Teaching my 3 yr old about religion..

I'm not sure how to teach my 3 yr old about religion and God especially when I'm still learning myself. We say prayers at night but I feel like it's the same thing every night. What should I be teaching her to pray about? I even feel a bit lost myself praying sometimes. Since we've started praying and talking a bit about things she's said that she doesn't love God while throwing a typical 3 yr old tantrum. I know she doesn't understand what she's saying but it makes me uncomfortable.
I'm wondering as well what the bible says about children sinning... Like she behaves poorly like a typical toddler sometimes but I think according to the bible some things are sins.. Sorry I feel like I have a million silly questions since I've started reading the bible lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you understand what the Bible is about? The entirety of the Bible can be summed as: Why mankind needs salvation in Jesus Christ; God in the Flesh.

Are you 'Saved'? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your LORD and Savior? Might I suggest reading all of John chapter 3.

Yes your daughter is a sinner; we all are. The bad news is we all deserve Hell.

The Good News (Gospel) is that Jesus Christ paid yours, mine, your daughter's and all of mankind's sin debt by satisfying God's wrath on the Cross at Calvary.

But every human born has to accept that gift individually. "Religion" does not 'save' you from damnation. Faith (belief) through God's Grace in Jesus Christ and who He is and what He has done does.

You and your child and everyone human being you know can choose to accept that gift or to deny it. God will honor your choice either way.....

I'm not sure how to teach my 3 yr old about religion and God especially when I'm still learning myself. We say prayers at night but I feel like it's the same thing every night. What should I be teaching her to pray about? I even feel a bit lost myself praying sometimes. Since we've started praying and talking a bit about things she's said that she doesn't love God while throwing a typical 3 yr old tantrum. I know she doesn't understand what she's saying but it makes me uncomfortable.
I'm wondering as well what the bible says about children sinning... Like she behaves poorly like a typical toddler sometimes but I think according to the bible some things are sins.. Sorry I feel like I have a million silly questions since I've started reading the bible lol.

Hi Marissa,

Don't fee silly in wanting to ask loads of questions, it's normal and we all started at this stage. Are you linked in with a local church? Do they have a children's Sunday school? I'm sure they do so I would recommend reaching out to the Sunday school teachers on how to lead your child at home so it also co-insides with what she is learning and praying at home with you.

I don't think you should be getting so bogged down with your daughter saying the things you mentioned in your post (The good Lord knows the stage she is at, but do pray that she grows to Love Jesus and the Word of God). I think your daughter may be feeling a little pressured to pray so maybe she needs the introduction to Jesus to be more fun and not like work at bed times. When she hears fun Bible stories about Jesus, I'm sure you will see a huge change in her, I mean she is only 3! The Sunday schoolteachers will be able to help you on this.

Overall It's fab that your starting your child at an early stage - Train up a child in the way (s)he should go, and when (s)he is old (s)he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6.

Also for yourself, think about attending Bible study to get a better understanding of the Word; It really, really helps and your able to ask questions.

God Bless You.

Hello Marissa! I have a 4 year old daughter. We learn so much by teaching the kids about God!! It might sound like just semantics. But there is a difference between teaching about God and teaching religion.

First and foremost thing is, they watch us and learn. We need to be better role models. Instead of teaching them prayer, we should pray with them. Based on our prayers, they will learn how to pray themselves. At such a young age, the only role models they have are parents. It becomes so very important for parents to be good role models.

When they do some thing wrong, instead of making them tell sorry to us, make them confess the wrong to God first. It is so important for us to highlight the importance of them being right with God first before being right with parents.

Teach the kid Bible verses and its meaning. They will ask questions which will amaze you! And they are so keen on learning. When my daughter was 2.5 years old, she once asked me what is grace! I thought it would be so difficult to explain. But she understood pretty well!!

It is natural for kids to say they don't like God or don't believe in God. Their belief would actually come from how much the parents believe in God. Kids keenly listen to us. When something good happens, to whom we attribute glory? Our hard work or to God? When they keep hearing us talking about God, they will believe there is God! And that He is good :)

In short, more than teaching, we should live a life that will automatically teach them. I am still learning.

In short, more than teaching, we should live a life that will automatically teach them. I am still learning.

Hello @Ravindran,

I had a friend who was old enough to be my mother, and so I saw the fruit borne in her life from being a Mother who loved the Lord, with a husband who shared that love. Every aspect of her life was one of praise to God, and it would come out quite naturally in her speech, and her two boys grew up thanking God for everything, especially for His love and grace. Both boys came to know the Lord as their Saviour as young children, and went on to grow in grace and truth and in the knowledge of Him; marrying believing partners, and have gone on to have beautiful, loving, God filled families of their own. Their Father, though quiet, gentle, and unassuming, was obviously the head of the house and respect for him came easily. His wife submitted to her husband and gave him the place that was his by right, in the Lord; and so a balance was made which served God's purpose in every way.

