Sunday School - May 31, 2009

Sunday School - May 31, 2009

A defensive shield is essential for the preservation of those who are duty bound for battle. Although the skills of a warrior are extremely important, his ability to endure assures more a successful battle. Even if a warrior endures in a battle of defeat, he lives another day to fight once more. Such should be our strategy in our fearless walk of faith; to obtain a shield to defend; to acquire the courage to do battle; and to maintain the faith to persevere unto the end.

Matthew 10:22. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Galatians 6:9. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

As Christians, Christ has won our battle and the victory is ours to be obtained through faith. This faith is an assurance that produces the courage to endure, for by Grace we were given the true faith that saves. Such faith is one that acknowledges and follows our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:57. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

In all battles we encounter, however great or small, our path to victory will remain the same. For our victory is achieved not by man or might, but by Whom in which we abide and Who abides in us. If in Christ resides our faith, sheild, weapons and victory, what need have we to fear: because greater is he that is in you [us], than he [our enemies] that is in the world (1 John 4:4).

Psalms 20:7. Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.

This week's lesson is again from the book of Ephesians. For those who follow the International Sunday School Lesson Plan (aka: The Standard Sunday School Lesson), this Sunday's lesson (May 31, 2009) comes from Ephesians 6:10-18.

Paul final words to the brethrens at the Church at Ephesus were for them to be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Such is to stand firm on that which holds their faith and to act according to the power to which they had been given. Such is an excellent reminder to all that are in Christ, “we can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth us (Philippians 4:13)”.

The Church of Ephesus was admonished to put on the whole armor of God, to stand against the methods and means of Satan. For it is wise to apply all that one has to defend against an evil foe, who desire is to destroy all that he can. This foe is not of flesh and blood, although such maybe the instrument of choice, neither is this foe a single entity, but one, which consist of a confederate. Our battle is against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Such is a battle we cannot avoid, a battle we must endure with all of our might, for there is no treaty or compromise we may pursue. For righteousness finds no peace with the unjust:

Proverbs 29:27. An unjust man is an abomination to the just: and he that is upright in the way is abomination to the wicked.

James 4:4. Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

We must take on the whole armor of God to withstand any temptation hurled toward us, doing all we must do, that we may continue to stand. Our God, which is light, has power to defend the rulers of darkness and through Him, we have been given light to resist all that the wicked world has to offer.

James 4:7. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Our armor is forge through faith, righteousness and truth, an impenetrable defense to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked (Ephesians 6:16). In addition to salvation, our armor includes the gospel of peace, the final component that makes our armor the ultimate shield of God. For this shield is also our rock:

2 Samuel 22:3. The God of my rock; in him will I trust: He is my shield, and the Horn Of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.

The weapons of a Godly warrior is only a weapon of one, the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12). Such is the weapon; we must all diligently seek to be our weapon of choice.

When we are ready for battle with both weapon and shield, we must make our prayerful petition to whom all battles belong (2 Chronicles 20:15); a prayer that is in harmony with the Holy Spirit, a prayer for all perseverance and supplication for all saints.

If you are not a typical Sunday School attendee, Go and surprise the teacher. If your Church does not follow the Standard Sunday School Lesson and you are not aware of the topic of discussion, take on the attitude of "positive anticipation". I am sure you will like it; there is nothing like reading and discussing God's Word.

FYI: Sunday School is not just for Kids, it is also for the Humble (those who wish to become fit for battle) at heart.

Good Day and God Bless

Back