiritual or God-conscious and requires a message concerning the
Spirit, His further statement fits that need. The truths of the text are very applicable to our lives
and bring us face to face with reality.
For a moment, however, we will consider the two themes together–flesh and Spirit.
Although they are extreme opposites and will never resemble at any point, Jesus did lift them up
together, one in one of His hands and one in the other. While they are separate in their own
worlds, and could never be joined to each other, they are seen together here in a divine snapshot to
reveal their total incompatibility.

In the consideration of flesh and spirit, two worlds are distinguished!​
The first world
mentioned, of course, is the world of the flesh. Jesus indicated that this world is the world of
spiritual lifelessness and blindness (see 3:3), the world in which man goes his own way.
Conversely, the second world set forth, the world of the Spirit, is the world in which men are made
alive spiritually, and are miraculously changed from the inside out.

In the consideration of flesh and spirit, two births are declared!​
The birth associated with
the flesh is the natural birth, the generative life that issues from a father and mother. The birth
identified with the Spirit is the new birth, the regenerative life that is imparted by the Holy Spirit.
The three times Jesus spoke to Nicodemus of this essential birth, He referred to it as being “born
of the Spirit” (3:5, 6, 8). This is the only hope of ever being a part of the spiritual world.

In the consideration of flesh and spirit, two natures are discussed!​
Jesus clearly stated,
“That which is born of the flesh is flesh!” Thus, fleshly attributes are evidenced by the fleshly
nature. From the other perspective, because “that which is born of the Spirit is spirit,” spiritual
traits are witnessed from the spiritual nature. The question then, dear friend, is threefold. In what
world do you operate? With what birth are you associated? And, what nature is set forth in your

life? May God help us to face the truth.
http://www.tomhayes.org/PDF/Devotions/2007/070625FleshAndSpirit.pdf

Galatians
1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s
womb, and called me by his grace,
1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the
heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
1:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before
me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and
abode with him fifteen days.
1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord’s
brother.
1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie
not.
1:21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;
1:22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were
in Christ:
1:23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times
past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.
1:24
And they glorified God in me.

1.Invitation. Gal 1:15.

2.Revelation. Gal 1:16.

3.Determination. Gal 1:16.

4.Meditation. Gal 1:17.

5. Association. Gal 1:17.

6.Declaration. Gal 1:20.

7.Transformation. Gal 1:24.

5 Crowns for the Christian
1. The Crown of Temperance (1 Cor. 9:25)
-The Striving Crown ...incorruptible crown...
2. The Crown of Transformation (2 Tim. 4:20)
The Second Coming Crown ..crown of righteousness
3. The Crown of Trials (James 1:12 Rev. 2:10)
The Stedfastness Crown ...crown of life...
4. The Crown of Teaching (1 Peter 5:1,4)
The Shepherds Crown ...crown of glory...
5. The Crown of Treasure ( 1 Thes. 2:19)
The Soul Winner's Crown ...crown of rejoicing...

God is greater than our heart!

I Jn 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our
hearts before him.
3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and
knoweth all things.

1. Our God is above all Gods……………….. Living God.

Psm 135:5 For I know that the LORD is great, and that our Lord is above all
gods.

2. Our God is greater than any Church-------- Denomination.

Mt 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the
temple.

3. Our God is greater than Jonah…………………Preachers.

Matthew 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and
shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas;
and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

4. Our God is greater than Solomon……………..Wisdom.

Matthew 12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this
generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost
parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a
greater than Solomon is here.

5. Our God is greater than Jacob………………….Israelites.

John 4:12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and
drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

6. Our God is greater than Abraham………………Father of faith.

John 8:53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the
prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before
Abraham was, I am.

7. Our God is great in Counsel ………………Counsel

Jere 32:19 Great in counsel, and mighty in work: for thine eyes are open upon
all the ways of the sons of men: to give every one according to his
ways, and according to the fruit of his doings:

Right and wrong praying

(Theodore Cuyler, "Wayside Springs
from the Fountain of Life" 1883)
The richest blessing that prayer can bring—is to bring us into closer communion and agreement with the all-holy and the all-loving God. The very first essential to all right prayer—is unconditional submissiveness to God's will.

"Find your happiness in God—and He will give you the askings of your heart." This is the exact rendering of Psalm 37:4, and it throws a flood of light upon the important question of—what is right prayer—and what is wrong prayer. A great deal of prayer is born of selfishness, and takes on the airs of dictating to our Heavenly Father. It is not humble supplication, born of a devout, submissive spirit; but it amounts to a demand. God's promises to His children are not unconditional; and we may presume to dictate to the God of wisdom and of love.

What is laid down distinctly, as the indispensable quality of right asking in the above quoted verse? It is a right feeling towards God. When a soul comes into such an entire submissiveness towards God that it can honestly say, "Nevertheless, not as I will—but as You will;" when that soul delights in seeing God reign, and in seeing His glory advanced—then its desires will be so purified from the dregs of selfishness, that they may be fearlessly poured out before God. In this frame of unselfish submissiveness, the soul may indeed come boldly to the throne of grace, and ask for grace suited to its every need. The desires of God—and the desires of a sincere Christly soul, will then agree. God loves to give to those—who love to be submissive to Him. They are as willing to accept His "no" as His "yes," for they are seeking not their own desires and glory—but His! As a kind father loves to grant the reasonable requests of a dutiful son, so does our Heavenly Father love to grant righteous and reasonable requests of His children!

A man stands in a row-boat out on a lake, and pulls upon a line attached to the shore. His pull does not move the solid ground one hair's breadth—but it does move his boat towards the land. In like manner, when I attach the line of my desire, fast to the everlasting throne, my faith does not expect to move the throne—but to draw me closer to it. When I get more and more into harmony with God—I receive all that my heart most desires. Finding my happiness in Christ—I am satisfied. Money, health, promotion, ease, and all kindred worldly cravings, are only lawful—when they are subordinated to God's higher desires for me.

The question now arises, What are right desires? As far as my ignorance has been enlightened by the Word, I would reply that every desire is a right one—which aims only to please God—and not SELF. Grace does not forbid desires—but it purifies and directs our desires.

Nay, the Bible exhorts us to "eagerly desire the greater gifts." 1 Corinthians 12:28. Wisdom from above, strength for the hour of need, faith, grace, love and kindred blessings, are in harmony with God's promises. These are the very things which God has told us to covet!

Our Heavenly Father does not hand the reins overto us—when our selfishness grasps after them. Nor does He allow our ignorance to be the judge of what is best for us. He often surprises us by sending something better than what we petitioned for. But infinitely the best thing which He can give us—is His favor and grace. If we find our supreme happiness in these—oh, how our souls are purified from all base, selfish, wayward, and wicked desires! And with what banqueting on His love, and with what foretastes of heaven—are our best askings answered!

O, what slow learners!
"So Jesus said, Do you also still not understand?" Matthew 15:16
What lessons we need day by day to teach us anything aright, and how it is for the most part, "line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little." O, what slow learners!—what dull, forgetful scholars!—what ignoramuses!—what stupid blockheads!—what stubborn pupils! Surely no scholar at a school, old or young, could learn so little of natural things as we seem to have learned of spiritual things after so many years instruction—so many chapters read—so many sermons heard—so many prayers put up—so much talking about religion. How small, how weak is the amount of growth, compared with all we have read and heard and talked about! But it is a mercy that the Lord saves whom He will save—and that we are saved by free grace—and free grace alone!

Philpot

Back