Technology???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pose a question. How much do you think satan is behind technology? Sometimes it is very helpful, and other times it frustrates me. There is a scripture that says satan is the prince of the power of the air. What does that fully mean? I seem to remember also, that satan was created with great musical talent. Do certain annoying tones/warnings/buzzers have any origination by him? Just to try and get a negative reaction? It's something I've been pondering, and I just wanted to throw this concept out there for some feedback (not distortion, smile).

A tool is just a tool, it isn't either good nor evil. If this wasn't the case, then the Bible would be a very different read. If technology was a danger, then the Bible would warn greatly against it, but really it is almost the opposite. The Israelites made a LOT of bad decisions and walked away from God many, many times, yet never once were they chastised for embracing the newer technologies.

As far as Satan's subliminal control over sound, or giving him credit for great musical talent, I don't believe in giving Satan credit for any power that he hasn't earned fighting tooth and nail. The only reference I can think of regarding that is in the Mormon religion, though there could possible be some other less obvious references in the Bible. Some of the prophecies have very strange interpretations that aren't always obvious to me.

. I don't think technology is evil per se. As with other things, I think it's for us to find our own relationship with it. I feel the same way about music.

What I'll say is completely extra-Biblical.
According to theory, each and every spirit is "aligned" to one of the 4 primal elements (earth, water, air, and fire).
Thus, saying that Satan was a "spirit of the air" has symbolic meaning but not much else.

Annoying tones/buzzers/etc are designed to be annoying because their whole purpose is to attract attention.

Technology is neither good nor evil. God would want us to use our brains to the maximum. I would expect saved people to be more advanced then unsaved. Sin clouds our minds and keeps us in a state of regression.

If the devil had his way we would all be in poverty and suffering like most of Africa. If God had His way, we would all be in an advanced society with no wars and cures for all diseases and sicknesses.

The confusion comes in because wars create technology booms and today's advancing society is daily getting more 'noticeably' evil then any before. It is like the communism discussion. Scripture supports communism, but what we have today is evil people in leadership making scriptural communism impossible.

I appreciate everyone's input. It is making me feel more at ease. I will continue to pray and God for wisdom and guidance.

Again, thank you ^^^, and if anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to do so.

just google air bible verse, here's one : )

Matthew 6:25-34
King James Version (KJV)

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

How much do you think satan is behind technology?

Well, I personally have read quite a few materials showing a certain reason (rebuilding Atlantis) of a certain group of people (freemasons) and I have found most of those materials convincing enough. Especially since they use freemason materials to quote from, so…

A tool is just a tool, it isn't either good nor evil.

Excuse me, but I would have to disagree. Although I admit I do that based on not enough research. But there’s still this fact: there is an exponential (that’s far from linear) increase in both understanding and usage of technology lately in the world.

Beyond that, I know that some Christian scholars have claimed that the Bible speaks about such a thing happening in the end time, but I didn’t have yet the time to seriously look into that.

Technology is neither good nor evil. God would want us to use our brains to the maximum. I would expect saved people to be more advanced then unsaved.

Sorry, KingJ, but I would expect the opposite: the more Christian one is, the less he or she would deal with this world’s things - including technology, let alone paradigms. At least that’s how I see it.

And I don’t think that technology is an indicator of how close one (or the world) is to God. On the contrary, I see technology as how far one is from God. Simply because when you’re close to God there is no need for technology.

If the devil had his way we would all be in poverty and suffering like most of Africa.

I’m not sure I agree. For example consider the Catholic and Orthodox monks. Those giving up all sorts of material fortunes and goods for the love of Christ. For example, I know of a recent such case in Europe where a bank director gave up everything he had and went to a monastery. A few months later he declared that he didn’t know that such happiness is possible on Earth.

I think such fellows are immensely more Christian than me. And they will receive what was promised to them. As for me - well…

If God had His way, we would all be in an advanced society with no wars and cures for all diseases and sicknesses.

I agree, but not because there will be no wars and diseases due to the advanced society. Instead, simply because there could be no wars and diseases in a society listening to God.

Aha, look at how many words it took me to basically say what you quoted from the Bible in only 2 verses… Woe to me! And thanks for the reminder!

Aha, I reconsidered the possible reasons for you to state those Biblical verses and thus I must reply to the possibility that you quoted them in support for satan as a power of air. In that case, I don’t think those verse mean that – sorry. Instead, I think they mean what they actually read: that we shouldn’t worry about material things.

Feel free to share, Dumpster.

Ephesians 2:1,2 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespass and sins, (2) in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,

Sorry, KingJ, but I would expect the opposite: the more Christian one is, the less he or she would deal with this world’s things - including technology, let alone paradigms. At least that’s how I see it.

And I don’t think that technology is an indicator of how close one (or the world) is to God. On the contrary, I see technology as how far one is from God. Simply because when you’re close to God there is no need for technology.

I’m not sure I agree. For example consider the Catholic and Orthodox monks. Those giving up all sorts of material fortunes and goods for the love of Christ. For example, I know of a recent such case in Europe where a bank director gave up everything he had and went to a monastery. A few months later he declared that he didn’t know that such happiness is possible on Earth.

I think such fellows are immensely more Christian than me. And they will receive what was promised to them. As for me - well…

I agree, but not because there will be no wars and diseases due to the advanced society. Instead, simply because there could be no wars and diseases in a society listening to God.
Oh I agree with you regarding nuns and the like. But you are confusing putting the flesh under with using our God given talent / brains to the maximum. 1 Pet 4:10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. Einstein served the devil with the A -bomb, but imagine the contribution his mind could have made to the needy.

Look closely at African tribes. They have been superstitious / primitive since they first arrived. Demons / devil / witch-doctors have kept them down. God lifts us up and sets us free. Look at the USA ;).

Yeah...um....saying "the more Christian one is, the less he or she would deal with technology" doesn't help at all when working with youth.

As a group, they already see Christianity as old-fashioned, anti-science, and irrelevant to their modern lives. The above only furthers those misconceptions.

Yeah...um....saying "the more Christian one is, the less he or she would deal with technology" doesn't help at all when working with youth.

As a group, they already see Christianity as old-fashioned, anti-science, and irrelevant to their modern lives. The above only furthers those misconceptions.

I am just assuming that you're 'of' this younger generation solely by your comment. Perhaps still in school?

Just about done with grad school. At my church, I work a lot with middle and high school youth, and this "go Amish or you're not Christian" thing....well, just doesn't resonate with kids today.

Excuse me, but I would have to disagree. Although I admit I do that based on not enough research. But there’s still this fact: there is an exponential (that’s far from linear) increase in both understanding and usage of technology lately in the world.

Beyond that, I know that some Christian scholars have claimed that the Bible speaks about such a thing happening in the end time, but I didn’t have yet the time to seriously look into that.

Coincidence does not imply causality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back