Table Manners

We were taught to keep elbows off the table also, although I really never understood why.

bobinfaith , I googled this particular manner to see what the history was, you are more right than you may know. Here’s what I found:

Why Did We Start Keeping Elbows off the Table?​

Margaret Visser explained to Readers Digest, “For earlier civilizations, it was a way to prevent outbreaks of violence at the table. "Table manners prevented us from leaving our space and starting a fight. It was important that people saw you as considerate or trying hard,"
“In the olden days, crossing that invisible border could be interpreted as disregarding order when social norms were the only thing keeping people in line. People like that were dangerous and capable of anything. "People got scared when you started having bad manners," Visser continued. "They realized the taboo was not functioning, and you didn't know what this person was going to do next."
Thank you for sharing with us this little piece of history. It is certainly interesting.

By the way, I didn't know people in the olden days were such violent beasts, lol.

That is very interesting Bob, I didn't know. I thought it was just to look more elegant.
We were taught to keep elbows off the table also, although I really never understood why.

bobinfaith, I googled this particular manner to see what the history was, you are more right than you may know. Here’s what I found:

Why Did We Start Keeping Elbows off the Table?​

Margaret Visser explained to Readers Digest, “For earlier civilizations, it was a way to prevent outbreaks of violence at the table. "Table manners prevented us from leaving our space and starting a fight. It was important that people saw you as considerate or trying hard,"
“In the olden days, crossing that invisible border could be interpreted as disregarding order when social norms were the only thing keeping people in line. People like that were dangerous and capable of anything. "People got scared when you started having bad manners," Visser continued. "They realized the taboo was not functioning, and you didn't know what this person was going to do next."

Oh man, you guys;

I'm surprised elbows off the table has been in the history books for some time. Maybe the pirates and heathens would think elbows were mistaken for food. 🍗 😎 🦴 lol!

I cannot believe I missed this thread.

I really enjoyed everyone’s posts about table manners.

I was brought up on table manners by mother, No chewing noisily, elbows off the table.
My mother thought we were in a palace or something. But my father, quite the hunter, would sit with his arms around his plate and cup and we all used to laugh at how they were so different.

I actually believe that’s it’s true what blueskies wrote now about outbrakes of violence at the table as my my dad used to have a saying whenever he was watching politics and news on tv…

“they’re all fighting over a buttered crust”

He had 9 siblings and told us he often went hungry unless his father brought home a stray chicken🙈

My dad would chew with his mouth open and food would fall all over the place.
Also our cats had their own chairs at the table.
The chicken also picked up crumbs.
I got told off for not holding my bowl and chopsticks correctly. Apparently there is a 'correct' way but I didn't care as long as it got the food to my mouth without dropping anything.
I also get told off regularly for not making dinner. But the reason I don't make it is because of an overly critical mother who hates anything I attempt to make.

I can cook for myself but please don't ask me to cook for other fuss pots.

Back