Teaching Our Children To Connect With God

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear brothers and sisters;

In the Book of Deuteronomy Moses restated the covenant of God's commitment to His people. In chapter 6:5-9 is perhaps the greatest command to all of us and our children, and an important part of Moses' message to His people.

Deuteronomy 6:5-9, 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

My wife and I lost our child to a 6 month miscarriage back in 1985. We never had children after that but have helped raise 2 nephews and a 4 year old niece in our home with their parents. It hasn't been easy and it's still challenging today. We still manage to co-exist in our home along the lines of a Christian foundation and in many ways it has been a blessing.

Our 17 year old nephew will graduate from high school in a month and is already preparing for community college. Our 15 year is completing his freshman year in high school but is extremely quiet and most of the time we don't know what's on his mind. Our 4 year old niece just celebrated her birthday and is one of the most delightful people we have ever met.

We strive to paint love, peace, safety and nurturing on the doorposts given to our children, but along with that comes the social hardships of living in these times and when it is brought up in the home.

Is social unrest an example of the foundation behind closed doors with the family? Are parents solely responsible?

How do we set the example as parents and adult family to our children? There is no one for all answer so I'd like to listen as others share in this thread.

I'll share more later.

God bless you all, your children and families.

my thoughts

Well with my family even though we didn't grow up in church, I think with this verse about writing things on the door post and gates, it made me think of how blessed that we could stay in one place - that Dad had this house for us that is ours - it's not rented or leased, so we don't move around all the time.

In my job at school when there's unrest in the family home it means children are faced with moving from one family to the other and that's uncertain, and they could go to 10 different schools and have to make new friends all the time. This also means they might lose out on their learning and fall behind the others with all the disruption in their lives they cannot control.

I think grandparents can be a blessing while we have them.

They can reach out when parents are too busy, as its a lot now to keep a roof over ones head. I feel that I was quite close to my grandma who taught me things my mum didn't. My dad's parents were not just down the street like my grandma and consequently although we visited they weren't interested in teaching us as by that time they were older and weren't really bonding with us. We never stayed at their place overnight or anything.
Even just one grandparent or elder can make a difference. Maori had this system called 'whangai' which is fostering where the child is given to a grandparent. I do think in some christian circles it's just called being a godparent.

How do we set an example, I think by spending time and doing things with our children. Talk with them or write to them if you can't talk. When someone is quiet, they might have an outlet like writing or singing or playing an instrument, or some hobby where they can express themselves.

I think of how Jesus said that those that follow God are the same as his brothers, sisters, and mother. We get close to people the more we spend time with them. I think a big problem these days is families are split apart, even in marriages. I don't know if it's due to the way homes are designed or what. The suburban/urban land arrangement means that families don't live together anymore or it's too expensive. Once upon a time there was never such a thing as a mortgage and land wasn't bought or sold. You just had it and it was always there and it was gifted to your future generations. The way we live now nobody gives anything. It's sold off to the highest bidder.

I think if there is a family unit or group of people living together in an intentional community, it should be that everyone is responsible for the children. If you see any child misbehaving, tell them it’s wrong. It doesn’t have to be yours.

Moses led the Israelites through the Rd sea, and he camped out with his extended family. Didn’t they all share the same values? Didn’t they all have a duty to look out for one another and help with other people’s children’s and animals.?

Of course, it must be agreed to beforehand what is and isn’t acceptable or the community would not be as efficient. But if I lived in one I would definitely have to read and agree with rules😊

Back