Tattoo First Timer Yet?

Not really. For the most part, my experience has been mostly neutral, a little negative here and there, and a little positive here and there, but mostly just neutral. Also, it really didn't hurt for me either.

Not really. For the most part, my experience has been mostly neutral, a little negative here and there, and a little positive here and there, but mostly just neutral. Also, it really didn't hurt for me either.

Banarenth:

Okay, ty.

I was wondering anyway if for example the combination of where Amanda Pate speaks of testimony meaning and also of a euphoric sense in submitting to it, can all be part of the same experience.

Maybe it differs from person to person anyway. For some Christians an exhileration to share, or whatever.

Blessings.

Placement, content, and just personal retrieval of pain can determine how well one handles the tattooing. My wife and I got our latest tattoos. Mine was on my forearm and wasn't that extensive. My wife's was on her upper harm and had much more detail--she felt more pain than me.
Also, your endorphins run low after about 45 minutes.
This was my most recent...
VirtuesTat.jpg

Been thinking and working on different tattoo designs. I don't have any but want one not only as s talking point, but as a reference to my faith and my family. This is my sons birthday in the middle and mine and my wifes on the sides. The plan would be to add more dates to each part to only enhance the size as time goes along and more dates become significant to me.

Picture 2 would be the idea going forward. I could add enough dates at 1 time to make it all even out.crosstattoo.jpgcrosstattoo2.jpg

Been thinking and working on different tattoo designs. I don't have any but want one not only as s talking point, but as a reference to my faith and my family. This is my sons birthday in the middle and mine and my wifes on the sides. The plan would be to add more dates to each part to only enhance the size as time goes along and more dates become significant to me.

Picture 2 would be the idea going forward. I could add enough dates at 1 time to make it all even out.View attachment 651View attachment 652

Hi insanemustang;

Yes, faith based tattoo designs can make great talking points with people. This is all part of the motivation for many people.

Often it's a family thing, too; is your wife maybe considering doing it, too?

Placement, content, and just personal retrieval of pain can determine how well one handles the tattooing. My wife and I got our latest tattoos. Mine was on my forearm and wasn't that extensive. My wife's was on her upper harm and had much more detail--she felt more pain than me.
Also, your endorphins run low after about 45 minutes.
This was my most recent...
View attachment 642

Lysander Shapiro:

Looks great; and I see that the design incorporates a cross. And an anchor (so were you - or your wife - ever in the navy, maybe?) Sounds like she's a brave lady with hers, too.

Lysander Shapiro:

Looks great; and I see that the design incorporates a cross. And an anchor (so were you - or your wife - ever in the navy, maybe?) Sounds like she's a brave lady with hers, too.

Thank you.
Neither of us are in the military (though my grandfather served in the Navy). I had always wanted an anchor tattoo just for aesthetic reasons--I've always loved the image itself, but even more importantly, the anchor is the symbol for Hope. I love 1 Corinthians 13:13 which addresses the three theological virtues (hope, faith, and love/charity). I decided to put a design together using 1940s tattoo illustrations I found and create one that involved the theological virtues--hope (anchor), faith (cross), and love (heart).

Also I also don't think every tattoo needs a meaning. My next tattoo that I'll be getting (a simple geometric design) has absolutely no meaning.

Haha, she's pretty brave. All of her tattoos seem to have more detail and larger scale than mine.

Thank you.
Neither of us are in the military (though my grandfather served in the Navy). I had always wanted an anchor tattoo just for aesthetic reasons--I've always loved the image itself, but even more importantly, the anchor is the symbol for Hope. I love 1 Corinthians 13:13 which addresses the three theological virtues (hope, faith, and love/charity). I decided to put a design together using 1940s tattoo illustrations I found and create one that involved the theological virtues--hope (anchor), faith (cross), and love (heart).

Also I also don't think every tattoo needs a meaning. My next tattoo that I'll be getting (a simple geometric design) has absolutely no meaning.

Haha, she's pretty brave. All of her tattoos seem to have more detail and larger scale than mine.

Lysander Shapiro: Hi; interesting; ty. Yes. 1 Corinthians 13 is often quoted from when ppl are looking for a Bible passage to refer to in a tattoo design. So is it your only faith related one, maybe? they do make a very effective talking point, anyway.

And kind of neat that it sounds like between you guys that your dw is kind of the leading devotee to going under the ink needle, some of her designs sounds quite intricate; any of them faith based, maybe?

Last edited:
Lysander Shapiro: Hi; interesting; ty. Yes. 1 Corinthians 13 is often quoted from when ppl are looking for a Bible passage to refer to in a tattoo design. So is it your only faith related one, maybe? they do make a very effective talking point, anyway.

