Sunday School - February 22, 2009

Sunday School - February 22, 2009

Man, left alone, seeks not the will or leadership of God (Romans 3:11). Born in iniquity, inherently at enmity with righteousness, an unrestricted man will maintain his course on a path that leads only to death. History has proven that most, even those with the knowledge of the Living God, prefers to follow and honor the leadership of carnal man to that of God; such was the preference of God’s people freed from Pharaoh (Deuteronomy 17:14-15, 1 Samuel 8:5-9) and such are our wishes today. In spite of such, God will use human leaders as instruments to do His will; for all that He created serves only for and to His pleasure.

Proverbs 16:4 The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

Revelation 4:11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Many rulers (Kings, Presidents and Governors) will come and all will eventually go, leaving much or more to be desired than solutions to be found; for in man is the desire to search for the unreachable solutions (Ecclesiastes 3:11), in the end never achieving his determined goal. Thus is the world we live in, a world that reveals the need for God; for in all our trials and troubles, all lessons lead to one conclusion “there is no human solution to earthly problems”. The only solution to earthly and human problems is found in the Holy God, by the blood of His son Jesus, a solution that last an eternity.

Acts 4:12. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

This week's lesson is from the book of Isaiah. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (February 22, 2009) comes from Isaiah 6:1-8.

Isaiah begins his prophetic ministry during the reign of King Uzziah. Uzziah, an honorable king, prospered as he followed God. However, Uzziah became proud in his God given success and chose to perform duties appointed only to the high priest (2 Chronicles 26:16-21). This profane act displeased God and caused Uzziah to be struck with leprosy and cut off from the house of the Lord. A man king, a good king of God, fallen in the sight of many who thought him to be god-like. A judgment rightly justified for Uzziah disobedience, a judgment to reconcile man to a true God whom glory is shared with none.

In the year that Uzziah died, Isaiah saw the Lord sitting upon a throne. A vision, not a shadow or representations of such to come, but the true attributes of God and all His Glory. Often when we are led by a successful man (God chosen instrument), we often render more to God’s instrument than to God, such prohibits our ability to discern light from that which is only a shadow.

Isaiah experienced the true Holy of Holies, a place not consecrated to be Holy, but one that is Holy. Above the holy throne stood seraphim with six wings, even these holy servants of God covered face and feet in the presence of God’s glory. For true Glory is the visual manifestation of true Holiness, an outward representation of God’s Holiness concealed within. Although man seeks to display his glory, at best such is only a disguise, a false representation of the true iniquity within.

Isaiah’s experience in the presence of Holiness reveals the inability of sinful man to withstand such Glory; for even the utterance of holy servants caused holy objects to shutter at their voices (Isaiah 6:4). One can only wonder, how can sinful man withstand the voice or presence of God?

Isaiah discovered what every man discovers when man encounters God, a true revelation of the holiness of God and the undeniable wickedness of man (Isaiah 6:5); in such an encounter, we can find no excuses, for all is exposed in the presence of Truth. If revelation impels the heart to seek redemption, God is faithful to take away our iniquity and remove our sin. Such was provided to Isaiah in a symbolic form of coal (Isaiah 6:6-7), a reality made true by Jesus for Isaiah and all.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Absence of iniquity and the removal of sin, an instrument of God is fit for good use. Isaiah now consecrated, sanctified, and set apart for that which is holy; saved not of, but unto good works (Ephesians 2:10). Now a follower of God, not to the shadow of man, Isaiah heeds God’s call:

Isaiah 6:8. Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

As Christians, we too have a true revelation of God and His Holiness, through His written word. Just as Isaiah, we too are consecrated, sanctified, and set apart for that which is holy. Just as Isaiah, we are to respond to His call in such the same manner “Here am I; send me”.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who wish to know the true God) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back