Sunday Christian

“Behold, you trust in deceptive words to no avail. Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known, and then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations?
(Jeremiah 7:8-10 ESV)

Perhaps the other gods we go to are money, our job, the gym and a plethora of other things. Are we really followers or are we just saying we are. Are we alive on the outside but dead on the in?

Sometimes my focus has been on my job over my relationship with the Lord, there have been times where I have focused on more money. There have been times where I prayed just to go through the motion but really wasn't in it, but continued to act like everything was going great between God and I.

I hope that by reading this verse you were able to reflect. May God's blessings be upon you all.

“Behold, you trust in deceptive words to no avail. Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known, and then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations?
(Jeremiah 7:8-10 ESV)

Perhaps the other gods we go to are money, our job, the gym and a plethora of other things. Are we really followers or are we just saying we are. Are we alive on the outside but dead on the in?

Sometimes my focus has been on my job over my relationship with the Lord, there have been times where I have focused on more money. There have been times where I prayed just to go through the motion but really wasn't in it, but continued to act like everything was going great between God and I.

I hope that by reading this verse you were able to reflect. May God's blessings be upon you all.

I spent the vast majority of my life as a double minded christian(which to me is not christian at all). I saw so much christian hypocrisy, I used that to justify my own.
While I conducted my life in a way that was "better" than almost all I came across, I was still a quasi-christian practicing some kind of psuedo-christianity. With each passing year since I asked my wife to baptize me in our swimming pool, I have slowly grown in the Lord and look back at each previous year shaking my head at how far I've come but also how so very far there is to go. It is a journey that showed me that instead of giving up everything for nothing....I am in fact giving up nothing(what this world offers is nothing) and am gaining everything in the Lord.
The journey is scary and lonely because while many of you can look at your fellow christians you have known in your lives and see only a few "bad apples"...I on the other hand look back at christians I've known and can only count a few that really seemed to have given their hearts to Christ. That makes for a sad and lonely journey. I just don't trust people anymore and strive mightily just to trust the Lord after what I've been through. I pray that when the harvest comes, He remembers the sheep in the wilderness too.

I spent the vast majority of my life as a double minded christian(which to me is not christian at all). I saw so much christian hypocrisy, I used that to justify my own.
While I conducted my life in a way that was "better" than almost all I came across, I was still a quasi-christian practicing some kind of psuedo-christianity. With each passing year since I asked my wife to baptize me in our swimming pool, I have slowly grown in the Lord and look back at each previous year shaking my head at how far I've come but also how so very far there is to go. It is a journey that showed me that instead of giving up everything for nothing....I am in fact giving up nothing(what this world offers is nothing) and am gaining everything in the Lord.
The journey is scary and lonely because while many of you can look at your fellow christians you have known in your lives and see only a few "bad apples"...I on the other hand look back at christians I've known and can only count a few that really seemed to have given their hearts to Christ. That makes for a sad and lonely journey. I just don't trust people anymore and strive mightily just to trust the Lord after what I've been through. I pray that when the harvest comes, He remembers the sheep in the wilderness too.

We have all been hurt by "Christians" but we still need to serve the body of Christ. If we let offence rule us then Satan has beaten us. We were created for fellowship with one another. I know many Christians who have withdrawn out of church because of hurt but they never get over the hurt because they hold on to it. I would like to encourage you to get involved again - ask God what church He wants you to go to.

God bless

“Behold, you trust in deceptive words to no avail. Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known, and then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations? (Jeremiah 7:8-10 ESV)

I agree with the point you are making but as Christians we cannot compare ourselves to the Jews in that verse. The Jews were ''dating'' Jesus, we are married to Jesus. We live with Jesus, they visited Jesus. Jesus goes with us to the gym and job. Perhaps we need to become more aware of His constant presence. Prayer is not to be an effort, rather it is merely a thought or talking to God where we are as we are.

Identifying an idol for a Christian becomes a lot more complex.

I know the audience, I think I should have explained. It struck a cord with me though.

I agree with the point you are making but as Christians we cannot compare ourselves to the Jews in that verse. The Jews were ''dating'' Jesus, we are married to Jesus. We live with Jesus, they visited Jesus. Jesus goes with us to the gym and job. Perhaps we need to become more aware of His constant presence. Prayer is not to be an effort, rather it is merely a thought or talking to God where we are as we are.

Identifying an idol for a Christian becomes a lot more complex.

I know the audience, I think I should have explained. It struck a cord with me though.
Thats why we are known by our fruits and not church attendance. Sorry man. It sux when we assume we have Christians that we can fellowship with around us, yet they just are not Christians.

We have all been hurt by "Christians" but we still need to serve the body of Christ. If we let offence rule us then Satan has beaten us. We were created for fellowship with one another. I know many Christians who have withdrawn out of church because of hurt but they never get over the hurt because they hold on to it. I would like to encourage you to get involved again - ask God what church He wants you to go to.

God bless

TRUE. Please read and grasp the doctrine of RECONCILIATION!

Back