Sunday School - July 26, 2009

Sunday School - July 26, 2009

Life’s journey, by any route, consists of toils and burdens that span the distance of life’s tumultuous path. Although much is not the same to all in life, to all, there is the endless cycle of hopes and dreams and the consciousness of happiness and despair. In times of tremendous happiness, there is often sadness and sorrow; in times of employment, yet there may be unmanageable debt; in times of good health, the heart may remain weary; and in times of abundance, yet there may linger a profound sense of emptiness. Such is our temporal life, a collection of both good and bad, confined in a finite receptacle, which is often in need of restoration.

If such is our plight, we are in need of a recourse; a human rendition of a computer reboot or disc reformat; a mean to reset our life to a stored point; the earnest ability or means to start fresh anew. However, unlike a computer or a memory storage device, we can never undo that which is done; for all that we have experienced is the sum of what we have become. However, there still remains a recourse, a way to began anew; such is a journey on a new path where old things are passed away.

2 Corinthians 5:17. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Matthew 11:28-30. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

As Christians, our hope is not diminish by life’s toils and burdens, such are only debris that we must encounter and endure in our earthly journey, for we have been redeemed and reconciled to a new path and conforms not to the cares and persuasions of this world, but to the will and examples set forth by our Lord and Savior. Although we carry the stains of sins past, we have a promise; a promise that gives us our greatest hope; the hope of the day when we will received the ultimate REBOOT and RESET, which is a complete restoration and washing away of all sins. Thus, we will truly begin anew; being glorified with Christ our savior, forever in eternity (Romans 3:22-26).

This week's lesson is again from the book of Leviticus. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (July 26, 2009) comes from Leviticus 25:8-21, 23, 24.

The Lord has spoken to Moses in Mt. Sinai with instructions for keeping the seventh year Sabbath. Such would be a year when the land would lay fallow and all (both man and beast) that labor therein would see rest (Leviticus 25:1-7).

This lesson begins with the announcement of a greater year of joy and celebration, a year of release and restoration. This exceptional year would follow seven Sabbath years (forty-nine years) and would be ushered in with a trumpet sound throughout the land; such would be proclaimed on the tenth day of the seventh month, on the Day of Atonement. A trumpet to herald the attentiveness of all, for none should know not the true blessings, commanded and supported by an almighty God. It was only fitting that the year of Jubilee would commence on the Day of Atonement; for it should be first to atone for sins, before one begin a fresh start in life.

2 Chronicles 7:14. If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

1 John 1:9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Just as the Sabbath years, the year of Jubilee would be a year that the land would lie fallow. Thus, there would be two consecutive years where there would be no sowing or reaping of that which grows of itself. That which grew in the fiftieth year (the year of Jubilee) was also holy and could be eaten out of the field by both man and beast, including servants and strangers. In addition, the year of Jubilee would be a year when the possessions of land that had been sold would then revert back to the original owner. In the year of Jubilee the Israelites were commanded to return every man unto his possession. Such was God established provision, to assure fairness to man, a fairness beyond that which man could conceive to apply; for man neither has the will or natural desire to serve that which does not pleases self (Philippians 2:21).

1 Corinthians 10:24. Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

All that the Israelites would buy and sell among themselves, they were commanded to do all in a manner of fairness, with no evil intent to oppress another. Such required that all, that would be bought and sold, to be priced relative to the number of years prior to the year of Jubilee. Such transactions are to be done with the utmost honesty, given all reverence to God, the Lord to whom we all shall give account (Romans 14:11-12). If the Israelites adhere to God’s statutes and judgments, He promised them a land that will yield much fruit; a land from which they would eat their fill; a land where they would dwell in safety. Such was a conditional promised, which only requires obedience; for in all man’s efforts, it is God and God alone who provides the increase.

Psalms 127:1. Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

1 Corinthians 3:6. I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Knowing the concerns and lack of faith of man, God answered their concerns for leaving their land in rest for two consecutive years. God stated that He would bring a blessing upon them in the sixth year, and it shall bring forth fruit for three years. This was a promise destine to be assured; a promise that required only faith and obedience; obedience that required a simple task of rest.

The land God provided to the Israelite was not to be sold forever, for the true owner is God and all who hold such in possession are strangers and sojourners with Him. This measure would restrain the covetousness of the strong and retain the rights for future generations to possess that which God had originally given to their family. All land that was purchased from another, the buyer was commanded to grant a redemption if the owner or relative had the resources to buy it back; but if it was not, it would automatically return to the original owner during that fiftieth year, the blessed year of Jubilee.

We need not wait for the year of Jubilee, for today is the acceptable year of the Lord (Luke 4:19). Jesus Christ, the foreordained Redeemer is now available to whosoever will accept Him as their Lord and Savior; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4). As Christians, we have been redeemed with a price (1 Corinthians 6:20); a price, which exceeds any measurable value, the precious blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 1:18-19. Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who seeks restoration and redemption) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back