Surpassing Rest

It is well to note that the differences in receiving from God between the prior covenant of Israel and the present covenant of the believer in Christ is that of how attaining the things of God derive. In both covenants, faith is always the means “through” (not “by” –Eph 2:8) which blessings come but in the former they came to the individual first by entering a union with God through faith, then receiving the blessings according to their level of obedience, e.g. do this and that and you will receive this and that.

In the present covenant all the blessings of God are received upon union with Him (2 Pe 1:3), but the encouragement and peace they impart are only utilized according to progressive maturity in the Word of God which teaches us how to walk in them, of which He “works” (Phil 2:13) in all who are born again.
- NC

Surpassing Rest

Let us look at the difference between Israel entering the land, and the man in Christ. Everything depended upon their act. They must go in and possess the land. True, God brought them in, but they had to act in order to possess, and those who went in without faith did not remain possessors.

Now the believer is united to Christ, and is in full title and ownership of the heavenly places before he enjoys any of it (physically enters—NC). True, as he accepts in faith the portion which grace has given him, the greater is his sense of possession and consequently of his enjoyment (the more we know of our eventual possession of heaven the more we can enjoy ourselves in anticipating it—NC). In the one case the act was necessary in order to obtain possession; in the other, there was as much title before enjoying the possession, as there was consequent on possession.

If I only possess heaven in proportion to my act of faith, as was the case with Israel respecting Canaan, I have no right to possession but as I secure it; my sense of owning the land is only as I set foot on it. Hence I am necessarily anxious as to my progress; my possession depends on it. But with a believer now, he has full title before he lays hold of any of it, and every apprehension of his portion only stimulates him the more to advance, and to be in association with Him who is there.

It is the vastness of the blessing which he has in association with Christ, which makes him long to apprehend it more, as Paul says, “That I may apprehend that for which I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.” It is the breadth and length, and depth and height, which occupy him who has Christ dwelling in his heart by faith. He does not depend on his own progress for assurance of possession, but he is so assured of the unsearchable riches of Christ, as his portion, that he dwells on it in faith; and thus, as the greatness of his possession realized, he longs to enter still more into what he is sure is his.

We all know the tendency there is in our hearts, and often in proportion to our earnestness to be in the line of attainment, instead of being simple recipients; and it is well for us to note the difference in the state which the effort to attain produces, from that which grace or the mere acceptance of gift produces.

One who is in the former is never even; he is elated at any sense of his progress, and depressed if he becomes conscious of his losing ground, though generally he is too well pleased with his own engrossment of desire to advance, and obtain more. In the other, in proportion as the grace is simply held, there is great balance and evenness.

There is ever a sense of being far behind in enjoying the vastness of what has been conferred; and there is the greatest thankfulness for a sight of it, while with each new acquisition, there is the sense that “the draught which lulls our thirsting awakens our thirst anew.” The one is like a man making a fortune; while the other is exploring the vastness of the gift bestowed upon him; one necessarily is occupied with what he is doing; the other is praising the Lord for all that He has shared with him.

Surely the one with boundless resources in Christ, and with any fidelity of heart for Him, must surpass the most devoted heart that does not know its portion in its object. The Queen of Sheba is after all only an enraptured spectator, while the believer is united to Christ and participates with Him in His things: and surely the latter must, because of intuitive or intrinsic grace, surpass the former.

- J B Stoney

Excerpt from MJS devotional:
“The Christian suffers the same calamities as others, perhaps even worse; he faces difficulties and losses in the things of this life; he has to be prepared to meet death itself. In all these circumstances he is calm and trustful; he is not only sure of ultimately going to heaven, but already abides there and enjoys something of it in his own heart.

“God is real to him and ever near. He knows a peace which passes all understanding, and he experiences a joy which no man can take from him. This, surely, should be our testimony in the world, but it can only be as the Lord Jesus Himself lives out this life in us.” -H.F.
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Hello Netchaplain;

In the prior covenant between God and His people and present covenant of the believer in Christ was the act of faith. An act of faith is the gratitude of our hearts because in many instances in the Old and New Testaments, to these here and now times, we cannot pay back what God had done, so many times, our gratitude of heart is an act toward our Father in Christ Jesus.

But we can also act in faith by taking responsibility as stewards of His unmerited blessings. There are consequences when we squander His blessings - ungrateful hearts when the blessings aren't enough for us, selfishness when we hoard and don't share the blessings with others in need, etc...

Our salvation and His grace are a very big part of His covenant and we should always respond with thanksgiving and praise for all He has done. I believe when we show these attitudes in our act of faith, we will share what He has given to us and will entrust us with more so we can share more with others.

When we cry and suffer out to God, when we repent of our sins, these are acts of faith to our Redeemer. He then fills us with His forgiveness, peace and renewed chances. These are profound covenants from God to us in Christ Jesus.

God bless you and thank you, Netchaplain. Your thread blessed me.

Hello Netchaplain;

In the prior covenant between God and His people and present covenant of the believer in Christ was the act of faith. An act of faith is the gratitude of our hearts because in many instances in the Old and New Testaments, to these here and now times, we cannot pay back what God had done, so many times, our gratitude of heart is an act toward our Father in Christ Jesus.

But we can also act in faith by taking responsibility as stewards of His unmerited blessings. There are consequences when we squander His blessings - ungrateful hearts when the blessings aren't enough for us, selfishness when we hoard and don't share the blessings with others in need, etc...

Our salvation and His grace are a very big part of His covenant and we should always respond with thanksgiving and praise for all He has done. I believe when we show these attitudes in our act of faith, we will share what He has given to us and will entrust us with more so we can share more with others.

When we cry and suffer out to God, when we repent of our sins, these are acts of faith to our Redeemer. He then fills us with His forgiveness, peace and renewed chances. These are profound covenants from God to us in Christ Jesus.

God bless you and thank you, Netchaplain. Your thread blessed me.
Thank you too BIF for your input on the thread, and for your concern for God!

Back