And kind of neat that it sounds like between you guys that your dw is kind of the leading devotee to going under the ink needle, some of her designs sounds quite intricate; any of them faith based, maybe?

They do indeed. So far it is my only faith based one, but it won't be my last faith based one.
As for my wife, most of her tattoos are very family based, though I believe she has this concept lined up for her next one...
lamb.png

They do indeed. So far it is my only faith based one, but it won't be my last faith based one.
As for my wife, most of her tattoos are very family based, though I believe she has this concept lined up for her next one...
lamb.png

Well, interesting! At the beginning the thread was a bit about first-timers, too; so between you guys I just wondered, who got into ink first; unless you went together; some couples do that. Yes, re. 'very family based': while years ago tattoos were seen as a bit counter cultural, yet now they have been so thoroughly established as a womanly, family friendly thing that I read somewhere that now 59% of parlor clients in North America are women (70% in some areas).

Well, interesting! At the beginning the thread was a bit about first-timers, too; so between you guys I just wondered, who got into ink first; unless you went together; some couples do that. Yes, re. 'very family based': while years ago tattoos were seen as a bit counter cultural, yet now they have been so thoroughly established as a womanly, family friendly thing that I read somewhere that now 59% of parlor clients in North America are women (70% in some areas).

We each got our first tattoos on our honeymoon :)

And yes, tattoos were definitely counter-cultural and a statement of rebellion (even if the tattoo itself wasn't). It's pretty common these days. Actually, my little sister and mother were first to get tattoos in my family. When my mom turned 50, she decided she wanted to get a dove with the olive branch on her ankle and later got two small Hebrew tattoos on her forearms.

We each got our first tattoos on our honeymoon :)

And yes, tattoos were definitely counter-cultural and a statement of rebellion (even if the tattoo itself wasn't). It's pretty common these days. Actually, my little sister and mother were first to get tattoos in my family. When my mom turned 50, she decided she wanted to get a dove with the olive branch on her ankle and later got two small Hebrew tattoos on her forearms.

Lysander Shapiro:

Very touching that you guys both first got into ink together on honeymoon!

Nice story, too, about your younger sister and mom; it actually doesn't surprise me at all, because it's something that seems to happen a very great deal; many young wives and moms can probably report that all their girlfriend contemporaries have had it done, and among the older generation it's getting widespread, too, with grammas getting grandkids' initials/dates of birth on wrists/forearms/ankles: you're right about those placements being particularly sought after & suitable for women who are first getting into a bit of ink.

FYI: I saw this somewhere:

'Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post ... "We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos." Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo because everyone in the golf clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do in order to fit in. ' ( laura stampler , huffingtonpost dot com )

In fact, when it comes to members of the older generation following trends among other members of the older generation, it just goes to show that for a lot of people getting a bit of ink has become a rather benign and even conservative thing, really.

Last edited:
PS: Hi LysanderShapiro: In your penultimate post I think you tried to upload a dead link.

Anyway, I guess what you mentioned about Hebrew letters would probably give your mom a lot of scope to talk to folk about them, especially if it's in the background of you guys.

PS: Hi LysanderShapiro: In your penultimate post I think you tried to upload a dead link.

Anyway, I guess what you mentioned about Hebrew letters would probably give your mom a lot of scope to talk to folk about them, especially if it's in the background of you guys.

I attempted to link an image of my wife's next tattoo concept (The Lamb with the Cross). Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sure she's had quite a bit of questions asked about her Hebrew tattoos.

I attempted to link an image of my wife's next tattoo concept (The Lamb with the Cross). Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sure she's had quite a bit of questions asked about her Hebrew tattoos.

LysanderShapiro:

I love that verse in Revelation 5:12 which speaks of the Lord Jesus as the Lamb that was slain. (It's even quoted in Handel's Messiah.)

Well, I guess your mom would get quite a lot of comments. And seems like she's the one that happened to get you guys all started under the inking needle, anyway, by doing it first.

LysanderShapiro:

I love that verse in Revelation 5:12 which speaks of the Lord Jesus as the Lamb that was slain. (It's even quoted in Handel's Messiah.)

Well, I guess your mom would get quite a lot of comments. And seems like she's the one that happened to get you guys all started under the inking needle, anyway, by doing it first.

Great passage.
Nope--my little sister gets the honors as being the first. She got her first tattoo when she was 15.

Great passage.
Nope--my little sister gets the honors as being the first. She got her first tattoo when she was 15.

LysanderShapiro: Oh okay, I see; yes, well in some states if the parent signs for it, under 18s can get them. (Sounds like her mom was quite okay with signing, anyway.)

Last edited:
Back