She had a teaching ministry with children locally, and took them on camping holidays, of Bible study, and outdoor fun and activity, which influenced so many, and her husband supported her, and was the facilitator and his quiet presence gave the needed security that they all needed. The boys were part of that life, and it kept them close to the Lord, for they did not desire to make friendships outside of that environment.

I felt privileged to have witnessed just a small part of her life.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi @marissa90,

Just relax, and bring the Lord into your day, thanking him for everything in simple ways. Let prayer be a natural extension of daily tasks, in thanksgiving, love and praise, during your day, at meal times, and while having fun together. Don't have set prayer times if she resents them.

Concentrate on your fellowship times with the Lord, so that you will be filled with the joy of your salvation, and then she will receive the overflow quite naturally, and what could be more attractive and inviting than that.

When she's naughty, admonish her in the way that you always have, and just trust God.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Hello Marissa! I have a 4 year old daughter. We learn so much by teaching the kids about God!! It might sound like just semantics. But there is a difference between teaching about God and teaching religion.

First and foremost thing is, they watch us and learn. We need to be better role models. Instead of teaching them prayer, we should pray with them. Based on our prayers, they will learn how to pray themselves. At such a young age, the only role models they have are parents. It becomes so very important for parents to be good role models.

When they do some thing wrong, instead of making them tell sorry to us, make them confess the wrong to God first. It is so important for us to highlight the importance of them being right with God first before being right with parents.

Teach the kid Bible verses and its meaning. They will ask questions which will amaze you! And they are so keen on learning. When my daughter was 2.5 years old, she once asked me what is grace! I thought it would be so difficult to explain. But she understood pretty well!!

It is natural for kids to say they don't like God or don't believe in God. Their belief would actually come from how much the parents believe in God. Kids keenly listen to us. When something good happens, to whom we attribute glory? Our hard work or to God? When they keep hearing us talking about God, they will believe there is God! And that He is good :)

Great advice - will be using this on my neices and nephews :)

Hi marissa90 ~

I would suggest a visit to a Christian Book Store in search of a Toddler Bible.

I found some are like chew toys for babies, some are too wordy, and some with a parents direction to read the few sentences on the pages, with lovely illustrations, (and a reference to the Bible verse, Chapter, number & verse), this being my preference.

Kids are like a little sponge, soaking up all the information around them. I would say there is no need to "teach" your child "religion", being too complex, but if you are interested in the Todler Bible with your child, so also will your child.

You might be surprised, after going through the "Toddler" Bible a few times, with your child, how quickly a child grasps, and can be encouraged to "read" it back to you. (Ie preach to you).

By listening to how the child speaks, (ie "reads"), will help you see how they are processing and understanding the information.

That makes flowing the Bible examples over into everyday general things with the child an easy transistion.

I happened to have had several toddlers at once of my own. And of course there were spats. (Which this may also work with adult and one child). (With tantrums)
Spat breaks out, seems to start escalating....
Time for a Power Circle. We would sit in a circle hold hands, And use our Power Words...

The intent of the The Power Words, is to send Satan away, and Asking Jesus to come into our hearts.

Age appropriate - little kids do not know what Satan is....but they know what mean is.
It might be
...mean, mean, jelly bean, go away.
My friend Jesus come to me and stay.

Just saying, it doesn't have to be the same old thing over and over.

Anyway, just some ideas.

God Bless,
IJN

There are endless ways to introduce a child to Jesus.
I think a useful thing to keep in mind, is not so much lecturing, but involving the child's participation.

As an example -
Above ~ letting them "read" back to you their Bible.

As an example ~
A Christian coloring book. (Not about If they stay in the lines)
Then hanging their "art work" in their room, and pointing out what they colored, Who is that?

Angels, Jesus is with you and watching over you while you sleep.

Simple way to hang "art work", is with a sting and close-pins.

Praise the child on their "art work", and encourage them to talk about it.

God Bless,
IJN

I would recommend the Beginners Bible to read together, even if shes just looking at pictures.
Then with prayer just explain you are talking to God and that He hears. That He and his angels are looking out for your daughter. You can also sing a lullaby, one I would teach which also has actions is

I can talk to God
About anything
I can talk to God
Cos He is listening

I can talk to God when Im happy
I can talk to God when Im sad
I can talk to God about anything
Even things that make me mad!

Corry ten boom had agood prayer for children. In a book from her the child was called Anton. She counted the fingers of the hand Jesus loves Anton very much. For each finger one word. Perhaps this can help you. God bless you

Back